Nevermore» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule clarification: Pecking order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lana Lehr
Canada
Alaska
flag msg tools
This has come up a couple of times in our Board Game Club at school and the rulebook isn't clear on this point. When a Raven and another (living) player tie for (health or attack) cards, and there is another player with a lower number of cards, who is considered 'second'? The player with the tied hand, or the one with less? We have ruled both ways, cannot agree, and arguments are surfacing since the call could be made either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eot
msg tools
In our group, we played that the target is the player with lower number number of cards i.e. the second most .
if the player with lower numbers is also a raven. no pecking is done.

the tied player (i.e. the player with same number of cards as the raven) resolve his cards as normal.

I hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played that the 2nd place person is the one with the different lower number. Also, the non-raven that is tied for first, we've always said that they do not get the ability of the suit.

Becoming a RAVEN wrote:
a raven playing the most Attack cards, Healing cards or Victory cards cannot attack, heal or gain Victory points, but still counts as 'most' and prevents other players from gaining the suits ability.

Bolding mine

I guess we could be misinterpreting that part, but as a group, we agreed on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
howclever wrote:
This has come up a couple of times in our Board Game Club at school and the rulebook isn't clear on this point. When a Raven and another (living) player tie for (health or attack) cards, and there is another player with a lower number of cards, who is considered 'second'? The player with the tied hand, or the one with less? We have ruled both ways, cannot agree, and arguments are surfacing since the call could be made either way.

From the designer:

As a general rule, all players who 'tie' for most, all gain the ability for having the most.
The 'second' most is the next lower number, even if that number is zero.
Those definitions do not change whether you are a Raven or not.

The only thing that changes as a Raven, is what ability having the most gains you. In the case of Attack, Healing and Victory cards, a Raven who has the most Pecks for one point of damage at the HUMAN player(s) who hold the 'second' most. They do not peck a Human player who tied, as they are not second most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:

Becoming a RAVEN wrote:
a raven playing the most Attack cards, Healing cards or Victory cards cannot attack, heal or gain Victory points, but still counts as 'most' and prevents other players from gaining the suits ability.

Bolding mine

This quote of the rules can lead to misinterpretation as I read it again. Let me be more definitive.

A raven playing the most Attack cards, Healing cards or Victory cards cannot attack, heal or gain Victory points, but still counts as 'most'and prevents other players from gaining the suits ability, insofar as it would for any other player. Meaning, A raven with 3 Victory prevents a Human with only 2 Victory from scoring, as the Raven holds the most. It was not intended to imply that a Human player tied with the Raven would not get the ability. All tied players get the ability due them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.