Neil Mehta
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
After playing Viticulture with Tuscany about a dozen times, both solo and multiplayer, I achieved a personal high score last night of 46 against the Automa. To be sure, I was very lucky at certain key points in the game.

I was playing on Normal mode with the following 6 expansions: Mamas and Papas, Property, Advanced Visitors (with original visitors removed per the advanced variant in the rulebook), New Visitors, Extended Board, and Structures. I’ll do my best to reconstruct the key stages of the game, though I’m hazy on some of the details.

I started with a Papa that provided an extra worker, which I believe is easily the strongest starting bonus. My goal for the first year was to have all 6 of my workers. I began at wake-up position 3, since the vine card and the summer card are both very useful for getting a vinery started. In the summer I flipped my 7-cost field for 7 lira and a victory point. In the winter, thankfully the Automa did not train workers, so I used a normal worker and my grande worker to gain my remaining 2 workers, spending the 7 lira I had just picked up. I think I used the fourth worker to get vine cards, but I don’t recall.

Starting year 2 with all 6 workers proved very powerful. My goal was to plant vines immediately; if possible, I also wanted to prepare to build the medium cellar. I selected starting position 4, primarily to see a structure card early, but also for that extra summer visitor. I drew extra vine cards in the spring, and in the summer I played a visitor that let me plant a vine (which happened to be value 4!) without the required structures. I then planted another vine in a different field that required no structures. My remaining vine cards didn’t work well with my existing ones, so I traded them for new vine cards. My new vine cards both required a trellis, which I promptly built in the fall for 2 lira. I used my last action to harvest my fields for a level 4 white grape and a level 1 white grape. With the wake-up bonus, I picked up the Café structure card (cost 3; you may place a worker and discard a grape for 3 lira and 1 point).

I don’t remember the details of the next few years as clearly. I know that I took wake-up positions 7, 1, 5, 6, and 2 respectively. I ended up using my Café only once, but I later built the Barn structure (cost 5; at the end of each summer, you may discard 2 cards for 1 point). The Barn was very valuable, and I believe that I used its ability 3 times.

I next planted two more vines in my two existing fields. Together, my fields produced a level 4 white grape, a level 3 red grape, and a level 2 white grape each year, and I always harvested to keep my crush pads full. With the assistance of a winter visitor that let me build a cellar for 3 lira less, I then quickly collected enough money to build both remaining cellars.

After that, I just focused on filling wine orders. I tried to fill only orders for 4 points or more; I would trade away other order cards or discard them via the Barn. I was a bit short on red grapes, but I still managed to fill a 6-point sparkling wine order by the end of the game, and I filled another 6-point wine order a bit earlier. I also picked up a few points as opportunities presented themselves. For example, I used the designer who let me build a structure at the regular price (in my case, the Yoke) and gave me 2 points for having at least 6 structures. Over the course of the game, I placed 3 stars to get summer visitor cards and 3 stars to get winter visitor cards. That gave me 4 additional points from area control, as well as taking 4 points away from the Automa.

Everything worked out perfectly in the final year – in other words, I was again absurdly lucky when drawing Automa cards and was not blocked from any action that I wanted. I had managed to save 3 bonus action tokens. I picked up more vine cards in the spring to discard via the Barn. In the summer I traded away my remaining money for two points, spending a bonus action token to do so. I harvested and made wine in the fall. In the winter I filled two wine orders with the help of my Grande worker, and each time I spent a bonus action token to gain an extra victory point.

After taking area control into account, the Automa had 32 points to my 46 points. I had 1 lira left, no grapes on my crush pad, and no wines in my cellar. Victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
opotamus wrote:
After playing Viticulture with Tuscany about a dozen times, both solo and multiplayer, I achieved a personal high score last night of 46 against the Automa. To be sure, I was very lucky at certain key points in the game.

I was playing on Normal mode with the following 6 expansions: Mamas and Papas, Property, Advanced Visitors (with original visitors removed per the advanced variant in the rulebook), New Visitors, Extended Board, and Structures. I’ll do my best to reconstruct the key stages of the game, though I’m hazy on some of the details.

I started with a Papa that provided an extra worker, which I believe is easily the strongest starting bonus. My goal for the first year was to have all 6 of my workers. I began at wake-up position 3, since the vine card and the summer card are both very useful for getting a vinery started. In the summer I flipped my 7-cost field for 7 lira and a victory point. In the winter, thankfully the Automa did not train workers, so I used a normal worker and my grande worker to gain my remaining 2 workers, spending the 7 lira I had just picked up. I think I used the fourth worker to get vine cards, but I don’t recall.

Starting year 2 with all 6 workers proved very powerful. My goal was to plant vines immediately; if possible, I also wanted to prepare to build the medium cellar. I selected starting position 4, primarily to see a structure card early, but also for that extra summer visitor. I drew extra vine cards in the spring, and in the summer I played a visitor that let me plant a vine (which happened to be value 4!) without the required structures. I then planted another vine in a different field that required no structures. My remaining vine cards didn’t work well with my existing ones, so I traded them for new vine cards. My new vine cards both required a trellis, which I promptly built in the fall for 2 lira. I used my last action to harvest my fields for a level 4 white grape and a level 1 white grape. With the wake-up bonus, I picked up the Café structure card (cost 3; you may place a worker and discard a grape for 3 lira and 1 point).

I don’t remember the details of the next few years as clearly. I know that I took wake-up positions 7, 1, 5, 6, and 2 respectively. I ended up using my Café only once, but I later built the Barn structure (cost 5; at the end of each summer, you may discard 2 cards for 1 point). The Barn was very valuable, and I believe that I used its ability 3 times.

I next planted two more vines in my two existing fields. Together, my fields produced a level 4 white grape, a level 3 red grape, and a level 2 white grape each year, and I always harvested to keep my crush pads full. With the assistance of a winter visitor that let me build a cellar for 3 lira less, I then quickly collected enough money to build both remaining cellars.

After that, I just focused on filling wine orders. I tried to fill only orders for 4 points or more; I would trade away other order cards or discard them via the Barn. I was a bit short on red grapes, but I still managed to fill a 6-point sparkling wine order by the end of the game, and I filled another 6-point wine order a bit earlier. I also picked up a few points as opportunities presented themselves. For example, I used the designer who let me build a structure at the regular price (in my case, the Yoke) and gave me 2 points for having at least 6 structures. Over the course of the game, I placed 3 stars to get summer visitor cards and 3 stars to get winter visitor cards. That gave me 4 additional points from area control, as well as taking 4 points away from the Automa.

Everything worked out perfectly in the final year – in other words, I was again absurdly lucky when drawing Automa cards and was not blocked from any action that I wanted. I had managed to save 3 bonus action tokens. I picked up more vine cards in the spring to discard via the Barn. In the summer I traded away my remaining money for two points, spending a bonus action token to do so. I harvested and made wine in the fall. In the winter I filled two wine orders with the help of my Grande worker, and each time I spent a bonus action token to gain an extra victory point.

After taking area control into account, the Automa had 32 points to my 46 points. I had 1 lira left, no grapes on my crush pad, and no wines in my cellar. Victory!
That's a damn impressive score. I can't remember what my own record is, but I have it logged in my playtest Excel sheet, so I can check later.

Thank you for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Ferreira
Portugal
Viseu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
opotamus wrote:
In the summer I flipped my 7-cost field for 7 lira and a victory point. In the winter, thankfully the Automa did not train workers, so I used a normal worker and my grande worker to gain my remaining 2 workers, spending the 7 lira I had just picked up
My favorite opening aswell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
opotamus wrote:

That's a damn impressive score. I can't remember what my own record is, but I have it logged in my playtest Excel sheet, so I can check later.

Thank you for posting.
I just checked my playtest results sheet and my high score is 50 points, but that was playing with 9 expansions (everything except Arboriculture).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Mehta
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
50 points - nice! Something to aim for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
opotamus wrote:
50 points - nice! Something to aim for.
And that was using the mode where the Automa's VP marker moves, which makes the game harder .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
baredas wrote:
opotamus wrote:

My remaining vine cards didn’t work well with my existing ones, so I traded them for new vine cards.

My new vine cards both required a trellis, which I promptly built in the fall for 2 lira.
I got this game recently and was reading through this session report when this caught my eye.
The first line when you say you trade your wine cards with new ones, that's not meant literallly I guess. Do you mean that you discard down to seven cards at end of year and get new ones in summer?!

Secondly you mention that you built a trellis in fall? Can you use summer locations during winter and vice versa?

While I haven't played the new Tuscany board yet, I assume he is using the expansion board to do those things (and maybe a few special worker)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
baredas wrote:
opotamus wrote:

My remaining vine cards didn’t work well with my existing ones, so I traded them for new vine cards.

My new vine cards both required a trellis, which I promptly built in the fall for 2 lira.
I got this game recently and was reading through this session report when this caught my eye.
The first line when you say you trade your wine cards with new ones, that's not meant literallly I guess. Do you mean that you discard down to seven cards at end of year and get new ones in summer?!

Secondly you mention that you built a trellis in fall? Can you use summer locations during winter and vice versa?

While I haven't played the new Tuscany board yet, I assume he is using the expansion board to do those things (and maybe a few special worker)
Yes, the extended board from Tuscany and its four worker placement seasons gives you several new options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls