Subject: Help with miniature painting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Clifford
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I have been reading about basecoats, and my question is when starting do people use different base coat colors for different parts of the piece? Like skin color basecoat for skin and armor color for armor and so on? Or basecoat one color and go from there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I believe a single color base coat is best.

I'd head on over to the Miniature's Painters Guild and re-ask the question. They have much knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gaming since 1980Microbadge: Conan CCG Contest participantMicrobadge: Hammer's Slammers fanMicrobadge: One Ring to rule them all...Microbadge: RPGG +1 Chainmail of Generosity participant
A single color covering of the miniature is typically termed priming, and this is often done in white or black. Some painters choose to prime in other colors especially if a model is predominantly a single color.

Basecoat is typically a single color applied to specific parts of the figure (hair, skin, armor, etc.), which is then treated with a wash, dry brush, or highlight.

Here's a good link that might help: http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/paintingclinic/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff hutton
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I would use different basecoats if the mini had mulitple pieces before assembly.
Then I may be tempted to use different colored primers for each piece if that would save me time in painting.
(i usually use the army painter colored primer and did not use a basecoat.) Otherwise I use 1 color primter that make senses for the majority of the mini (when in doubt use grey .. or a warm neutral like bone)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
Microbadge: Whiskey!Microbadge: I love AutumnMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!Microbadge: Indianapolis Colts fanMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"
People seem to use the term "basecoat" with different meanings. It looks like a few people who have posted above, use the term "basecoat" to be synonymous with "primer".

I am in the camp with aronbc above. Basecoating, to me, means the first color applied after the primer. In that case, yes. Basecoat skin to be a skin tone, clothes in their main color, ... Armor is a a little different since I don't basecoat with an armor color, but with a brown or black, then go over it with a metallic afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aronbc wrote:
A single color covering of the miniature is typically termed priming, and this is often done in white or black. Some painters choose to prime in other colors especially if a model is predominantly a single color.

Basecoat is typically a single color applied to specific parts of the figure (hair, skin, armor, etc.), which is then treated with a wash, dry brush, or highlight.

Here's a good link that might help: http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/paintingclinic/
This +1

To others - be careful not to confuse "primer" and "base-coat" as terms, it confuses beginners. They are definitely NOT the same thing. Both have very specific purposes. It is possible to use a coloured primer to avoid the need to base-coat some areas of the figure (i.e. zombie-flesh primer) but it's still a primer!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls