The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth» Forums » General

Subject: Why bother! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the 3 decades track record of how GW handles their side games, I am curious how long this game will be supported. This is no Space Hulk or Blood Bowl. Their last game, Dreadfleet, was sunk before it was launched. Some fanboys refused to believe despite GW's announcement a month later. Currently, the New Zealand price is $315. It will be interesting to see whether the US store will list it at $250 or at the predicted price of $150. It does not sound GW to me at $150.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already seen pre-orders on eBay in the US $130 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Europe I can preorder it for a 100 dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Preorders are now live on the GW webstore and it's £95 here in the UK...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancemeister wrote:
Preorders are now live on the GW webstore and it's £95 here in the UK...
For delivery next week and 38 minis but no gameplay.

GW track record in the hobby and personally they have let me down so many times Nothing could tempt me even to buy paint from them. My kids joy turned to dissapointment when a codex boughtone week superseded the next week ,when the staff would have known, even though perfect condition would not exchange. Man of War released for a month then dropped leaving us high and dry yet again.
Removing files that enhance the games.

So 20 + years of doing the opposite of most hobby companies and I cannot trust them and invest anymore money in them. A parent never forgets their child's dissapointment and their High handed methods. A gamer never forgets either so that's two generations plus that won't support them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean by "no gameplay"...

From what I can gather from the various forums out there it's quite a tasty little tactical skirmish boardgame (I've posted a basic outline to the rules elsewhere in this forum), easily matching and surpassing the "classic" GW boardgame affairs like Space Crusade/Heroquest and possibly surpassing the gameplay from their last couple of boxed games (Dreadfleet, Asssasins and even Space Hulk... And I'm a big fan of all 3 games).
Plus, if you're not interested din it as a boardgame you get a very playable, and amazingly cheap, entry army for their full Horus Heresy ruleset....

If none of the above does anything for you then I guess you should continue feeling personally let down by GW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Parsons
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be a fun and quick skirmish boardgame with beautiful minis and takes place in a part of the timeline loved by many fans of the IP. Plus there is a heavy amount of rumours saying the game will not just be a board game, but go on to replace the Hobbit. It makes sense for GW to make a game that is entirely Space Marines, they do sell better than all their other lines combined after all. And this way we can actually make unique Space Marine armies.

I am personally stoked, I love the legions and the set is a good deal as far as GW minis go. Will I continue to buy stuff after the box set? Probably not, because I really do disagree with GW's general practices, but I can't help but want this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancemeister wrote:
easily matching and surpassing the "classic" GW boardgame affairs like Space Crusade/Heroquest and possibly surpassing the gameplay from their last couple of boxed games (Dreadfleet, Asssasins and even Space Hulk...
Dude, I get the point you are making, but...c'mon. With only a brief review of gameplay posted elsewhere, this ain't no Space Hulk, Space Crusade (maybe-ish), Advanced Space Crusade, or Assassinorum. Not knocking a game I haven't even seen. I may love the game. I'd love it if I did! But, let's not let literary license confuse the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and GW bashers (especially you haters that still enjoy GW products), remember, your bitter posts just might dissuade some fellow Geeks from trying a game that you even like. Irrational hate is the lifeblood of the Internet, but some folks use BGG for informed opinion and reasoned advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno. I've read several reports from those who have had an introduction to the game, and I've read the fairly extensive playthrough in this week's White Dwarf of the first mission. Seems like there's a lot going on there (for what it is) and Has a lot more variety to it's gameplay and tactics than Space Hulk ever did.... I'm happy with my original point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creepy horrocks
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After buying white dwarf I'm out.was hoping for a space crusade reskin not another starter set with a board chucked in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancemeister wrote:
Not sure what you mean by "no gameplay"...

From what I can gather from the various forums out there it's quite a tasty little tactical skirmish boardgame (I've posted a basic outline to the rules elsewhere in this forum), easily matching and surpassing the "classic" GW boardgame affairs like Space Crusade/Heroquest and possibly surpassing the gameplay from their last couple of boxed games (Dreadfleet, Asssasins and even Space Hulk... And I'm a big fan of all 3 games).
Plus, if you're not interested din it as a boardgame you get a very playable, and amazingly cheap, entry army for their full Horus Heresy ruleset....

If none of the above does anything for you then I guess you should continue feeling personally let down by GW...
No examples of gameplay. Really can't take GW on trust especially for a one off game.

ZombieMark wrote:
Oh, and GW bashers (especially you haters that still enjoy GW products), remember, your bitter posts just might dissuade some fellow Geeks from trying a game that you even like. Irrational hate is the lifeblood of the Internet, but some folks use BGG for informed opinion and reasoned advice.
Anyway you are right I cannot overcome my disdain for GW and their disdain for their customers. Hate would mean I care but I don't and what is wrong with warning new gamers about buying into a game from a company that doesn't support its fans. Luckily there is alternatives from companies that do engage with customers.

It is rational and based on experience and fact and not just mine. Why do you think GW product has a very low post count on BGG. If this was any other company there would be dozens of threads and 100's of posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gameplay looks surprisingly good for what first appears to be a 30k vehicle. (Game play rundown in WD 93)

At least in the UK this can be had for £70, they'll still be plenty of people who'd rather shoot themselves than pay that.

It's going to sell at a phenomenal tilt.

I've been thinking about what to get for Xmas, the other options being Gates of Antares, Team Yankee by FOW and Star Wars Armada are all comparable in cost. Tough choice, this one seems to be aimed at the older gamer, and I'm trying hard to ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Starman54 wrote:

Anyway you are right I cannot overcome my disdain for GW and their disdain for their customers. Hate would mean I care but I don't and what is wrong with warning new gamers about buying into a game from a company that doesn't support its fans. Luckily there is alternatives from companies that do engage with customers.

It is rational and based on experience and fact and not just mine. Why do you think GW product has a very low post count on BGG. If this was any other company there would be dozens of threads and 100's of posts.
Oh please. The only thing that should matter is if the games itself is good and worth the money. The rest are just emotions.

I have just 2 GW games, Space Hulk and Assassinorum (and played also Advanced Space Crusade and the old Talisman) and if those games are anything to go by, I'm fairly excited about this one quite a bit.

You should warn new gamers about bad games, not companies you dislike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancemeister wrote:
I dunno. I've read several reports from those who have had an introduction to the game, and I've read the fairly extensive playthrough in this week's White Dwarf of the first mission. Seems like there's a lot going on there (for what it is) and Has a lot more variety to it's gameplay and tactics than Space Hulk ever did.... I'm happy with my original point
If it eclipses Space Hulk, then that's good for everyone. Cause, that's a pretty high benchmark. Thanks for sticking to your guns. Gives me great hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
If it eclipses Space Hulk, then that's good for everyone. Cause, that's a pretty high benchmark.
I believe that what Rancemeister is saying is that this one has more depth, not necessarily that it is a better overall game. With my limited time with it today, I am not sure, but the potential is there.

Space Hulk has more asymmetric gameplay, and lots of scenarios that you can play, but Betrayal at Calth has greater variety (as Rancemeister said) in a given scenario. GW does not have a good track record of adding scenarios for their board games, but Horus Heresy is a big enough deal for them that it will hopefully happen here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MVives wrote:
Space Hulk has more asymmetric gameplay, and lots of scenarios that you can play, but Betrayal at Calth has greater variety (as Rancemeister said) in a given scenario.
Where is that variety coming from? Four map tiles and fourty-two cards doesn't seem like much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippy668 wrote:
MVives wrote:
Space Hulk has more asymmetric gameplay, and lots of scenarios that you can play, but Betrayal at Calth has greater variety (as Rancemeister said) in a given scenario.
Where is that variety coming from? Four map tiles and fourty-two cards doesn't seem like much.
Have you tried it? Have you played through more than 1 mission? Have you read up on as much info as you can get on the game.... it's scenarios, it's reversible boards (so that doubles the variety from your point of view right there), the effects of the cards (command and damage), it's weapon, strategy and tactical choices?

But sure, let's pile on that entitled negativity.... What other company would get a thread titled "Why bother" before the game's details have even filtered out into the public, before people have had a chance to playtest... Time to grow up boys and girls. GW owe you nothing, you owe them nothing.... Don't like it, move along and let those of us that are interested in learning more and sharing thoughts on the game itself do so...

Unless, of course, what you really want is an argument and attention
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, I was just asking a question. I was genuinely curious.
And you talk about entitled negativity. What a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippy668 wrote:
MVives wrote:
Is the variety from the different types of miniatures available in the game (leaders, marines with different weapons, dreadnought)? Do the scenarios have fixed forces, or flexible ones.

We have five factions/influences here:

1) Boardgamers
2) Tabletop gamers
3) Tweeners
4) Fanboys
5) Haters

Can't we all just get along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason to play this over the tabletop game?

Im sure the miniatures would be great for someone collecting space marines but if all it offers is a watered down version of the tabletop then im not interested even though i dont play the tabletop i want to play a game that has its own merits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna take about a week to know for sure. The game hasn't even started selling yet. Even then, many (most) buyers are in it for the miniatures, not the boardgame. What I've read about the boardgame is its not a version of the current tabletop game. Unless it is a precursor for a new ruleset for a tabletop Horus Heresy game. Which should set off an explosion that makes Age of Sigmar look minor. Many 40Ker's greatest fear is THAT game morphs into an Age of Sigmar clone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are not related to current GW systems. It's definately a boardgame regardless of what some people's intention are with the miniatures.

From what I've seen it looks like a reasonable tactic light game, hard to say if it'll have the "depth" of Space Hulk which also appears very simple at first glance.

Pretty sure it's a one off.

It's a fair certainty that it'll sell well and then morph into 30k the replacement line for the hobbit.

Seems like they will be aiming 30k at the more veteran gamer, whilst Sigmar is for beginners and 40k inbetween.

Given it'll sell, I'd expect to see a veritable deluge of kits, miniatures and books over the next few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Vives
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, the rules for this game are mostly unrelated to tabletop 40K. There are separate rules already available (for several years now) for Horus Heresy / 30K, from Forge World. These miniatures can be used for both 30K and 40K, in addition to the board game, but most players will likely use the miniatures as a way to (affordably) play 30K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Moutain
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rating for this game is high (3 ratings at this time). Someone gave it a rating of 10 without any comment. This is not helpful for a person like me looking into a new boardgame to purchase.

I probably will skip this boardgame. I saw the pricing already from the web. $180 CAD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |