Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Played it a few times with 3 players. I don't recommend it. This game is at its best when it's more crowded. Just not enough interaction with only 3.

2) Have not tried ghost ship with 3 players. I think it might improve the interaction, but it's not real. I generally don't like AI in board games.

3) Yeah, you could, but the game simply isn't all that deep to play 2 laps as 3 players. Plus all the treasure would have been taken the first lap, so maybe you'll have to reseed the map, too.

4) There are definitely better light games for 3. Here are a few of my favorite:

King of Tokyo: Very light and simple. Easy to set up. Especially good if you like Yatzee.

Splendor: Easily scalable from 2 to 4 players, and challenging at all levels. Great, great gateway type game.

Machi Koro: Fun dice rolling game, one I didn't expect to like until I tried it. Would recommend the Harbor expansion for a decent game, though. They have a deluxe version with all expansions out, so that's an option too.

Medieval Academy: This is a card drafting game with a fun theme. It's pretty simple to learn, and what's nice is that it can be made more advanced by flipping the boards to the B side. If you want a card drafting game that's even easier, try Sushi Go!.

Love Letter: This is so good for such a low price and plays so quickly, just get it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
I am sure Jamaica is fine with 3 players, it just won't "shine".

For it to be a great game it needs 4.

I also agree with Splendor and King of Tokyo as great light games, I just haven't played them enough to recommend player counts. But I have played Splendor with 2, 3, and 4 player counts. And all were fun.

I have played King of Tokyo only 2-3 times. Once with 4 players, another with 2, but did that twice, I may have played it one other time but not sure. I am not a huge fan of the game, but it is very simple and very family friendly.

Check out the new 12 Games of Christmas of 2015 - Family Games by the Dice Tower:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ISeePatterns wrote:
I'll have a look at those in more detail tomorrow. Splendor was on the radar to read up on. We were playing yahtzee only last week, that goes down well. Love letter was actually in my Amazon basket as a stocking filler.

I wonder if there are any good light games that are not quick. Non mission Risk is an obvious one. I found a Monopoly City in the charity shop this week. After 3 hours we hadn't finished and it was the daughters bed time!!! Mind, half of that was looking at a confusing board that has everyone's buildings miles away from their actual properties and trying to work out what belonged where. That game needs numbered counters or something to place next to the properties to save keep trying to find the buildings.

The only games we have that you don't find in regular shops like Toys R Us are the old ones. Stop Thief is still played. Labyrinth, I'd love the electronic version but can't find a shop in the UK that sells it.

What do you reckon on Camel Up as a three player?

edit: I forgot to add that I found Jamaica after initially reading up on Pirate's Cove. So that was another I was thinking about.
I don't know about Camel Up -- you might try posting on that forum as you'll probably get better answers.

How long do you want a game to last? 3 hours is a long time for any game, nowadays.

Have you also tried some of the co-op games out there, like Pandemic or Forbidden Desert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
If you like Yahtzee mechanics, you may like: King of NY; King of Tokyo; Bang the Dice Game; Run, Fight, or Die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ISeePatterns wrote:
Still thinking about Jamaica and was reading the instructions for the two player game to see if it could be added to a three player game and was wondering why the ghost ship throws everything but gold in to the sea. What's the reason for that?
I think it's because gold is used as a tie-breaker, but it's just a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with three, it's a little quiet. The ghost ship does make 2 player better, but I've been tinkering with the idea of playing 2 ships each. No fighting between your own ships, but trading 1 treasure possible when on same spot. Winning condition could either be highest combined score or highest score from the lowest scoring ship.

The only downside being more pieces to manage in front of you.

If you want a similar style of race game for 3, I don't know of one with the same nature. However, for a similar pirate'y feel, you could go for Black Fleet which is fine with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ISeePatterns wrote:
ayejae wrote:

I think it's because gold is used as a tie-breaker, but it's just a guess.
Yeah, that will be it. I read the rules wrong. When it said thrown into the sea, I thought it meant removed from the game. I didn't see the wording in brackets that says put back in the bank.
Correction to myself (been a while since I played): gold is actually added to your score. Tiebreaker is actually your ending position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ISeePatterns wrote:
Well we played it over Christmas, 3 player, and it wasn't bad, maybe a bit light on ship battles but it was the first game. We played again with the ghost ship added and it was a different game altogether, much much better.

Lots of ship battles and a lot more fun. Both games took around the same time.

I got quite a few games to play over Xmas, one was Catan, which I left for last as I didn't know how it would go over. I thought maybe a bit dry, wheat for sheep etc..Wow, was that a hit. The wife and daughter took to it instantly, I was thrashed by the pair of them.

Wife was on 6 points + Longest Road and as it happened, a victory point, just waiting for her next go to end the game when daughter throws a 7, robs her, steals longest road and goes on to win. The game was a huge hit so I'll be looking for the seafarers next.
Catan was a gateway drug for many of us here, so it's not surprising your family would like it. Everyone likes to build their little empire and roll that dice and collect the resources. It's like a little hit of dopamine every turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aria Salahi
Iran
Mashhad
Khorasan Razavi
msg tools
hey,

I need a High quality picture of the game board,somebody please help

ariasalahi@yahoo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
ariasalahi wrote:
hey,

I need a High quality picture of the game board,somebody please help

ariasalahi@yahoo.com
They do not allow these on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls