Subject: Leader Rules (to Make them Slightly More Important) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miles Myers
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn - Jessa Na NiMicrobadge: 2017 Platinum SupporterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2017
The one thing I didn't like about the game was the Leader position which only serves to determine the first player. I read that Plaid Hat had various rules in the Playtest, but dropped them and that there is a possibility of future expansions doing stuff with them, but I wanted a little something that the Leaders could do now, so it would make the decision of who your leader is a little bit harder.

I House Rule that the Leader is able to exert themselves once per round. That means they can do one of two things. First off they can choose to use an Action Die of one less than normal to perform a Search or Attack. Or instead, they can choose to activate a Once Per Round ability a second time. If you choose to exert your leader you have to roll the Exposure Die for them and suffer any outcomes.

You can also change your leader once per round as well, but if you do you use one less Action Die for that round (thematically showing that the usurped Leader doesn't want to pull his weight that turn). You can still use your previously leader for any tasks that round, you're only suffering the loss of that extra Action Die. This would force you to really think about switching your leader.

This rule makes the leader slightly more powerful, but with having to roll the Exposure Die it still keeps the game balanced. I felt it doesn't complicate the rules that much, but adds an extra layer of decision making to the game. I hope you enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

An interesting variant. I like most of it. Some questions:

Your rule: "First off they can choose to use an Action Die of one less than normal to perform a Search or Attack."
While I get what you're trying to say, I don't understand this sentence. What do you mean by, "one less than normal"? Do you mean that the player rolls a die and subtracts one from the result? And who's action die do they use? Their own? Do you mean they re-roll one of their own used action dice?

Leaders are good at being able to get more done than the average person, so I see where your "they can do one of two things per round" variant is coming from. But true leaders also have the ability to get their followers to do more than they otherwise would. As such, have you considered allowing the leader to pass their additional action to a follower instead of taking it themselves?

What's the thematic reasoning for requiring the leader to roll the Exposure Die whenever they take advantage of their extra leader ability? For the normal rules, the exposure die represents the possible outcomes of either physically engaging with a zombie or being overexposed to the cold, while traveling.

About changing the leader once per round... do you allow the first leader to be returned to the leadership position two or three round later? In real life, this wouldn't be common. Once a leader is booted, it's unlikely to be accepted as a leader ever again. It becomes more likely though, if the person who replaced the leader ends-up dead. Then in this case, it would be reasonable to return the previous leader to power. Just thinking out loud.

Regardless of my comments above, the approach you're taking here is great. I look forward to the final version of this variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure he means the leader can use a die that has a value = search/attack value minus 1 to search/attack. So Sparky can use a 1 for either attack or search.

Maybe a better way to say it would be "once per round, add 1 to the result of an unused action die - this action die must be used to attack or search."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

downeymb wrote:
I'm pretty sure he means the leader can use a die that has a value = search/attack value minus 1 to search/attack. So Sparky can use a 1 for either attack or search.
Ah, OK. That makes sense now. My dunderhead brain didn't get that earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Myers
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn - Jessa Na NiMicrobadge: 2017 Platinum SupporterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2017
bgm1961 wrote:

An interesting variant. I like most of it. Some questions:

Your rule: "First off they can choose to use an Action Die of one less than normal to perform a Search or Attack."
While I get what you're trying to say, I don't understand this sentence. What do you mean by, "one less than normal"? Do you mean that the player rolls a die and subtracts one from the result? And who's action die do they use? Their own? Do you mean they re-roll one of their own used action dice?

Leaders are good at being able to get more done than the average person, so I see where your "they can do one of two things per round" variant is coming from. But true leaders also have the ability to get their followers to do more than they otherwise would. As such, have you considered allowing the leader to pass their additional action to a follower instead of taking it themselves?

What's the thematic reasoning for requiring the leader to roll the Exposure Die whenever they take advantage of their extra leader ability? For the normal rules, the exposure die represents the possible outcomes of either physically engaging with a zombie or being overexposed to the cold, while traveling.

About changing the leader once per round... do you allow the first leader to be returned to the leadership position two or three round later? In real life, this wouldn't be common. Once a leader is booted, it's unlikely to be accepted as a leader ever again. It becomes more likely though, if the person who replaced the leader ends-up dead. Then in this case, it would be reasonable to return the previous leader to power. Just thinking out loud.

Regardless of my comments above, the approach you're taking here is great. I look forward to the final version of this variant!

Yeah, M. B. Downey had it right, that's what I was trying to say. That was my fault for not wording it properly. It should have said it how he worded it, "Once per round, add 1 to the result of an unused action die - this action die must be used to attack or search."

As for having to roll the Exposure Die mechanically I wanted there to be a downside so that you really have to think about the decision. Thematically, it could be seen as a Leader pushing themselves beyond their limits or taking risks that they wouldn't normally do which could lead them to getting hurt or killed.

I really like your idea of a switched Leader not normally being allowed to lead again. I'm going to make it a rule in my games now, that a switched leader can only become the group leader again as a result of a death. That really works thematically and forces you to think about when you should switch your leader. Thanks for the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls