Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Okay, okay, can we get some Paladin vs Siren stuff now????? please?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor wolf

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, Battlegrounds was good, Academy I didn't really get into (not really interested in the format) but those are done now, can we get into new mages please?

Previews start coming in.......
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Previews will start as soon as they can, and sadly not sooner. I'm the first person who wants to show off our work, and I'm pushing to get us there as fast as I can.

Now, I know this set is going to be pretty dang exciting once we can show it off. I'm thankful for the patience of all our fans. I'm working every day to make sure this set is worth the wait, and that is a tall order.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor wolf

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cropcircles wrote:

Now, I know this set is going to be pretty dang exciting once we can show it off. I'm thankful for the patience of all our fans. I'm working every day to make sure this set is worth the wait, and that is a tall order.
I know you are, and I apologize for my impatience. Just very excited
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Just post some artwork.
Taunting imp was supposed to be in earlier expansion and got released in Domination, but it seems like nobody noticed that. This may be because there was no game info about him posted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Alright, Battlegrounds was good, ...
It was? Haven't seen hide nor hair of it in the uk yet.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
MrMT wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:
Alright, Battlegrounds was good, ...
It was? Haven't seen hide nor hair of it in the uk yet.
I know it was available on amazon.de and both German and Polish online stores. Don't know about German stores, but Polish stores got the expansion without official Polish distributor (isa.pl which seems to have stopped at OP kit 4).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we don't have Domination or Academy in the UK yet.

That said, Domination is just giving tournament legality - I have all the promos, and the rest are mostly domination only and/or meh. Academy has a few useful cards (but only a few), the promos with both boxes are better than the contents.

Waiting for PvS, Wiz/Fm Tome (which I think you are mad to make!) and BvS...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Yes, we don't have Domination or Academy in the UK yet.

That said, Domination is just giving tournament legality - I have all the promos, and the rest are mostly domination only and/or meh. Academy has a few useful cards (but only a few), the promos with both boxes are better than the contents.

Waiting for PvS, Wiz/Fm Tome (which I think you are mad to make!) and BvS...
I actually quite like the sound of domination as a game mode. Interests me much more than academy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Kelanen wrote:
Yes, we don't have Domination or Academy in the UK yet.

That said, Domination is just giving tournament legality - I have all the promos, and the rest are mostly domination only and/or meh. Academy has a few useful cards (but only a few), the promos with both boxes are better than the contents.

Waiting for PvS, Wiz/Fm Tome (which I think you are mad to make!) and BvS...
I actually quite like the sound of domination as a game mode. Interests me much more than academy.
As somebody who was lucky enough to have a friend pick up both Academy and Domination at Gen Con, I have to say "you nailed it." Our group has all played (or at least watched play of) Academy, and the consensus is "meh." But many of the cards are great in Arena/Domination, so it's still worth picking up. On the other hand, Domination is quickly becoming the play mode of choice. First, when we have an odd number of players, it's a no brainer. But even 1-on-1, Domination adds so much and keeps the match short (since V'tar points are like a clock). And it's really fun! It's almost hard to go back to regular Arena after playing Domination a few times.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Cropcircles wrote:

Now, I know this set is going to be pretty dang exciting once we can show it off. I'm thankful for the patience of all our fans. I'm working every day to make sure this set is worth the wait, and that is a tall order.
I know you are, and I apologize for my impatience. Just very excited
No need to appologize. You're fine. All of us at AW, especially myself, appreciate the patience that our players have shown. Everyday when I sit down to work, I'm thinkn' of all of you. I want to make sure we give our players the set they deserve. I keep pushing forward, because I know how long you've been waiting. Thank you for your support.

Kelanen wrote:

Waiting for PvS, Wiz/Fm Tome (which I think you are mad to make!) and BvS...
I'm actually pretty excited to work on WZ FM stuff. Yes, it's a bit scary but it's an opportunity to show something new, especially for the Forcemaster. I have all sorts of ideas, and can't wait to implement them. However, I'm trying to stay focused on the project in front of me. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd just squirrel off in ten different directions at once.

iNano78 wrote:
On the other hand, Domination is quickly becoming the play mode of choice. First, when we have an odd number of players, it's a no brainer. But even 1-on-1, Domination adds so much and keeps the match short (since V'tar points are like a clock). And it's really fun! It's almost hard to go back to regular Arena after playing Domination a few times.


That is fantastic to hear. Domination was always a mode I enjoyed thoroughly, but sometimes it's tough to know if others will enjoy it as much as you do, I'm glad it's really resonated with you guys!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
MrMT wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:
Alright, Battlegrounds was good, ...
It was? Haven't seen hide nor hair of it in the uk yet.
It's on the horizon. UK online shops list November as expected delivery date. You may pre-order copy for £32.39 with free shipping.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

On the other hand, Domination is quickly becoming the play mode of choice. First, when we have an odd number of players, it's a no brainer. But even 1-on-1, Domination adds so much and keeps the match short (since V'tar points are like a clock).
Your feature is my bug - we always play with even numbers, and usually 2, and we actively want a longer game. Even the 75 min rule is disliked, and only used for tourney practice.

If the choice is play one long game or 3 shorter ones, then we'll pick one long game. Actually we generally pick 4-7 longer ones, but the principle still holds!

Cropcircles wrote:

Kelanen wrote:

Waiting for PvS, Wiz/Fm Tome (which I think you are mad to make!) and BvS...
I'm actually pretty excited to work on WZ FM stuff. Yes, it's a bit scary but it's an opportunity to show something new, especially for the Forcemaster.
In fairness, there is lots of room with FM you are right. Especially to make it more of a control character (which it feels it should be, but ended up an aggro god by accident). Just changing Force Pull to force Push flips it to a control archetype in fact (although it's biggest problem as always is Wizard).

As for Wizard... well... there seems to be no willingness to errata him to nerf him, so any new design is likely to either be broken or irrelevant. If it's on a par with the current Wizard, which is a very hard balancing act, I'd still consider that a failure.

It's not shown up on any of my standard OLGS yet (I checked today). I do expect it to be there soon though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:

As for Wizard... well... there seems to be no willingness to errata him to nerf him, so any new design is likely to either be broken or irrelevant. If it's on a par with the current Wizard, which is a very hard balancing act, I'd still consider that a failure.
One issues from my perspective is that everyone has their own idea of what should be errata'd and what makes him "op" and what should be changed. To use a carpentry analogy I think it's better to measure twice, cut once. And that is a difficult part of my job, trying to evaluate all the possibilities and choose the best one. Luckily for me, I have a little time before having to worry about the Wizard in that spell tome.

Now, I realize that this is not a post about the Wizard, and so I'll stop derailing conversation.

Suffice to say of all the projects we have coming in the immediate future, I'm actually pretty excited to work on all of them. Just trying no to jump head to the Barbarian, when it's so far off. Gotta keep myself grounded!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cropcircles wrote:

One issues from my perspective is that everyone has their own idea of what should be errata'd and what makes him "op" and what should be changed. To use a carpentry analogy I think it's better to measure twice, cut once. And that is a difficult part of my job, trying to evaluate all the possibilities and choose the best one. Luckily for me, I have a little time before having to worry about the Wizard in that spell tome.
Agreed, Wizard is a confounding problem without changing the whole basis of the game. I used to think that it was as simple as fix A and B or C, but actually, I've come up with 6-8 nerfs and any of my top preforming builds (often tournament winning) can withstand any 2-3 changes with only a 5% drop in performance (essentially you lose a few 'just in case options'). The solution to wizard would need to be a lot of minor alterations, there isn't a single one that fixes it. And unfortunately theme and game balance are opposite ends of the axis on a lot of them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a ballpark estimation of how much longer it's going to be before PvS is released? It's taking forever.

And yes, Domination was a home run. Can't wait to see what's next in the Battlegrounds line.

Academy is completely meh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I don't really have a ballpark right now. I want to get it out as soon as possible, but that's not really a timeframe. However, I am working on it daily. In fact other than a charity event on Saturday, I've basically been working on it all weekend as well. I wish I could be more specific, sorry.

I'm glad you enjoyed Domination.

I'm sorry that Academy was "meh" for you. It's been exciting for me to be able to provide more low level "workhorse" spells. Yes, it's not flashy, but I'm excited to use many of those spells. Hopefully when we can show off the Priestess and Warlock, you'll see something to really interest you. We were actively designing all 4 at the same time, but the Wizard and Beastmaster were in the best spot as we went to assemble the core set.

Regardless, thank you for your support of Mage Wars.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Kofoed
United States
Rexburg
IDAHO
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How many different types of classes are you planning on releasing? So far it looks like there are both sexes of each class coming out. Does that mean you will do a dwarf female class as well? Just curious
Plz keep up the good work. Love the products!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ctkinc wrote:
How many different types of classes are you planning on releasing? So far it looks like there are both sexes of each class coming out. Does that mean you will do a dwarf female class as well?
Many assert the Dwarf that you have is female...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escoffery
Switzerland
Geneva
Confignon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't bought anything since Formaster vs. Warlord. Why?

They keep trying to sell me the same stuff over and over! I have no interest in buying another version of a character I already have. I lost interest in this game altogether actually.

I don't want another core set with a new way to play. I don't want an alternate gender mage. I want(ed) new mages!

Mage Wars. Mage Wars Acadamy. Mage Wars Battlegrounds Arena. Mage Wars... Just give us mages! That's all we have EVER wanted since the game came out. Now we have 3 different core sets and the same 6 types of mages...


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Quote:
Just give us mages! That's all we have EVER wanted since the game came out.
I think You missed Druid vs Necromancer and please talk for yourself only. There are people who welcome Academy or Domination just because they can't find 2 hours to play the Arena. Domination and Academy allow for 3 or 4 players in the game without problems.
Conquest of Kumanjaro and Forged in Fire significantly change the way You can play with Wizard, Warlord and Warlock. Priest alone is very different than Priestess and Johtari Beastmaster uses different strategies than Beastmaster. Same goes for Adramelech Warlock.
Training alone doesn't define the mage completely. Mage's abilities are as much important if not more. Let's say there's mage trained in War and Earth with same stats and abilities like Beastmaster, but animal is replaced with soldier. Will he play same like Bloodwave Warlord? No, he won't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, Arcane Wonders started to spoil cards...

but for Academy Priest set and not Paladin vs. Siren which leaves me flabbergasted as I thought its now the turn for additions to the original game to be released.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that being a fan of Mage Wars (Arena) has not been without its frustrations.

I would have strongly preferred a series of more unique mages for the core game, rather than alternate mages, Mages-in-training, and different ways to play.

That said, I just played Arena the other night, and it was awesome.

So while I could complain on how things haven't developed the way I would have preferred, I'm still very happy for what I've got.

Can't wait for Paladin vs. Siren.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siren should've been one of the first ones out, so much defrost stuff with nothing to defrost
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escoffery
Switzerland
Geneva
Confignon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KonradT wrote:
Quote:
Just give us mages! That's all we have EVER wanted since the game came out.
I think You missed Druid vs Necromancer and please talk for yourself only. There are people who welcome Academy or Domination just because they can't find 2 hours to play the Arena. Domination and Academy allow for 3 or 4 players in the game without problems.
Conquest of Kumanjaro and Forged in Fire significantly change the way You can play with Wizard, Warlord and Warlock. Priest alone is very different than Priestess and Johtari Beastmaster uses different strategies than Beastmaster. Same goes for Adramelech Warlock.
Training alone doesn't define the mage completely. Mage's abilities are as much important if not more. Let's say there's mage trained in War and Earth with same stats and abilities like Beastmaster, but animal is replaced with soldier. Will he play same like Bloodwave Warlord? No, he won't.
actually I have those too. I just forgot they existed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceBelafonte wrote:

They keep trying to sell me the same stuff over and over! I have no interest in buying another version of a character I already have. I lost interest in this game altogether actually.

I don't want an alternate gender mage. I want(ed) new mages!
The alt mages have completely different abilities - to all intents and purposes they ARE new completely mages. They play utterly differently to each other, and just share schools (as some non- alt mages do too)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |