Alex F
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am really happy this game got released. Instant purchase for me because I really enjoyed Burgundian Wars and War of the Public Weal (which by the way ranks very highly for me with "best name for a war ever").

Anyway, I have some rules questions:

- Scenario 1 has reinforcements on Round #4, scenario 2 does not. Was this an omission?

- Scenario 1 has some control markers placed on locations that have no RP and no VP. For example is says that the Holy League controls SZ 30.
I assumed that it does not actually matter who controls a SZ that has no strategic value? Why specify control for these zones in the scenario?

- What does this sentence mean in section "Diplomacy" on page 11 of the Game Specific Rules:
Quote:
The elimination of the highest ranking commander of an allied power does not neutralise it

Also why we are at neutrals, is there any reason not to occupy for example SZ 52 of Ferrara? Seems like "free resources" and no drawback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
Re: Rules questions: Scenario 2 reinforcements / Control markers / Diplomacy
One more confusion after I have set up the game:

- French commander Lautrec is not used
- French setup says "Commander #1" is set up in Dauphiné. There is only a French Swiss "Commander #1" but he will enter as reinforcement in round #8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
Can eliminated French Landsknecht mercenaries re-enter the game in any way?

And how about French Swiss units? The "Diplomacy" rules say:
Quote:
These units in service to France can then return to the game, either as reinforcements in round 8 for scenario #2, or by spending the required RP during any round

The rules for reinforcement say that you cannot place units in an SZ controlled by the enemy. Is this rule not enforced for French Swiss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent GERARD
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Bob,

- Scenario 2 should also have the event about the death of Alviano.

- Well...obviously, there is a mistake here. Don't bother with the SZ with no strategic value...I think these zones may have had some value at some point during the developpment (I don't have the playtest map anymore...) of the game, hence this error.

- This sentence means that when you loose the commander in chief of one of your allied powers, this allied power is not neutralised and is still in play.

- Yes, there is one : For you are kind...If not...there are some points for you...These small italian states can't do anything against les armies fighting here.

- Well, use Lautrec in place of "Leader #1", I'll see that with Philippe. Also, there is no mistake about Trivulzio (Trivulce on the counter) : he is in SZ 1 at the start of the game with François but then will join the Venician on October 1515.

- You can recruit the mercenaries again after they "died". Just as the Landsknecht, Swiss Mercenaries allied to France will be deployed in any SZ controlled by France. I'll see Philippe to write it the right way in the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
Thanks Vincent, that clears everything up

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. Lots of strategic possibilities for both sides. Looks like a tough game to win for the Holy League, the French are a real juggernaut - and rightfully so!

I hope this will not be the last game in the series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent GERARD
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for your comments

Yes, the French Royal Army is a juggernaut...but does cost a lot to maintain. It will not be possible to keep everybody on duty for ever...so the Holy League should play on time, gets its reinforcement and strike back.

And...yeah, there will be more games to come...and Philippe had an amazing idea. It's that very same period of history. Just head west a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
Now that you're talking about mercenaries there is something I found curious with how I understand the rules.

It seems to me that it is the best idea everytime you have to assign casualties to always assign them to your mercenaries.
Because then in the next replacement phase, instead of paying their upkeep, you can just buy them back for the same price. Since there are no placement restrictions other than a French-controlled SZ they will always be able to reinforce any army you want. And at the same time your free upkeep non-mercenary units stay alive.

Or am I missing a rule that prevents this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephane vuillaume
France
flag msg tools
mb
In french forum strategikon, the designer says that Swiss pro-french replacements are placed in zone 14, Lansquenets pro-french in zone 1, and Swiss pro-german in zone 14 or 48.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent GERARD
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stephane

But yeah, as the upkeep cost of your mercenaries is the same as the purchase cost, you may want to kill your mercenaries first...and well...it's pretty much what they are for. Die first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PHILIPPE HARDY
France
LYON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Bob,

Nice to see your interest in that game and in the series Gold & Steel.

Thanks to Vincent who answered correctly.

Regarding bringing back mercenaries casualties it's tricky ; you pay them if they are still on the map or as reinforcement for the same price of course BUT in between, you will have the opportunity to use the freed Recruitment points (=money) to move a diplomacy marker.

In this case this is in balance : brute force or soft diplomacy ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PHILIPPE HARDY
France
LYON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Control marker on SZ 30 is a mistake, skip it. You have 15 markers for the 15 other SZ who are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PHILIPPE HARDY
France
LYON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also why we are at neutrals, is there any reason not to occupy for example SZ 52 of Ferrara? Seems like "free resources" and no drawback.

SZ 52, 54, 2, 3, 6 , 11, 12, 67, 45, 34, 35, 38, 39 (see p11, 3rd column, bottom) are historically neutrals and have no influence on the game and - yes - can be freely plundered...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.