Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 7_players [+] [View All]
Paul Dawson
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
A slight issue has developed at my Wednesday night session we have too many players!! I got the group to 6 which worked well but now we have 7 and most of my games stop at 6.

6 Nimmit, Perudo and the world cup game , the great dalmuti have managed ok but we need more games. Any ideas please!! I am tempted to just add bits to games to make them work e.g. railroad tycoon , carc,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 7 people, personally I would split into a group of 3 and a group of 4, but I just prefer playing 3-5 player games than 6-7 player games, at least of the games I know about so far. The only 7-player game I know that's good is Diplomacy, and that's probably too long for what you want. The only other games I know that accomodate up to 7-players are much better with fewer players in my opinion (Citadels, Bohnanza, RoboRally). Good luck finding what you're looking for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Citadels and Shadows Over Camelot will both support 7. Although yes I would agree that splitting up the group is probably the better thought process. Eventually this happens to all groups! Still I don't usually care for most games in the 3 player format so I'd suggest getting some really good 2 player games and split the group 5 and 2. When you pick up the 8th player you can go 4 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy!

Ok that's the standard joke answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest RoboRally and/or Twilight Imperium with the Shattered Empire expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert March
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang! works for 7. I try not to play it with less than 6 anyways. Also, Formula De would work well with 7, although there may be a bit of downtime between turns. It would definitely become more socializing than gaming. And continuing the racing theme, Pitchcar (Carabande) will also work with 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing to mention is that games that can support that many players tend to be the lighter games:
6 nimmt! (already mentioned) up to 10
Saboteur (already mentioned) up to 10
Tanz der Hornochsen: up to 8
Strand-cup: up to 8
Bang!: up to 7, 8 with Dodge City expansion
Pit: up to 8
PitchCar (Mini or otherwise): up to 8

etc.

If you're looking for Railroad Tycoon-like games to play that many people, you're not going to find it. Maybe Citadels (7), Fearsome Floors (7) or multiple copies of Fische Fluppen Frikadellen (15 with three copies of the game) are the closest you'll get.

edit: OK, or maybe the appropriately expanded Twilight Imperium, as suggested before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turfmaster, Breaking Away, Motorchamp, Formula De, Finstere Flure, Autoscooter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacara

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second both Diamant and Struggle of Empires, but I don't know if either is the right fit for your group. Diamant (available at playme.de) is a filler, and Struggle of Empires will be the one game that you spend most of the evening playing. Carabande falls into the same catagory as Diamant, you'll be wanted to play something a little more stimulating.

How about drawing straws and sending one of the folks out each night to pick up a pizza from a place that's a goodly distance away? Either that or the seventh can be the one who observes and takes all the notes for the session report?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has also reached the "too-many-for-one-game-and-not-always-enough-for-two-games" stage of its growth. We really hope to get it to a comfortable 4 and 4 stage. It kind of depends on what kind of gamers you have. If people are wanting to play the middle-weight games than by all means I would suggest breaking up into 3 and 4. The supply of games to meet the needs of 3 or 4 is vast compared to the supply available that are designed to meet the needs of 7. A 7 player game of Bohnanza can be a hoot every once in a while and it's great to get everybody involved in one game, but if your group's members are regular attendees who want something deeper, don't be afraid to split up and play two games at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror..........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few good games. I like Diamant, Bang, Saboteur, Shadows Over Camelot, and Richochet Robots.

Most of the time I'd prefer splitting the group as soon as we reach six players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization over 2-3 sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
in addition to the oft-mentions of:
Roborally
Turfmaster
Formula De

i'd also recommend Frank's Zoo, which is a good card game that works with 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Shadows over Camelot and Diamant like the above. Our group usually ends up splitting at the beginning and playing two different games and then later comes together for something that can handle more (often times after some have had to leave).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions here. My personal favorites if you want something besides card games:

* Shadows over Camelot -- Great game & great bits!
* Junta -- Lots of fun with seven players (not as good with fewer)
* Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) w/ expansion -- Great game, but long. And expensive.

While TI3 is near the top of my list, I'd recommend getting both SOC and Junta.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitchcar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Holmes
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second (or third or fourth) the Diplomacy recommendation. After you play that you won't have to worry about seven people showing up ever again. devil

Of course, you may not have anyone show up ever again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with splitting the tables, but also

Duel of Ages plays 2-18

and is a good game too =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
Diplomacy!

The perfect game is not a joke!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly will handle up to 8 people!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though it would take a couple of sets or a set and two boosters, Wings of War is an interesting--if short--idea for a large group. Famous Aces and Watch Your Back! accommodate four players each, Burning Drachens another two, and each booster can (I think) handle two more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
rri1 wrote:
Diplomacy!

The perfect game is not a joke!

True. If he had said Puerto Rico, it would not have been nearly as funny. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.