United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: Global Religious ToleranceMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ameritrash fanMicrobadge: Golden Reviewer
https://www.facebook.com/nytimes/?fref=nf

Looks like they caught him in a big one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Monsterpocalypse fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 07 BGG posterMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing fan
Shall we start the congressional hearings now, or wait until after the elections?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Microbadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: Star Fleet Battles fanMicrobadge: VeganMicrobadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: Rifts® The Role-playing Game fan
Donald wrote:
Shall we start the congressional hearings now, or wait until after the elections?
Why not both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
We need to start impeachment proceedings right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I support Germany!Microbadge: Punk fanMicrobadge: FC Bayern München fanMicrobadge: Meat eaterMicrobadge: Ska fan
Carson makes up more shit than Drew does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew1365 wrote:
Just another high-tech lynching of a black man.
nothing better than when white dipshits use "lynching" to describe "pointing out what are at best major inconsistencies in a personal narrative" rather than, for example, "a mob of private citizens beating somebody to death"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
But this is a basic case of misinterpreting facts, not an outright lie. Carson served in ROTC. Prominent people wanted him to go to West Point. He wouldn’t have had to pay. He didn’t apply because he didn’t want to go. Those facts are not in dispute. It’s the specific wording over which media have decided to crucify him.
I agree with all that.

You know who won't accept an argument like that? I recall one particular RSP poster splitting hairs over whether a kid who'd assembled components inside a case had "made" the resulting object; who was that guy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Pathfinder RPG fanMicrobadge: I are serious cat. This is serious microbadge.
Drew1365 wrote:
Just another high-tech lynching of a black man.
Glad you're not trying to make it about race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Microbadge: Addams Family fanMicrobadge: Boardgaming is my religion!Microbadge: I Read Game Rules on the ToiletMicrobadge: Invisible Sky Fairies - Gaming invisibly since forever.Microbadge: Luddite
You're asking a group of people to disbelieve a clam that has no evidence to back it up. I'm thinking that a lot of Carson supporters have no problem with that whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Oregon fanMicrobadge: University of ArizonaMicrobadge: Games MagazineMicrobadge: 2.718 281 828 459 045 235 360 287 471 352 662 497 757 247 093 699 959 574 966 967 627 724 076 630 353 547 594 571 382 178 525 166 427 427 466 391 932 003 059 921 817 413 596 629 043 572 900 334 295 260 595 630 738 132 328 627 943 490 763 233 829 ...Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fan
MWChapel wrote:
Wait a minute. This one is hard to defend because there is an actual published book that stated:

Quote:
"I was offered a full scholarship to West Point," Carson wrote. "I didn't refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn't where I saw myself going. As overjoyed as I felt to be offered such a scholarship, I wasn't really tempted. The scholarship would have obligated me to spend four years in military service after I finished college, precluding my chances to go on to medical school."
Where is the misinterpretation? "I WAS OFFERED A FULL SCHOLARSHIP TO WEST POINT".

I don't see the spin? Either he was or he wasn't.
If you can't imagine someone looking into colleges talking to a General who with a letter could guarantee you admission into West Point who tells you that you could go to West Point if you want (which is fully free, btw, kinda like a full scholarship, and you saying that you weren't looking for a military career, and thus not applying, being similar to 'being offered a full scholarship' (which he probably basically was), then you're just fully partisan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: BattleGround: Fantasy Warfare fanMicrobadge: The Battle for Hill 218 fanMicrobadge: Copper Session ReporterMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Copper Geeklister
MWChapel wrote:
Wait a minute. This one is hard to defend because there is an actual published book that stated:

Quote:
"I was offered a full scholarship to West Point," Carson wrote. "I didn't refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn't where I saw myself going. As overjoyed as I felt to be offered such a scholarship, I wasn't really tempted. The scholarship would have obligated me to spend four years in military service after I finished college, precluding my chances to go on to medical school."
Where is the misinterpretation? "I WAS OFFERED A FULL SCHOLARSHIP TO WEST POINT".

I don't see the spin? Either he was or he wasn't.
Sure. But let's make the plausible assumption that he was told that he'd be accepted if he applied and that his costs would be fully covered. An excited high school student could easily misunderstand that to mean he was being offered a full scholarship. Granted, by the time he was an adult he should have recognized that that wasn't quite accurate but memories distort over time.

That's the favorable spin. The unfavorable view, which I think is more plausible, is also pretty mild as "issues" go. It's that he embellished. Maybe he didn't know that costs are always paid so he thought he was, in essence, being offered a full scholarship in a meaningful sense. Maybe he just thought that sounded better than, "Some prominent people told me that I'd get accepted if I applied." Is that a shining moment he should be proud of? No. Is it something that makes him unfit to be President? Also, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
Microbadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge:  I always lie... and I'm always right!Microbadge: Planet Steam fanMicrobadge: When you listen to Coil, do you think of music?Microbadge: Popular Front fan
Between stopping shootings, considering stabbing as a vocation, and humble-bragging about his school options, when did he find the time to become a brilliant surgeon? Talk about an American success story - "Carson: Livin' the Dream!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Oregon fanMicrobadge: University of ArizonaMicrobadge: Games MagazineMicrobadge: 2.718 281 828 459 045 235 360 287 471 352 662 497 757 247 093 699 959 574 966 967 627 724 076 630 353 547 594 571 382 178 525 166 427 427 466 391 932 003 059 921 817 413 596 629 043 572 900 334 295 260 595 630 738 132 328 627 943 490 763 233 829 ...Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fan
MWChapel wrote:

It's plausible, if you were and idiot, and I don't want an Idiot to be POTUS.
shake

Recruiters trying to get me to go to a military academy often told me I would get a "full ride" and "not have to pay anything".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
Microbadge: I Love SnowMicrobadge: CaliforniaMicrobadge: Fjords fanMicrobadge: WashingtonMicrobadge: I love Snow
The bondage helmet (check that gag) sold me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
Microbadge: Level 19 BGG posterMicrobadge: I use BitcoinsMicrobadge: I helped celebrate BGG Werewolf's 10th Anniversary!Microbadge: The Zeitgeist MovementMicrobadge: I play with blue!
Actually, this is the most reasonable thing being said about him in the media recently. This should improve his poll numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
epilgrim wrote:
Between stopping shootings, considering stabbing as a vocation, and humble-bragging about his school options, when did he find the time to become a brilliant surgeon? Talk about an American success story - "Carson: Livin' the Dream!"
You forgot about filling up the Great Pyramids with grain!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I support Germany!Microbadge: Punk fanMicrobadge: FC Bayern München fanMicrobadge: Meat eaterMicrobadge: Ska fan
SerialPanda wrote:
epilgrim wrote:
You forgot about filling up the Great Pyramids with grain!!
See, he doesn't actually KNOW that. He just believes it...because the Bible or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:

Curses, foiled again! He didn't actually lie! But the hate must still flow!
He can leave no stupid unconquered.

No legit secret site left unharvested.

No logical fallacy unused.

No story left unmade

and no lie left untold.

HE IS OUR KING.

KING OF RSP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I bike after midnight
kuhrusty wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
But this is a basic case of misinterpreting facts, not an outright lie. Carson served in ROTC. Prominent people wanted him to go to West Point. He wouldn’t have had to pay. He didn’t apply because he didn’t want to go. Those facts are not in dispute. It’s the specific wording over which media have decided to crucify him.
I agree with all that.

You know who won't accept an argument like that? I recall one particular RSP poster splitting hairs over whether a kid who'd assembled components inside a case had "made" the resulting object; who was that guy?
hey now pointing out his own inconsistencies to drew is stalking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
Drew1365 wrote:
External image
even carson himself backed away from his claims now so no need for you to defend them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
You guys just wish this will be a swift boat moment.

It isn't. But you can hope.
since the "swift boat moment" was an unfounded political smear campaign are you saying this attack on carson is actually fair and true
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I'm no supporter of Carson, but this is making something out of nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Corps is Mother, the Corps is FatherMicrobadge: Copper GeeklisterMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Copper RPG CollectorMicrobadge: Wrongtadictory
TheChin! wrote:
Donald wrote:
Why not both?
Why not have 15?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Corps is Mother, the Corps is FatherMicrobadge: Copper GeeklisterMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Copper RPG CollectorMicrobadge: Wrongtadictory
Aetheros wrote:
I'm no supporter of Carson, but this is making something out of nothing.
es, think that is the point, it's a piss take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Is it something that makes him unfit to be President? Also, no.

The consistent and constant fabrication of reality by this guy is though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |