Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Hendrickson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see any other threads on here, so I thought I'd ask. Has anyone thought about coming up with some sort of minor bonus for the different objective tokens? I was mildly disappointed when I read that the objectives, despite representing different things, provide no in-game benefit other than fluff. Even just something like getting a token for holding an objective, or some amount of materiel.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Djordje Milovancev
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about the same thing as a matter of fact. The objectives feel kind of meaningless and pointless when they give you nothing, no bonuses, no upgrade, materiel, tokens etc. But, it would be reeeeeealy hard to balance these things. Some one could just rush the obj. and steamroll the rest because they would have an advantage...i don't know, maybe give something small? Just one token, just two materiel, one tier 0 upgrade, or a 2$ discount on an upgrade...it needs to be play tested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
It says "Scythe"
badge
Something Clever!
Microbadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Forbidden Stars fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fan
I'm very much in agreement that the cool falvorful text for each objective serves no purpose so you don't bother looking at it but once.

Let's take a crack at it!

3 Orks examples:

Good Lootin' - 3 Materiel
Good Fightin' - You may convert shield dice to morale for one combat
Good Racin' - Battle wagons provide +1 Morale for one combat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I had thought it would be good to make each objective worth 1 material per turn. Rushing objectives is Suicide without some kind of bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicholas nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've got to say, I'm surprised to see this idea appear popular. Don't get me wrong, I too lament the "wasted space" on the objective tokens, but I'd hate to give any kind of extra bonus to the play who claimser them.

Hopefully claiming that objective did set you back, because it has just given you 25-50% of a victory! (You know, depending on the number of players.)

Material is so tight in this game, and that's one of the reasons I love it. Every cent matters. I'd hate to see whoever was already in the lead snowball even farther that way. Holding the planet long enough to claim an objective already likely gives you a material advantage anyways- unless it was a zero resource world of course.

While I don't think I'd like that variant with any number of players, in two player games, extra material for objectives would be nothing short of game breaking. If at any point you have one objective token and your opponent has zero, they are at a disadvantage indeed. Suddenly, you can just turtle until time runs out and win by default. I've won and lost a few 2 player games this way.

All that disagreeing aside, you guys are right that it would add some really interesting flavor. If they ever make forbidden stars legacy, I hope the objective tokens secured and lost factor into the changes directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
what bonus? You are already 1 step closer to victory. What else you need? You want to snowball everyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyrtt wrote:
what bonus? You are already 1 step closer to victory. What else you need? You want to snowball everyone?
This. Any further bonuses only serve to promote a run away leader problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Brodnica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To be honest - this is a fun idea to give a bonus related to the objective token. Consider this rules...

1. Each objective token is connected to specific event card.
2. Those event cards are not included in the event deck until connected objective token is claimed.
3. After claiming an objective token the card is given to a player (schemes go to the the player's play area, tactics are resolved) and added to the event deck after use.
4. An alternative way of warpstorms movement should be applied (k8 die and a table perhaps).

I'm not sure, if connection mentioned in point 1 is flavor-wise possible with current set of event cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whatzzit forya
msg tools
Idea of me mates and mine:
Each token u gain, give one time dice reroll - place token face down in ur play area, revert it to indicate u have permanently used up this feature. No discounts, no extra resource, just dice reroll. Insignificant, but can save your butt in dire situation (or make it worse - everything in this game is double edged sword)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls