Subject: Companies play order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antongiulio Dona'
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 1830 fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Advanced Civilization fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
The companies play order in the Italian transalation has a wording a bit unclear, I mean that the order of the three phases seems the opposite of standard PG:

Power Plant Buying: first the lower
Resources Buying: first the higher
Build cities: first the higher

It make sense, the powerful (richest) companies go first in the critical phases, is it right?

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Turn order is according to stock value: lowest to highest is first to last. If two companies are on the same space in the stock market their turn order goes from the bottom to the top (lower in the stack is earlier in turn order).

But, in usual Power Grid fashion, being first sucks: Auctions go first to last and both Resources and Building go from last to first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chapman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Skill-based games fanMicrobadge: Lindy HopperMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: BGG lurkerMicrobadge: Quality over quantity: I don't care for poster levels!
That is NOT what the English rules say! What you said makes sense and what I would expect, so do the rules have a mis-print?

Quote:
The company with the lowest share value will operate first (players
place a house/generator of that company’s color in the first space on the order track). ...
This is also reinforced where it talks about the Phase 2: Auction Power Plants, where it says

Quote:
This phase is played in company order, beginning with the first company on the order track (the company with the lowest share value).
Likewise the Resource and building phases saying they are "in reverse order, beginning with the last company on the order track (the company with the highest share value)."

This seems so backwards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chew
msg tools
mbmbmb
HepCatChris wrote:
That is NOT what the English rules say! What you said makes sense and what I would expect, so do the rules have a mis-print?

Quote:
The company with the lowest share value will operate first (players
place a house/generator of that company’s color in the first space on the order track). ...
This is also reinforced where it talks about the Phase 2: Auction Power Plants, where it says

Quote:
This phase is played in company order, beginning with the first company on the order track (the company with the lowest share value).
Likewise the Resource and building phases saying they are "in reverse order, beginning with the last company on the order track (the company with the highest share value)."

This seems so backwards!
Its correct. Being lower in stock price means higher in player order, which results in a disadvantage when buying resource and building network.

Basically sucks to be a cheap stock company. But if you manage it properly, there will still be substanital earnings for its stockholders. Remember, its not the best company wins but the one with the most money wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls