Subject: Graves or Cannibalism? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blaine French

Temple
Texas
msg tools
mbmb
I'm just curious which direction everyone has gone. I've only gone graves in my games, but I'm starting to think that the extra resources from cannibalism would be better as I often have too many endeavors and just end up hitting the augury over and over. That being said, I'm really early in my settlements. What about y'all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Graves here. My group was pretty much against eating each other's characters.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
I floop the pig!
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Graves for me! Makes it so character death doesn't gimp my Settlement development. Very useful early game as Settlement events kill very often, and at least this way there's a chancy of repopulating with Augury

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
Graves for me! Makes it so character death doesn't gimp my Settlement development. Very useful early game as Settlement events kill very often, and at least this way there's a chancy of repopulating with Augury
We've gone graves in 5 settlements...for our 6th we just went Cannibalize. Early on, a few of the additional resources have been huge. We pulled Plague on round 1...and it stayed through round 3 with no ammonia. As a result we have 6-8 Survivors left. But we also headed into the Butcher with a full set of rawhide, two fully enabled Zanbatos (we've found about 5 skulls), and innovations every year despite otherwise lean hunt phases (one lion cub was good too). I'm shockingly impressed. I don't think it'll pan out as well at the end though when L2 and L3 monsters drop more swag along the way in addition to a scavenging kit if we can get there. But surprisingly helpful early game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
Went graves solo, and so far, despite having 3 TPK's back to back, I am somehow with almost 20 survivors… The lack of resources really stung.
I am almost guaranteed to make it long enough to face the Watcher, but unless my past couple of victories chain into an unbreakable momentum, it's unlikely I'll crush him.

Went cannibalism with a friend in our campaign… we haven't failed a hunt yet, but for the misc. casualty, it's a nice perk. We're half as far as my solo campaign, and more advanced with gear already! wow
Lots of solid draws for resources, too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CrashGem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried both. As said above, Cannibalism has been really great for resources early game. Ironically, despite an abundance of endeavour, my graves settlement is behind on innovations because of a lack of basic resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've generally preferred cannibalism, though have yet to get late game with it so that might change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you can get a survivor with matchmaking graves becomes super strong. If you also have the nurture birth principle that means you get to roll 2 dice per intimacy meaning a very high likelihood of birthing a child or even 2 from every endeavor point, and every survivor death gives at least 1 endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
ELicious wrote:
If you can get a survivor with matchmaking graves becomes super strong. If you also have the nurture birth principle that means you get to roll 2 dice per intimacy meaning a very high likelihood of birthing a child or even 2 from every endeavor point, and every survivor death gives at least 1 endeavor.
That's what I have going on with my settlement. Graves, a Matchmaker (that I've sort of retired because she has it), Protect the Young, and really lucky with the Love Juice means I haven't even had to roll on the Augury table yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Australia
flag msg tools
Graves, Birth Principle, Matchmaking, Face Paint and Clan of Death will essentially be a mid to late game engine for minting high quality new survivors.

A lot of saviours with +1 to str, eva and acc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The phrasing on a few replies in this thread makes me think folks might be misreading Matchmaker.

If a Matchmaker is a returning survivor, you may spend one endeavor to trigger Intimacy once per lantern year.

I think people might be looking at the summary of the power on the character sheets and not the full description in the Bold story event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Australia
flag msg tools
emmit svenson wrote:
The phrasing on a few replies in this thread makes me think folks might be misreading Matchmaker.

If a Matchmaker is a returning survivor, you may spend one endeavor to trigger Intimacy once per lantern year.

I think people might be looking at the summary of the power on the character sheets and not the full description in the Bold story event.
Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
I've always gone for graves for the extra endeavour.

However on my next play through I might try protect the young and cannibalism, since I never seem to have enough resources to endeavour in the first few years, or make weapons or do anything apart form have a pile of organs.

I wonder if it would be a viable tactic to purposely lose a hunter or two per hunt for the extra resources, as long as you have hovels and pty to try to get them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ELicious wrote:
Yeah, we missed this during one session and had a couple walk away from the settlement with a single die roll of 1. Luckily we caught it and with great fanfare rolled the second time to welcome a baby boy. Whew!

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
My first Settlement was called "Gregor's Rest", named after a Prologue casualty. When presented with choice, Graves seemed like the only fit thematically
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
...unless it was referring to the rest of Gregor, as in, kinda' scattered throughout the camp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:

Oh. I thought this looked ridiculously powerful. I have never actually gotten a matchmaker yet so I never read the text in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls