Subject: Are you a hobby game designer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emma Bulajewski
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi board game designers!

My name is Emma, I am a MS Human Computer Interaction student at the University of Washington. My group and I, Team Dream It, Built It, are launching a design project creating a self publishing online board game design platform for hobby board game designers (phew that's a mouthful).

It will ultimately be a tool for anyone passionate about learning how to design board games can utilize, but we are targeting rookie designers who are just getting started with their passion. It's a one stop shop to help you take your game idea from concept, to reality and receive all the tools you need as you go along, including expert mentoring, design software and play testing.

We need your help! Good design involves talking to the people who would ultimately be using a tool like ours in order to find out from them, what they need, what is critical and what they could live without. Would you be interested in lending us your expertise by taking our survey? Please follow the link to our google forms survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1p0ru9dOwZXkmnhIQrN_tUAvE0Fp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hoi, welcome to BGG and first of all, Y-O-U should 'stress' and strongly URGE these to HAVE theirs played either "as": RISK; or 'Monopoly', to insure plentiful already 'inculcultivated' players!
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Bulajewski
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hello! Thanks for the welcome! I'm having fun hanging out and learning all about this fascinating world.

I had to look up some of those words you used... haha What do you mean by "inculcultivated"? It sounds like you are saying testing a game is the most important part of the process, is that correct? Is it difficult to find people to test your game when you are a n00b in this arena?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this some kind of Turing test gone out of control?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:

You mean GROGnads? I have my suspicions.

Hi Emma -- I've just submitted some probably-not-very-helpful responses. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Bulajewski
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
laugh Not at all! Just short project deadlines thanks to being on a quarter system = trying to learn as much as possible in a very short amount of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Bulajewski
United States
Washington
flag msg tools

EDIT: I just had a look. Your responses were indeed VERY helpful! Thank you again!

I appreciate you taking the survey! I have a feeling the responses will be very helpful, if you've ever designed a game yourself.

polyobsessive wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:

Hi Emma -- I've just submitted some probably-not-very-helpful responses. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Emmylala wrote:
launching a design project creating a self publishing online board game design platform for hobby board game designers

So it's an online platform for designing board games you want to self-publish?

Or it's a platform for users to self-publish their designs of online board games?

Or it's a platform that automatically publishes itself and then designs games about online boards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
i tried taking the survey but it felt more like you were asking me to write an essay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Bulajewski
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. They are all open ended questions, because I am really interested in how individual people approach game design. I didn't want it to be a check box survey - since I still don't have enough knowledge to know all the check boxes to include. This is a highly exploratory phase we are in. Thanks for looking, in any case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Antistone wrote:
Emmylala wrote:
launching a design project creating a self publishing online board game design platform for hobby board game designers

Or it's a platform for users to self-publish their designs of online board games?

Or it's a platform that automatically publishes itself and then designs games about online boards?

I think it's the first one, but I struggle to see why the final publication strategy would matter so much for a design platform. It may well be unknown at design time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Bulajewski
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Yes, great question. It's been challenging to figure out how to best describe it. It's basically place for people who are interested in learning about game design need resources and mentoring to get started. We plan to provide easy to use design software, also 3D modeling, and s simulator for play testing, and later producing the game. Basically everything one would need to bring an idea to life, all in one place.

How can I say all that in one sentence?! laugh

Antistone wrote:
Emmylala wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Emmylala wrote:
Hello! Thanks for the welcome! I'm having fun hanging out and learning all about this fascinating world.

I had to look up some of those words you used... haha What do you mean by "inculcultivated"? It sounds like you are saying testing a game is the most important part of the process, is that correct? Is it difficult to find people to test your game when you are a n00b in this arena?
shake Well, "naught imprecisely". since the 'basys' for the vaster majority of 'gamers' comprehensions levels is either of them, and I do happen to own "UW-opoly", oh, and even a 'Checkers' iteration depicting "UW"/"WSU"-football helmets components/opponents!
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Bulajewski
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
khendrix wrote:
Antistone wrote:
Emmylala wrote:

I think it's the first one, but I struggle to see why the final publication strategy would matter so much for a design platform. It may well be unknown at design time.

You are right, it is the first one. And great point you make: does it even make sense to create and publish all in one place? Or are these aspects separate entities that should be treated independently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark dark
msg tools
I'd love to share, but all of my stuff is strictly confidential, mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Bulajewski
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
ForestDingo wrote:
I'd love to share, but all of my stuff is strictly confidential, mostly.

Oh you don't actually have to show your work! The survey questions cover conceptual topics to do with your design process and any challenges you experienced as an entry-level designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace McDermott
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So is it, like, Canva for game design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Bulajewski
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Ryinth wrote:
So is it, like, Canva for game design?

There will be something similar for the design software, but we will also provide mentoring and game testing, plus help with production and marketing for those who go down that path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McCollum
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Took the survey. I tried to write a fair bit. Not sure what you are trying to make, but I'm interested in the space of combining video games and board games, so good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
dennisthebadger wrote:
polyobsessive wrote:

worker -Turing TEST
&
sauron -Watson
VS
cool -GROGnads

~"Shall we ply play ploy a 'game' of Fizzbin my 'Space`DROOGdettes'? It 'broker`n-promises' with being ULTRAvehementVIOLENTvacillationingly!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.