13 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » General

Subject: Dice for health rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use dice for the health instead of the cardboard pieces. I find that it helps cut down on some of the fiddlyness (set up, game play, and clean up). I use a lot of spin down d20s (from Magic the gathering) for the heroes, percentile dice for the villian, and some smaller dice for other villian/hero/envirment targets.

Does anyone else do this? Is there any other tweeks people use other than the app or playmat?

Sorry if this is a repeat post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first edition, that's exactly what I used. I played a lot of White Wolf RPGs in days of yore and I still have tons of d10s all around.

I'd use them as percentiles.

But, when I got the enhanced edition, I swapped over to the cardboard tokens almost immediately. Easier to see, quicker to manipulate, and certainly no more messy than having a big pile of dice to draw from when the next villain target appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've heard people use dice for the health. I actually prefer the tokens. I just like handling them (and watching them quickly dwindle on my heroes!).

I use different colored 'gem' pieces from other games to place on or next to cards to reference effects that occur when something happens elsewhere. For example, if a villain card says, "when a hero does X, Y happens" I place a red crystal on that card.

This way I can quickly see only the cards that have effects that occur out of turn and read those effects to see if they apply.

I also occasionally use other colors for start of turn and end of turn effects. But I find the out of turn effects the hardest to keep track of without having to read every card every time I do something.

The only other thing I think I do (it's been a while since playing) is 'tap' cards when I perform their action. This can be especially useful when there are a lot of cards out and I have to go back and forth activating various effects between the heroes, villain, and environment cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used dice until Sentinels Sidekick came out. Sidekick is the boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use dice when I'm playing solo, and the tokens when playing with other people. Especially new players, the tokens are a lot easier to keep clear, as you're not likely to lose your hp count by flipping a token over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcodel wrote:
I use dice for the health instead of the cardboard pieces. I find that it helps cut down on some of the fiddlyness (set up, game play, and clean up). I use a lot of spin down d20s (from Magic the gathering) for the heroes, percentile dice for the villian, and some smaller dice for other villian/hero/envirment targets.

Does anyone else do this? Is there any other tweeks people use other than the app or playmat?

Sorry if this is a repeat post.
Yep, I only use dice for everything Sentinels. Tried the tokens, they didn't work at all. We found them very cumbersome and agree with your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Sullivan
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: University of MarylandMicrobadge: StatisticianMicrobadge: EconomistMicrobadge: DC Comics fanMicrobadge: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - Kyra
My sons and I use poker chips. We just stack them up on top of the cards and then take them off as the target takes damage. I guess that's basically the same as the tokens but chunkier.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a player in my group that likes to fiddle with things in front of him, so dice for health are a no-go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
We use stitch counters for tracking the health of our heroes, and smaller stitch counters for tracking things like the number of bursts in Tachyon's trash. They are small two-digit dials that essentially go from 0 to 99. For the villain's health, we use dice. For the health of any other targets, we use the HP tokens that come with the game. We stack them in fives so it is easy to see how many hp are left on a target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has a personal preference. If you're using the HP tokens one thing I like to do is rather than placing out one token per hit; I put the max HP on the hero card to begin with and subtract from the stack as they take hits. That makes it much easier to see who has the most/fewest HP remaining or when an enemy is destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Everyone has a personal preference. If you're using the HP tokens one thing I like to do is rather than placing out one token per hit; I put the max HP on the hero card to begin with and subtract from the stack as they take hits. That makes it much easier to see who has the most/fewest HP remaining or when an enemy is destroyed.
Aye, this is how we do it - count down how much health a target has left instead of counting up how much damage a target has taken.

When playing at home we use my nice poker chips. When taking the game elsewhere I use the game tokens.

I also made tokens for start/end if turn effects because the ones from >G didn't come out until later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use dice - either too much chance of them getting knocked around, or I just don't have them handy (I guess I could put some in the boxes, but the boxes are already pretty full.)

If I use the tokens, I load up each target with their hitpoints and take them away as they take damage.

If I am playing solo, I just use a little notepad to track Heroes and Villain's HP. I'll use the tokens for other targets but I find this easier and faster in those solo games.

I did play a 'second' game one time - one group of 4 people was using my set including the tokens, but I was able to get a second game going with the same set and just a handful of tokens - so that is one time I used the notepad for H+V in a multiplayer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing solo, I use dice. I have a 'tackle box of bits' that organizes my dice quite well. I have enough percentile dice for the heroes and villains and tend to use d6s for other targets. I occasionally use smaller dice for unusual/cumulative/other effects like Wraith's stealth.

At game days, I usually don't bother bringing the tackle box. Fortunately, both game group hosts have a set of poker chips that works quite well. I also use the 'count down' method of stacking full health chips on targets when they enter play and take chips off when they take damage. No chips = destroyed/incap. No more fiddly than a money intensive game like Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls