Mike Kaplan
msg tools
Microbadge: Ares Games "Sword & Sorcery" Contest participantMicrobadge: Theatre fanMicrobadge: Darkest Night fanMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Vesuvius Media "Centauri Saga" Contest participant
Hi guys! As the subject says I am looking to pick up Descent as a solo dungeon crawler. I don't have the finances to by everything in one shot so I was wondering what are the must have expansions for this?

Hero variety gets my more excited than anything else, so packs that add interesting, unique heroes are a plus, as well as anything that works well with Co-Op(read solo) play.

Thanks, in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Two cocktails are better than one
mjktheatre wrote:
Hi guys! As the subject says I am looking to pick up Descent as a solo dungeon crawler. I don't have the finances to by everything in one shot so I was wondering what are the must have expansions for this?

Hero variety gets my more excited than anything else, so packs that add interesting, unique heroes are a plus, as well as anything that works well with Co-Op(read solo) play.

Thanks, in advance!
Are you planning on printing out the variant on bgg? Because the game only has 3 solo small versions, and I like them but I wouldn't buy the game for just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kaplan
msg tools
Microbadge: Ares Games "Sword & Sorcery" Contest participantMicrobadge: Theatre fanMicrobadge: Darkest Night fanMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Vesuvius Media "Centauri Saga" Contest participant
Yeah, I heard the solo variants on BGG are solid so I was going to use one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I work with lasersMicrobadge: Venture Bros. fanMicrobadge: Monkey Island fanMicrobadge: Halo fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
There are two "big" expansions, Labyrinth of Ruin and Shadow of Nerekhall. In addition to the monsters, quests, OL cards, and shop cards, these come with 4 heroes and 4 classes, whereas the smaller expansions (lair of the wyrm, trollfens, and manor of ravens) come with 2 heroes and 2 classes. Hero and monster packs have 4 heroes and 3 monster groups, but no new classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Heroes Incorporated Contest participant
FFG has an official co-op system with three campaigns:

Forgotten Souls
Nature's Ire
Dark Elements

I have only played the first one (and twice at that), but it really brings out the best in Descent: loot and leveling all in a couple hours of playing, monsters which behave differently each round depending on a small number of AI cards, exploration of unknown areas, and a boss encounter at the end.

The good news is you can play the first two with just the base set, and Dark Elements with just one additional expansion, so it's fairly cheap and gives you a decent amount of replay value if you play each campaign 2-4 times with different hero combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Descent fanMicrobadge: Two cocktails are better than oneMicrobadge: Box of Delights Play-Through fanMicrobadge: Doom: The Boardgame fan
From my perspective, all of the expansions add something worth having. I would simply recommend you buy the base game and use RedJak's RAMV variant to solo it. Then after you've decided it works for you solo (I think it's great) I would simply buy the expansions in release order.

The lieutenant packs are more nice-to-haves than must-haves. Which obviously means you'll want those too!! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
I've made the mistake of buying Nature's Ire a few days ago.

I had to spend some good hours to even understand all the new rules and changes. I will be blunt: it is a chore.

It is odd because I can explain the rules for Descent 2nd Edition to anyone in less than 10 minutes and then we can start playing.

But with Nature's Ire (and the other Solo expansions), oh my, so many convoluted little rules. I am looking at you Activation Cards! The enemy Spot That, Engage That, Away from That, Furthest from That, Closest to That, Toward That!

zombie

Is that really necessary? All these Monster actions?

Honestly, I will just ignore the Activation Cards in the future, when playing Nature's Ire or the other expansions.

Are there Monsters on the board? OK! On their turn they move towards the closest Hero / Heroes and they attack. Because that's what Monsters are doing. And that's it. No more Spot that, Engage that nonsense.

Sorry, I am a bit disappointed with the solo rules.

On the other hand, you can very easily play Solo without any Solo expansions. It is very easy to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I work with lasersMicrobadge: Venture Bros. fanMicrobadge: Monkey Island fanMicrobadge: Halo fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
I enjoy the "engage," "spot," etc terms, as they provide variation in what the monsters do and allow them to be interesting, and also give monsters like barghests and ettins chances to do things like throw or howl, which otherwise you're depending on the heroes to decide when they would do those things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas J
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I'm always the Overlord!Microbadge: Fantasy fanMicrobadge: Runewars fan - Latari ElvesMicrobadge: There are 10 types of people in the world...
I'm playing through LoR solo, but started with opening quest without any variant and moving things around as if I was overlord. Works fine.

My advice is to start with base box and possibly the quest book HoB. Save yourself shelf space and money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kaplan
msg tools
Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Advanced Civilization fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Runebound fanMicrobadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Mage Wars Fan
I am in exactly the same boat as you.

I bought Descent 2 on release but didn't much like it as I found it to be a race game more than a dungeon crawl.

I am giving it another chance and read all about the co-op route.

Watch Tina the Gamer's play through for a fantastic sense of how the official co-op plays. It looks really straightforward and good fun.

I was wondering what to buy next and I just invested in

Forgotten Souls
Nature's Ire

I don't enjoy printing stuff, but next will be Redjak's files.

Then...

Heirs of Blood
Lair of the Wyrm
Dark Elements

That gives me plenty of co-op and solo stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls