Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has almost gotten to 200 games, one of the things always on my mind is to get all of my games played in a calendar year. I've used the app Boardgamestats (excellent purchase) which helps me not only keep track of my scores, but when the last time I played a game was. Do you folks try to get all of your games played at least once in a year? Obviously, there are some games I play far more often, but lately I've been trying to play each game at least once.

This also helps me determine which games should stay in my collection and which ones I don't want to bother with.

Curious to hear of your methods and if anyone keeps a chart of some sort of document as to how many times each game gets played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even try.

But I did recently go through my games and made a pile of 30 or so to get rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you intend to get rid of said games? I'm curious..it's a pain to sell them and trading them is expensive. I've given some of mine away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kalomiris
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: Syracuse UniversityMicrobadge: Dallas Cowboys fanMicrobadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: Pittsburgh Penguins fan
I started logging (with paper and pen) all our game plays this year. Not only did we want to see how many games we played but how many different games. Right now, we've played about 60 unique games a total of about 160 times, including games we've played at cons and our favorite boardgame cafe.

We also refer to the list when we're stumped about what to play next, and we'll try to pick out something we haven't played yet this year. Ultimately, I'd like to play all of our games at least once by the end of the year.

I hadn't thought about it, Brian, but I like the notion of using the log to help determine which games to pull from our collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sell mine here on BGG and on Craigslist. Some people have luck selling at conventions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on running a auction here and then giving the rest away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Firefly fanMicrobadge: Origins attendeeMicrobadge: Cyclades fan
Interesting...I just started logging my plays again here on BGG because I do want to keep track of what I play and I like to get games in my library to the table. However, trying to get through all the games I own feels like a chore to me, and takes some out of the fun out of it. If I don't play a game after one or two years, it's time to think about getting rid of it. I don't want to select a game to play just because I haven't played it yet this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I log all my plays (that I remember). If I'm at a con I will use a notebook to track them, then add the info here upon my return. Game nights, I'll do it that night on my phone. I do that for both owned and non-owned games. I also log solo or practice/runthrough games. (I don't log electronic plays, like Sentinels or Ascension on my tablet.)

I pick what I play or bring to game night based on who's going to be there and I want I want to play. I would never bring a wildly inappropriate game (Defenders of the Realm to a party game night, for example). I'm sure there are some games I haven't played in years - some I've never played.
I don't get rid of a game just because I've never played it - but if I don't think I'll ever play it, I will try to. Usually at cons (shipping seems to kill it for me). I don't necessarily want to make money, but I don't want to lose my shirt. I've sold maybe 15 games over the last two cons.

I often think "Hmm, I should play that game, I haven't played it in a while, and it is fun", but I don't really have quantifiable goals of "play everything within X". It's gaming, it's meant to be fun, putting that constriction on it makes it more like work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: A good night's sleep solves many problemsMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Less is moreMicrobadge: US Constitution
I'm also at the 200 mark. I could never attempt to play that number of games in a year, or even a decade. At a decade that would be 20 games a year. While I play at least that many times, my friends don't want to bounce from title to title. They want to sink their teeth into a game which means when I get something out we'll play it around 5 times before trying another. That's not 5 times in a row; we have about 3 or 4 games in a rotation at any one time, so new ones cycle in and old ones out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hoard em.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 42 games and aim to play each at least once in a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I log plays here on BGG. I don't really have any formal or set rotation; what gets played depends on how my mood strikes me, what I'm reading about at the time, and whether or not I have somebody to play the game with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my wife and I combined our game collections a few years ago, I decided to try to play the games we now jointly owned that I had not played yet, and I think I succeeded. But there are now 6 other games we have acquired but not played, so it's probably time to do it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
When I recently raided my mom's place for my childhood game collection, I thought it would be a good time to play everything that I hadn't recently. I actually have a Geeklist set up to track it, and I'm doing quite well.

However, my collection is only at 50, so it's still viable to play everything in a year without too much struggle. As it grows, that will be harder. Even by 75-100 I don't anticipate coming close. So it will be less about playing everything than just keeping track of what I'm not playing, to potentially sell it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all the board games I own in the last 3 months save for munchkin and Jenga. My rpg collection would be tough to cycle through this decade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my advice...

Play whatever you want to play.

Pete (doesn't worry about getting each game played)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Here's my advice...

Play whatever you want to play.

Pete (doesn't worry about getting each game played)
In fairness, that HAS to be your stance, for your sanity's sake. It's still a reasonable expectation for some of us.

But yes, I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dinger
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our collection is sitting right around 50, but we still play every game about once a month minimum. We play for about 5 - 6 hours every Friday and Saturday night; playing several games once each. We usually get another couple hours of play in on Sunday afternoons plus we'll play at least one or two games on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls