G Bowen

Hebden Bridge
W Yorks
msg tools
There are 20 Concord humans, 3 medium drones and 5 small. This is about 500-600 points depending on options, roughly 6 dice. The Ghar have 6 suits only usable as 2 units and come out roughly 400 points and 2 dice that can be upped to 4 with some risk of losing dice during games. There are a lot more options to buy than in Bolt Action such as grenades plus 10% of a force can be spent on army tactics like forcing a dice redraw.

Almost all troops have some sort of armour which improves their save. Some armour works better in different circumstances. The weapon selection is also wider than in Bolt Action where the rifle is king. Some of these weapons have special effects so a note of weapons and what they do will save some rulebook thumbing. The number of special rules is not as great as in 40K but there could be the beginnings of the same flood of special rules here.

Hitting, saving and pinning is D10 based with a 1 always bad and a 10 good. Pinning is more complex than in Bolt Action although the overall concept is the same.

The minis are much the same size as 40K but the humans are more slender. Detail is also less crisp for the humans although the Ghar are strongly accented. There are limited options for replacement features on the sprues. You do not end up with the heap of spares as with 40K sprues. 4 human sprues are included and 6 Ghar. Looking at the size and parts I estimate the national sets as smaller and with less bits than the Bolt Action WW2 boxes. If the WW2 boxes retail at £25 (30 human minis) then I would estimate 2 * £20 worth of plastics here. The separate rulebook is £30. The whole sold pre-order for £70 but eBayers already have it at £65 (including launch special figures). With the pre-order transmat probably worth £5, a Warlord order would about break even on the parts. This situation should be compared to the GW big box sets that generally hold a heap more stuff than buying in parts (although this is not so for the last tau and white scars boxes).
Few separate minis are available yet but Warlord must have good stocks of the plastics. Most vehicles are hover propelled and there is extensive use of drones. Armies also rely on squad weapons like mortars and small artillery both of which are rare in 40K

This would make the best proxies:
Tau as Concord for drones and able to use Concord as Tau human auxiliaries in 40K. Except for being hoofed, blue and 3 fingered Tau are pretty much Concord.
Eldar for the bikes and skimmers as Concord or Algoryn. Dark Eldar are a better buy as the 40K meta won't touch them and they go for less on eBay
Space Marines for Concord or Algoryn
Necrons have some nice flyers and skimmers so Concord or Algoryn
Imperial Guard as Freeborn as that is the only human race with un-armoured infantry
Gretchin or chaos cultists as Ghar infantry, Chaos dredds or killa kans as Ghar suits but both of these are really pushing the envelope
Tyranid as Boromite and that is straining the system.

I have my minis in the box painted but not based up yet, it has been too wet here for the varnish and basetex to dry. My hope for the system is to get more 40K players to play. Locally there is some resentment against codex creep. Looking at the points and special rules Antares games will need a lot less figures than 40K (if you have big 40K armies this may not be a good thing). It will also involve less dice pulling than Bolt Action unless play shows that the very few low quality cheap figures are worth spamming. Any detailed gameplay feedback will have to wait until I get some games in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Bunny

Santa Maria
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of Sedition Wars troops.
How do you think the Vanguard troopers from Sedition Wars would do as substitutions for Concord troops? Are they the right scale?

I have SO many of those kicking around after that sad fiasco that was the battle for alabaster it'd be great to be able to get them on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Bowen

Hebden Bridge
W Yorks
msg tools
Sedition Wars is not a system that I know. Any 28mm Games Workshop like figure will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls