Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Via Nebula fanMicrobadge: Level 99 Games fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Ghost Stories fanMicrobadge: Keyflower fan
Malandrax's Leading style is a strange movement ability compared to most of the rest of the game's movement effects since the opponent is the one who chooses the direction. Lixis' Rooted prevents it for sure, but what about Eligor's Vengeful and Alexian's Gestalt ability to not be moved by the opponent? The templating isn't consistent between the two, and it's unclear whether the movement is applied by the opponent or by Malandrax for the purpose of prevention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
Malandrax's Leading style is a strange movement ability compared to most of the rest of the game's movement effects since the opponent is the one who chooses the direction. Lixis' Rooted prevents it for sure, but what about Eligor's Vengeful and Alexian's Gestalt ability to not be moved by the opponent? The templating isn't consistent between the two, and it's unclear whether the movement is applied by the opponent or by Malandrax for the purpose of prevention.
The thing is, a movement effect is any effect that says you advance/retreat or push/pull an opponent.

In essence, Malandrax doesn't actually advance/retreat or push/pull you. You're doing that effect yourself. Malandrax just makes the choices for you.

Thus, things that say "the nearest opponent may not move you" don't technically apply because the source of the movement is not Malandrax, but yourself.

Now, if it were "cannot move or be moved" it'd be a different story because that stuff stops your own movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Via Nebula fanMicrobadge: Level 99 Games fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Ghost Stories fanMicrobadge: Keyflower fan
Er, Malandrax doesn't make the choices for Leading - that's Precision. But yeah, seems like Vengeful/Gestalt don't stop Leading's movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
Er, Malandrax doesn't make the choices for Leading - that's Precision. But yeah, seems like Vengeful/Gestalt don't stop Leading's movement.
I totally goofed and misremembered the style. LOL.

If we're talking about Leading, I personally think it gets stopped by Gestalt and Vengeful.

It's the converse of Precision. The movement originates from Malandrax, but the choice is on the opponent. So, it's technically a movement effect that Malandrax applies to the opponent. The opponent simply chooses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, it's extremely unclear. I've seen people go either way since it's not a traditional movement effect and the person doing the moving isn't Malandrax...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I feel like we need a better definition of "applied movement" since I am not convinced that this counts. It could go either way in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
Yeah, it's extremely unclear. I've seen people go either way since it's not a traditional movement effect and the person doing the moving isn't Malandrax...
Isn't that more than enough to show that Gestalt would stop it?

I mean, I think the wording SHOULD (not can) be read as "Push or Pull the opponent 1 space. The opponent chooses whether it's a push or pull" or something like that.

If it were interpreted any other way, it'd just be hella confusing and would bring up so many rules questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:
Andarel wrote:
Isn't that more than enough to show that Gestalt would stop it?

I mean, I think the wording SHOULD (not can) be read as "Push or Pull the opponent 1 space. The opponent chooses whether it's a push or pull" or something like that.

If it were interpreted any other way, it'd just be hella confusing and would bring up so many rules questions.
Yeah, I don't read it that way. I'll poke Brad for a ruling tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Malandrax's effect is a "Move the Opponent" effect. That is, Malandrax is moving them.

To clarify, an alternative wording would be. "The opponent chooses one: They are pushed 1 space, or pulled 1 space. (The opponent must choose an option that results in movement if at an edge of the board)"

Precision is the opposite--the opponent is still the source of the movement effects, so they are "Advance/Retreat" effects, not "Push/Pull" effects.

There's some ambiguity in "Move" because it can mean either "Advance/Retreat" or "Push/Pull", but I don't really have a better word for it at this point -_-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
After some debate on other sites, consensus seems that the best word is "Shift" - Move/Move Directly/Advance/Retreat - Shift/Shift Directly/Push/Pull - Switch Places With which seems to be its own category (it's a Move Directly + Shift Directly at the same time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls