Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Does it cost 1 or 2 actions to change levels? (1 to use the stairs and 1 to enter the first tile on the new level, or is it just 1 action to go up the stairs and into the room?

2. If you escape up (or down) a stairway (to duck a guard coming at you) and you were the last spy on that level, the guard stops moving completely? So, he just sits there, on the space before the stairs, endlessly heading toward the stairs, just waiting for you to come back down? You can't wait for him to pass by?

3. When there is an alarm that requires you to spend 2 actions to enter the room to avoid, did you have to specify that you were spending 2 move actions before you entered the room, or can you enter the room with 1 action, reveal the alarm, and then say you are spending 2 instead of the 1 to disable it? Or is it already too late and the alarm went off.

3b. I assume you can't split these disarm actions over your turns? (ie- enter an alarmed room as your final action on one of your turns, and also spend the first action on your next turn, as the 2 actions required to disable the alarm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: NMBR 9 fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: University of MichiganMicrobadge: Concept Fan
It takes only one action to change levels.

If there's no one on the floor then the guard stops moving completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam P
Australia
Kew
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3. I don't believe you have to specify it beforehand. I played that you would move into the room (using one action) and then you can spend an extra action to prevent the alarm from going off.

3b. I doubt that would be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: iPad enthusiastMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Mennonite - Menno SimonsMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Obsession: Upstairs, Downstairs
zenpunk wrote:
1. Does it cost 1 or 2 actions to change levels? (1 to use the stairs and 1 to enter the first tile on the new level, or is it just 1 action to go up the stairs and into the room?

2. If you escape up (or down) a stairway (to duck a guard coming at you) and you were the last spy on that level, the guard stops moving completely? So, he just sits there, on the space before the stairs, endlessly heading toward the stairs, just waiting for you to come back down? You can't wait for him to pass by?

3. When there is an alarm that requires you to spend 2 actions to enter the room to avoid, did you have to specify that you were spending 2 move actions before you entered the room, or can you enter the room with 1 action, reveal the alarm, and then say you are spending 2 instead of the 1 to disable it? Or is it already too late and the alarm went off.

3b. I assume you can't split these disarm actions over your turns? (ie- enter an alarmed room as your final action on one of your turns, and also spend the first action on your next turn, as the 2 actions required to disable the alarm?
1. Its like any other tile...1 movement to go from one tile to another.

2. You only move the guard on the floor that you end your turn on.

3. We play you have to specify...this is particularly important if you are gambling and moving into a tile you haven't peeked at yet...you can't gamble and move into an unflipped laser and then choose to spend another movement point so it doesn't activate.

3b. No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool... thanks for all the answers... they're kind of what I suspected.

Although we will probably play that you can continue movement of guards on unoccupied floors if you want to (complete with reshuffling their cards if a deck runs out, so you still wont' normally want to.) But it just seems too unnatural that a guard will just freeze at the bottom of a stairway, for no reason, until you come back down. And you're also losing the cool thematic element of hiding while he strolls by.

So, yeah... definitely gonna be a house rule there for us. Maybe even make it so it's not a choice... if you are on the stair spot at the end of your turn, you have to move the guard on your current floor AND the guard on the floor past the stairs if it's unoccupied by other spies. (You're peeking down the stairs, so 'movie-time' passes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
zenpunk wrote:

3. We play you have to specify...this is particularly important if you are gambling and moving into a tile you haven't peeked at yet...you can't gamble and move into an unflipped laser and then choose to spend another movement point so it doesn't activate.

3b. No.
I'm not sure I understand having to specify that you are using two move actions before you move onto an unrevealed tile. Do you specify this every time you move onto such a tile, in the event that it may be a laser tile?

It seems to me that there are many times in which you reveal a tile you've landed on, then reassess what you want to do if you have actions left. We play that this is no different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: iPad enthusiastMicrobadge: PnP / DIY fan Microbadge: Mennonite - Menno SimonsMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Obsession: Upstairs, Downstairs
dcapozzi1 wrote:
garry_rice wrote:
zenpunk wrote:

3b. No.
I'm not sure I understand having to specify that you are using two move actions before you move onto an unrevealed tile. Do you specify this every time you move onto such a tile, in the event that it may be a laser tile?

It seems to me that there are many times in which you reveal a tile you've landed on, then reassess what you want to do if you have actions left. We play that this is no different.
I think for all intents and purposes we are doing the same thing...ignore my last statement...not sure where I was going with that...sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that, thematically, you are opting not to use a peek action because you are in a hurry and running into the room without looking. You don't think that would trip a laser alarm? I do. So it's not that you would ever announce that you are using two actions to move (highly inefficient), it's that you would peek (one action), then move (second action). You only get to assess the situation if you aren't running around the building. That's kind of the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
redfish_bluefish wrote:
I would argue that, thematically, you are opting not to use a peek action because you are in a hurry and running into the room without looking. You don't think that would trip a laser alarm? I do. So it's not that you would ever announce that you are using two actions to move (highly inefficient), it's that you would peek (one action), then move (second action). You only get to assess the situation if you aren't running around the building. That's kind of the point.
You're right... this makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Microbadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fanMicrobadge: Fan of Formula 1 RacingMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: 2019 Gold Supporter
Would love to get Tim's input on this.

In the following thread, it seems pretty clear that you can choose to spend the second action to avoid the alarm trigger.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1347445/acrobat-and-laser-r...

Although he also mentions the Deadbolt above, I, in contrast, think the rules are pretty clear that if you reveal a Deadbolt through movement, the "stop icon" shoves you back i.e. you can't add two more actions to make three and enter the deadbolt room successfully. I put in my opinion on this subject here...
EDIT: I've rethought my opinion on this. See link.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1469185/movement-tiles-requ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
Would love to get Tim's input on this.

In the following thread, it seems pretty clear that you can choose to spend the second action to avoid the alarm trigger.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1347445/acrobat-and-laser-r...

I think the difference is knowing (card already revealed before entry) vs. not knowing prior to entry. Which is funny because that seems just as clear to me as your interpretation seems to you! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fanMicrobadge: Fan of Formula 1 RacingMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: 2019 Gold Supporter
You mean Tim's answer in the thread reads to you as the opposite conclusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I think that his answer is for a different situation that doesn't point well towards the solution to the op's question in this thread. Maybe I am mistaken. The way the question in the linked thread reads, it seems the laser room is already known, and that the question has to do with an ability, not running into an unknown room. I just think the op's question is a separate issue.

Edit: I agree that it would be great to hear what Tim has to say about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
redfish_bluefish wrote:
I agree that it would be great to hear what Tim has to say about this.
Yup yup.

I actually agree with your thematic reasoning and was playing that way, but changed when reading that thread and others in the forums. I just want to play in the style intended by Tim so as to maintain balance and difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
Centerville
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
the intent is to opt into spending more actions (2 more for a deadbolt) after you move into a tile, regardless of if it was revealed before or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, cool. That made sense to me for something like the deadbolt, just not something like the laser. I will probably spend a lot less time peeking knowing this, as there is far less consequence if you are able to mitigate most effects through additional actions.

Thanks Tim, for both the answer and a really cool, fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
But, Carl, the Laser is always the room you move blindly into with your 4th action. Always!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
Centerville
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Walkways also keep people gun shy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fubeca wrote:
Walkways also keep people gun shy.
*Runs past* How bad could it possibly AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Fubeca wrote:
the intent is to opt into spending more actions (2 more for a deadbolt) after you move into a tile, regardless of if it was revealed before or not.
so.....if I move into an unrevealed room, it's a laser! Do I need to spend one more, or two more actions to place my meeple in there without an alarm going off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
Centerville
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
just one more action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sygyzy
United States
Goleta
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fubeca wrote:
just one more action.
If you spent your fourth move to enter the laser room (no actions left), you are stuck in there with the alarm going off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sygyzy wrote:
Fubeca wrote:
just one more action.
If you spent your fourth move to enter the laser room (no actions left), you are stuck in there with the alarm going off?
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls