Subject: Talon - the Quasi-Expansion for Space Empires rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to take a moment and point you all in the direction of my new game, Talon. If you like SE, you will likely become a fan of Talon. Although still available on P500, it is at the printers at GMT and should ship soon. I have mentioned it before but, since the game was sent to the printers, we have had the time to put out a weekly article on it - Talon Tuesdays:

A link to all nine of the Talon Tuesdays can be found on the GMT P500 page here:

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-452-talon.aspx

Alternatively, you can find them all in the forum of the BGG page:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/145976/talon-fleet-c...

So far in the Talon Tuesdays, we have looked under the hood at the numbers behind the game system, posted detailed examples of play, released some fan fiction/background story, looked at how terrain impacts the game, and other things.

In a very tangential way, this could be considered an expansion for SE. While not designed to fit SE, cross-over rules were developed so that SE battles could be fought out in Talon. Rather, it would be more appropriate to say that the SE map, terrain, and production system could be used to produce ships that fight it out with Talon rules when they meet on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sbirakos
Australia
Canberra, ACT
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Talon
Cool.

So as i understand from above, you start playing SE4X and continue until contact with an opponent at which point, you could ditch the combat procedure of SE and use the Talon tactical combat procedure. In which case, you would transfer all ships involved in the conflict onto another map board.

Or have i completely miss-read the post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it, Peter.

Almost everything stays the same in SE, except the combat system. You can fight out your SE battles with Talon. However, since the combat system is changing, it does impact your buy decisions and the cost of some of the ships that you buy in SE.

Of course, the main purpose of Talon is to be an interesting stand alone game, but the SE connection is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sbirakos
Australia
Canberra, ACT
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
You got it, Peter.

Almost everything stays the same in SE, except the combat system. You can fight out your SE battles with Talon. However, since the combat system is changing, it does impact your buy decisions and the cost of some of the ships that you buy in SE.

Of course, the main purpose of Talon is to be an interesting stand alone game, but the SE connection is cool.

That is indeed cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure if I will ever find the inner strength to write on my counters with sharpies shake

Is that still planned like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
I am not sure if I will ever find the inner strength to write on my counters with sharpies shake

Yes, but there will be shipsheets to write on too If I have understood it correctly, for those that doesn't want to use a sharpie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Muad Dib wrote:

Yes, but there will be shipsheets to write on too If I have understood it correctly, for those that doesn't want to use a sharpie.

Wait, what? The game involves writing on the counters? (Something like writing orders on unit cards in Battleground? Or marking damage?) Or is that just a joke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ad79 wrote:
Muad Dib wrote:

Wait, what? The game involves writing on the counters? (Something like writing orders on unit cards in Battleground? Or marking damage?) Or is that just a joke?

Just skip to 5:30 of this video:
https://youtu.be/QAhitL4QXoI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
Just skip to 5:30 of this video:
https://youtu.be/QAhitL4QXoI

Thanks. So dry-erase marker on the counter to track ship damage. Looks good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:

You could buy some cardsleeves and insert the counters into that. By cutting the sleeve to the shape you need, you could mark the sleeve. That would protect the counter itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a small pad of ship sheets will be included with the game. Honestly, though, I can't imagine that anyone will really want to use them after playing one game. It is just so much easier and more visual to have ALL the information needed displayed right on the boards. It is what makes it possible to easily play large battles in less than 2 hours and small battles in less than an hour.

Remember, the counters ARE laminated so the dry erase comes right off - if you can write on cards in Battleground, then you can write on counters in Talon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Remember, the counters ARE laminated so the dry erase comes right off - if you can write on cards in Battleground, then you can write on counters in Talon.

This seems like a good ergonomic idea to mark unit info right on the units. I liked the idea of Battleground, but not the continuous "traditional miniatures style" gridless movement, so I always hesitated to get into it.

Talon using a hex grid to regularize movement makes it more appealing for me.

Can ships stack in a hex? If so, I could imagine someone having trouble with accidentally rubbing/erasing info on the counter lower in the stack if they are careless.

Re: dry erase: just a few nights ago we played Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War for the first time in a while ... it too uses dry erase markers (in a book, rather than on pieces on the map, but same technology - wipes off fine indeed. Also Gambit 7 uses dry erase markers. So there's plenty of precedent for that working in games... You just have to be sure to use real dry erase markers and not accidentally use some other more permanent kind...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
You just have to be sure to use real dry erase markers and not accidentally use some other more permanent kind...)

On whiteboards in the classroom, permanent markers can be removed by writing with a dry eraseble marker on top of it. Not sure if that works on laminated counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
On whiteboards in the classroom, permanent markers can be removed by writing with a dry eraseble marker on top of it.

I've heard that. It sounds like freaky strange magic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I liked the idea of Battleground, but not the continuous "traditional miniatures style" gridless movement, so I always hesitated to get into it.

Yes! That is a pain I definitely wanted to avoid.

Quote:
Can ships stack in a hex? If so, I could imagine someone having trouble with accidentally rubbing/erasing info on the counter lower in the stack if they are careless.

Not really. Ships of the same faction will cause damage to each other when in the same hex. The end result of this is that you normally only ever have one ship in a hex, except occasionally when passing through a hex with a ship of the other faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
russ wrote:
You just have to be sure to use real dry erase markers and not accidentally use some other more permanent kind...)

On whiteboards in the classroom, permanent markers can be removed by writing with a dry eraseble marker on top of it. Not sure if that works on laminated counters.

This.

Also, using a bit of rubbing alcohol on cloth/paper towel will wipe sharpie/most permanent markers right away. (Some of those industrial strength markers really are)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems CRAZEE to use alcohol on game pieces.yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:

Can you offer any further hints / info showing how the interaction works? Very excited about this aspect of Talon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to do a Talon Tuesday on it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.