Edu Gon
msg tools
Hi,
Finally I've purchased at the same time both CoC and CoC:Civilization. I'm still waiting to have it, and I will probably try to exhaust CoC before start playing with the expansion.

Now I a going to be a little flippant, but there are two issues that perhaps someone could have some answers about it, related on the game design:

1) According the rules in the CoC base game, all the players started with two advances "mining" and "farming". I saw that some people criticized the fact that you have to start with these advances, but others argue that this could change in an expansion. If I am not wrong, in the expansion, all the civilization (unlike in the PC game) continue to start with these two advances (the differences are in the extra advances). Why this choice? It looks that this could be a way to differentiate initially the civilizations (I presume that, as they are esential, in any case this advances would be the forced first choice for all the players...).

2) Why so many civilizations? I am not complaining about it and I find it awesome to have a so big variety of choices. But 14 civilizations is a lot of them. I presume that people would be very happy with 8 or 10 civilizations. Is there any particular reason for this extra effort from the designer?

Finally, I saw some interviews to Mr. Marcussen explaining his toughts about the base game. Is there something similar about the expansion? Would be happy to read it.

Best
(I can't wait to play it...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Edu. I hope you will enjoy the game

1) Because they are important for balance and to open up the techs within the category. If players did not start with them, they would simply HAVE to get the immediately.

2) Because I had awesome play testers that kept coming up with ideas, and because I like to go all in. Doing 7 would be great sure, but 14 is twice as great

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
Hi Edu. I hope you will enjoy the game

2) Because I had awesome play testers that kept coming up with ideas, and because I like to go all in. Doing 7 would be great sure, but 14 is twice as great

Have fun
Probably safe to presume that people would be happy with 8 or 10, but it's also probably safe to presume that people would be even happier with 14.

The games (particularly the expansions) that Christian puts out always seem to provide far more substantial content and value than is always strictly required (Merchants and Marauders is a case in point).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
14 is also a nice number if you want to give each player 3 civilizations to choose from, you'll have enough for good variety of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
I find it odd that the OP considers 8-10 to be the default number and 14 to be "extra effort". Why? Where did these figures come from? What established the "right" number of civilisations for a civ game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Copp
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, the 'farming' advance makes sense to me to be a prerequisite because, historically, this technology was prerequisite for any civilization that got past the hunter/gatherer mode of existence. Cultures that were limited to hunter/gatherer had very limited capacity for other forms of specialization among their population, as the hunting and gathering was a pretty all consuming focus (the book 'Guns, Germs and Steel' by Jared Diamond offers a more in depth discussion of this). The same can't be said for mining, but as the designer points out, it'd just lengthen the game unnecessarily to have a tech that everyone has to research on their first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls