Subject: The production system looks ingenious rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after having studied ALL available information and pictures in great detail, I think I have figured out at least some of how the production system works for the game and it seems like a brilliant design.

Units are either ground units or space units.

Based on the shape of their base, units are also either light (triangle), medium (circle), or heavy (square/rectangle).

Planetary production capability is defined by the color, number, and shape of the production icons on that planet. Since orange represents ground capability and blue represents space capability, an orange triangle for example means that planet produces one light ground unit. A blue square would translate to a heavy space unit.

Exactly what unit is constructed of that category appears to be faction-specific.

For the Empire it looks pretty straightforward:

- Orange Triangle produces a Stormtrooper unit
- Orange Circle produces an AT-ST unit
- Orange Square produces an AT-AT unit
- Blue Triangle produces a TIE Fighter unit
- Blue Circle produces one of those light carrier looking things (I actually don't know what those are supposed to be, does anyone else know? EDIT: It has been identified as a Gozanti class Assault Carrier from the Rebels cartoon)
- Blue Square produces a Star Destroyer unit

The Rebel sheet is a bit harder to see and appears to be somewhat different.

- Orange Square produces a ground trooper unit
- Orange Circle likely produces an Air Speeder unit
- Orange Square has two options that likely correspond to the Ion Cannon and Shield Generator minis
- Blue Triangle has 3 separate options, 2 of them being X-Wing and Y-Wing units and the third seems to be the ubiquitous Rebel transport
- Blue Circle produces a Corvette unit
- Blue Square produces a Cruiser unit

This means that instead of having to spend points or resources, the units each planet produces is clearly printed on the board and easy to read and understand.

For example, if Corellia is controlled by the Empire it would produce a TIE Fighter and a Star Destroyer. While if Sullust was controlled by the Empire it would produce a Stormtrooper and an AT-AT.

Now there seems to be a second layer to the production system. Both players have 3 out of play zones on the side of the map that seem to correlate to units that are in production but haven't yet been deployed. Each planet has a small green number that seems to relate to one of these zones. This could mean that units produced by those planets are produced in that zone, and it could also mean that units in the further out zones (2 or 3) will only be available during later turns.

We also aren't certain how and when units are placed on the map. Leaders may be required to rally new units to the map, as they are required for moving them.

I notice that quite a few planets have no production icons at all.

All in all I really like the concept of the system for its simplicity and for how it can shape the strategy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Those are Assault Carriers from the Rebels cartoon.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/31/lying-i...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Those are Assault Carriers from the Rebels cartoon.
And it seems to work as kind of transport for ground units (although Star Destroyers should be able to carry some troops as well)

the third blue triangle for the Rebels should be the transport:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems extremely plausible. It also reminds me of the unit system in Commands & Colors: Ancients, where color and symbol referred to light, medium, and heavy units, and the unit picture would determine whether it was mounted, foot, archer, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds ... uh - sound

I'd like the system you propose here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Timmons
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I believe those transports are Wayfarer class transport ships.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wayfarer-class_medium_transpo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem you've incorporated any of the actual ffg description of production into your theory.

So . . . you might be a little off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's a great analysis and it sounds like a simple yet effective system.

However, there is one BIG question: how do those heavier rebel units end up in the rebel base, if you can only produce light ground and space units there? There must be a way to move (heavier) units into the base off the board somehow. How would that work?

I also wonder, if it is as you describe, it would mean some planets would be completely incapable of producing certain types of units. Is it really like that or is it that the symbols only mean that those planets excel at building those types of units? Looking at the distribution of icons, there seems to be only very few icons for heavy ground and space units (which thematically makes sense), so how would rebels then build an ion cannon or a shield generator on any planet without those icons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:
I think that's a great analysis and it sounds like a simple yet effective system.

However, there is one BIG question: how do those heavier rebel units end up in the rebel base, if you can only produce light ground and space units there? There must be a way to move (heavier) units into the base off the board somehow. How would that work?

I also wonder, if it is as you describe, it would mean some planets would be completely incapable of producing certain types of units. Is it really like that or is it that the symbols only mean that those planets excel at building those types of units? Looking at the distribution of icons, there seems to be only very few icons for heavy ground and space units (which thematically makes sense), so how would rebels then build an ion cannon or a shield generator on any planet without those icons?
Look at the card:

There's production and deploy. You don't need to produce and place units on the same planet. You put production on the queue track on the right side of the board. It seems that you need more actions/time before they become available and ready to play and can than be placed anywhere (maybe only in populous systems, those with loyalty and resourse markers?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering what that red marker put over the production symbols is on this image:

That's most likely the sabotage marker mentioned on the Sabotage card.

Interesting distinction between building and deploying units, though. I wonder if it's tied to leaders, as so much else is. That an action you could do is to make a system you're in produce units and place them on the build track. And another action a leader can do is to deploy units in the system they're in. But then they'd have to take them from the "1" spot on the build track, and that doesn't really make sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
scifiantihero wrote:
It doesn't seem you've incorporated any of the actual ffg description of production into your theory.

Like what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Weber
msg tools
Lobosolo85 wrote:
Actually, I believe those transports are Wayfarer class transport ships.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wayfarer-class_medium_transpo...
Nope, definitely Gozanti class transports.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gozanti-class_cruiser
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Like what?
Yes please enlighten me and I will update the original post. I read everything I could find on the game but it's perfectly possible I missed or misunderstood something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:

Now there seems to be a second layer to the production system. Both players have 3 out of play zones on the side of the map that seem to correlate to units that are in production but haven't yet been deployed. Each planet has a small green number that seems to relate to one of these zones. This could mean that units produced by those planets are produced in that zone, and it could also mean that units in the further out zones (2 or 3) will only be available during later turns.

We also aren't certain how and when units are placed on the map. Leaders may be required to rally new units to the map, as they are required for moving them.

I notice that quite a few planets have no production icons at all.

All in all I really like the concept of the system for its simplicity and for how it can shape the strategy of the game.

From one of the announcement articles:

Quote:
Here, the two Star Wars™: Rebellion game boards are shown side-by-side, forming your galaxy. A closer look at Mon Calamari™ reveals the hexagonal space in which either the Rebel or Imperial player could place a loyalty marker, as well as its two resource icons and the "3" in the green circle to their left, which indicates where any ships that you build using its resources would be placed on the build track.
So I wonder if the small yellow number in the circle relates to either the portion of the board on the right, as you describe.

Or is it something to do with the 'track' along the left of the board? Or is that to track loyalty/VPs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
When you look at the right border of the board, you see six spaces. There are three, numbered 1,2,3 for the Imperial player and three, also numbered 1,2,3 for the Rebel player.

The small yellow "3" in the example refers to these spaces and I guess the to be produced units are placed there and are moved 1 space (from 3 to 2, from 2 to 1 and from 1 onto a planet on the board) each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:
When you look at the right border of the board, you see six spaces. There are three, numbered 1,2,3 for the Imperial player and three, also numbered 1,2,3 for the Rebel player.

The small yellow "3" in the example refers to these spaces and I guess the to be produced units are placed there and are moved 1 space (from 3 to 2, from 2 to 1 and from 1 onto a planet on the board) each turn.
That is my going theory as well but the truth is we just don't know.

I'm pretty sure somewhere else in an article it mentioned that planets produce units every other turn, but these produced units appear to go to the track first. How this "build track" works and how unit are placed onto the map are my biggest remaining questions about the production system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:

This is pure guess: Perhaps the designers will reach back to "Freedom in the Galaxy" and allow the Rebel player to stockpile units there. They will not appear until the "Base" is discovered by the Imperials or the Rebel player decides to reveal his base and place his stockpiled units.

This is --again-- pure speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
sharpe1813 wrote:
Jamiri wrote:

This is pure guess: Perhaps the designers will reach back to "Freedom in the Galaxy" and allow the Rebel player to stockpile units there. They will not appear until the "Base" is discovered by the Imperials or the Rebel player decides to reveal his base and place his stockpiled units.

This is --again-- pure speculation.
I think this has been pretty much confirmed by SUSD's podcast where they discuss the demo session they got of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos
United States
Bourbonnais
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:

- Blue Circle produces one of those light carrier looking things (I actually don't know what those are supposed to be, does anyone else know? EDIT: It has been identified as a Gozanti class Assault Carrier from the Rebels cartoon)
Not in the Rebels cartoon as far as I know (haven't seen season 2 yet). According to Wookieepedia, it was in the The Clone Wars cartoon and, uh, Episode I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb