Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry DeYoung
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never ordered from Amazon.de before, but I'm now looking into it for some games that are difficult to get in the US. What are people's experience with Amazon.de's shipping? Do the games arrive in good shape? If not, how difficult is it to obtain a good quality replacement copy?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
hdeyoung wrote:
I've never ordered from Amazon.de before, but I'm now looking into it for some games that are difficult to get in the US. What are people's experience with Amazon.de's shipping? Do the games arrive in good shape? If not, how difficult is it to obtain a good quality replacement copy?

Thanks!
check some of the following threads I've tagged at...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/tag/amazon.de/user/JeffyJeff?t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I placed an order for 5 games earlier this year. They were shipped in 2 different boxes.

Box 1, 2 games: Shipping box was in good shape on arrival. Games inside were also in good shape.

Box 2, 3 games: Shipping box was beat up. There weren't any holes in the box, but it was dented and the packing tape was a bit stretched. 2 of the 3 games inside were fine; the 3rd game was damaged. 1 corner of both the top and bottom lids were ripped, and the insert inside was damaged enough that I just threw it out. I contacted amazon.de and they gave me the option of 1) keeping the damaged game and accepting some $, or 2) keeping the damaged game and amazon would send me a new one free of charge. I chose option 1, and I was perfectly satisfied with that outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry DeYoung
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
I contacted amazon.de and they gave me the option of 1) keeping the damaged game and accepting some $, or 2) keeping the damaged game and amazon would send me a new one free of charge. I chose option 1, and I was perfectly satisfied with that outcome.
Is Amazon.de customer service available in English? My German is nowhere near functional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a few deliveries from Amazon.de.. the only bad one was a copy of The Palaces of Carrara. The box arrived completely smashed open across one half, peanuts spilling out. The game box looked like someone stepped on it, it was that smushed. The game contents were thankfully in perfect shape so I guess the box did it's job but man...

I suppose in hindsight I should have returned it but the game contents were ok so I was ok with it. I'm not too concerned about resale value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Downum
United States
Grover Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered The Palaces of Carrara from them as well and mine showed up perfectly. It didn't take very long to get to me either. I was quite impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d Michel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered quite a bit from them and never had anything too serious, one split corner on a particularly heavy game was the worst. Sometimes the outer box is in pretty bad shape but from what I can tell from customs stamps and such, the damage always seem to occur at this end. It usually gets from Germany to US customs in about 2 days and then the dipwads in Homeland Security abuse it for a while as it sits for a week in their warehouse. Then it gets handed off to iparcel and slowly makes its way to the west coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny. The damaged game I received was also The Palaces of Carrara.

Why do Amazon.de hate The Palaces of Carrara?

As of a few months ago, Amazon.de offered support in English, but only via email -- not chat or phone. My damage issue was resolved in this fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cararra arrived with a torn corner. Helios came with a dented corner. Russian Railroads made it here fine. That's my amazon.de experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered Glen More from Amazon.de and it came quicker than I thought and in good condition. I've been thinking of ordering again to get Carcassonne: Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indy418 wrote:
I ordered Glen More from Amazon.de and it came quicker than I thought and in good condition. I've been thinking of ordering again to get Carcassonne: Star Wars.
I ordered three copies of Rococo (as Rokoko) before it started getting discounted here in the U.S. they came in a single box with minimal padding but everything arrived in perfect condition.

I've been looking at Carcassonne: Star Wars but the shipping is more than he game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game Alone
nbread wrote:
Funny. The damaged game I received was also The Palaces of Carrara.

Why do Amazon.de hate The Palaces of Carrara?
I have had 7 orders with them, shipped in maybe 10 boxes. Everything but Palaces of Carrara has been fine. maybe they had some damaged games and sent them out?

But the packing is usually atrocious by even amazon.com standards. The boxes are 2 pieces of cardboard taped together to make a box. Very rarely is there much padding. here are the games: Only one showed minor damage to a corner.

The Palaces of Carrara
Camel Up
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Broom Service
The Enchanted Tower
Kashgar: Merchants of the Silk Road
Hanabi
Qwixx
Royals
Lift it!
The Game
Träxx
Glen More
Rapa Nui
Limes
Rococo

despite the packaging being less than what we are used to in the US, all but one of those games has been in perfect shape when it arrived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bridges
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Carl Chudyk fanMicrobadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Glory to Rome fanMicrobadge: Hans im Glück fan
I used to order from them using the normal shipping method, the box would arrive in horrible condition with USPS tape basically holding it together. Usually, some of the games would be dinged up or slightly crushed.

Then, I switched to the expedited shipping that only costs 8-9 Euros more. Games would arrive in California in 2-3 days, the box and games in perfect shape. If your order is large enough that you can amortize the extra expense across multiple games, this is definitely the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
The worst.

2 orders that never made it to my doorstep.
1 order missing a game I initially paid for.
3 of five orders received contained damaged games.

Thin, poorly taped, way too large boxes with literally one piece of brown paper for packaging.

After several orders and asking for refunds, the refunds kept shrinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trend towards minimal packing - whilst laudable in theory - does not recognise that the board game box is actually part of what we buy, not some disposable packing as might surround some other toy, say.

It is becoming increasingly common to have games shipped with no padding inside too-large packages (which is the fault of the sender) but games shipped in the "cardboard wrap with protruding ends" should withstand normal/acceptable/reasonable handling by most carriers, and any damage in transit is really the fault of the carrier.

There was an interesting segment on the BBC's so-called consumer program "Watchdog" - albeit sensationalised (well - relatively so for the BBC - probably standard fare in the US where it would be narrated by the voice of impending planetary doom, yet somehow strangely excited by the prospect) - saying that Amazon.co.uk suspend the accounts of people they assess as complaining too much - this includes Kindle ebooks and Prime subscriptions with no right of redress nor refund. I doubt the latter two penalties will withstand legal challenge, but of course Amazon have the right not to sell to anyone they choose.

Anyway - it's probably best to try to distinguish between poor vendor packaging and poor carrier handling - although I guess the result might be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Some shipments have been manhandled and crushed, but the contents have always been fine. I think I've been lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glauco Micsik Roberti
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
publisher
Berserkr Jogos
badge
Berserkr Jogos
mbmbmbmbmb
hdeyoung wrote:
nbread wrote:
I contacted amazon.de and they gave me the option of 1) keeping the damaged game and accepting some $, or 2) keeping the damaged game and amazon would send me a new one free of charge. I chose option 1, and I was perfectly satisfied with that outcome.
Is Amazon.de customer service available in English? My German is nowhere near functional.
Yes... you can even change the page settings to English if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they just added this a few days ago
berserkr wrote:
hdeyoung wrote:
nbread wrote:
Yes... you can even change the page settings to English if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howse wrote:
I ordered The Palaces of Carrara from them as well and mine showed up perfectly. It didn't take very long to get to me either. I was quite impressed.
I also ordered Palaces and it arrived in perfect condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered $200 worth of games and the shipping box and games arrive completely destroyed. Is the only way to contact amazon.de via email? I tried to fill out the return option but it says it won't cover shipping. What is the best way to contact them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I just ordered $200 worth of games and the shipping box and games arrive completely destroyed. Is the only way to contact amazon.de via email? I tried to fill out the return option but it says it won't cover shipping. What is the best way to contact them?
what did you order from them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon only gave me the option to send everything back on my own dime, what's up with that! Think I can call my credit card company and dispute the charges?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I am amazed. They should file a complaint with the carrier and replace your games (or give a refund). Take photos of the damaged box and send to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottNotSteve wrote:
I am amazed. They should file a complaint with the carrier and replace your games (or give a refund). Take photos of the damaged box and send to them.
They just keep telling me that they will refund me but I can't afford to ship the games back, it will be very expensive. I've filed a claim with my credit card company to disputed the charges. This is ridiculous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
ScottNotSteve wrote:
They just keep telling me that they will refund me but I can't afford to ship the games back, it will be very expensive. I've filed a claim with my credit card company to disputed the charges. This is ridiculous
i've never heard of amazon doing something like this, they're usually amazing with things like this. I'm really curious why they're taking this stance.

jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |