Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I need some wargame recommendations within a certain criteria.

I'd like a wargame that is...

Playable by 3 - 5 players
Fits on a normal sized kitchen table
Plays in 3 hours or less
Has a map / hex board / terrain
Squad level
Doesn't require an encyclopedic rulebook, but isn't trivial / abstracted to death.
Probably WW2 based

So some examples of things considered but don't quite do it for me :
Axis and Allies ( setup time, time to play )
Up Front ( no board, amongst other things )
ASL ( too clunky, too long, too much of a way of life )
Memoir '44 and clones ( too simplistic, better suited to 2, too large a scale )
Heroes of Normandie ( 2 player, too small a scale )
Firepower ( wrong era, too small a scale, too limited a terrain source )
Breakout: Normandy ( 2 player.. although I've played it jimmied to 3, slightly too long, too large a scale ).
Storm over Arnhem ( 2 player, limited to a single scenario )
Warlord / Apocalypse ( too simple, too abstract )
Devil's Cauldron ( too long, too big, too large a scale )

Any ideas ? Whilst I really enjoy a lot of the games on that list, what I am aiming for here is something else - a wargame equivalent of a Euro - something that can drop on a table for several people, offer a challenge, a theme, doesn't require shed loads of rule books or trolley fulls of plano boxes, is different every time.

I think something like Breakout: Normandy comes pretty close.. or any of the area impulse storm games. Or a scaled down, and increased complexity Axis and Allies. Or something entirely more clever about what it's doing. A scaled up heroes of normandie. A less twee dumbed down Memoir '44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Conflict of Heroes looks pretty solid for that criteria ! ( although I am never overly thrilled with the Eastern front not including Stalingrad.. picky picky picky I know, Guadalcanal looks good stuff ) . I'll see if I can pick it up.

Any others out there ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barber
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maria

3 Player max but lots of fun for those 3!

edit:
Shogun is a very Euro-y wargame. Up to 5 players. Cool theme (but not WW2). Plays in around 3 hours. Rules are quite a bit more simple than Maria.

edit part dos: didn't see the squad level requirement. oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Switzerland
Zug
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb

A multiplayer wargame 3-5 players that realistically plays under 3 hours will be difficult.

I can think of Tide of Iron only maybe, but is up to 4 players only.

Maria is only 3 players and not is WW2, but great recommendation. But will likely take more than 3 hours to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ziegler
United States
Huntingdon Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a game that is not so recent. You asked for a WW 2 theme, not much to set up, fits on a kitchen table, 3 to 5 players. Simple rules, easy mechanics of play from what I can judge of your criteria.

Origins of World War II, Avalon Hill circa 1971. Most people do not know how to play it correctly. You have to remember the period, the political ambitions of countries and understand "mutual control" for the Germans and Russians, versus political "Understandings" for the Allies. If you can master those ideas, it will be a great competitive face to face game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to settle for a strategic level game rather than squad level, then Quartermaster General fits most of your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure you are going to find any squad level games that play well with more than two players. Possibly you can break the sides into teams, which we do with Memoir 44 but I'm just thinking that most tactical level games just don't have enough to do for more than two players. If you are open to larger scale games, i.e. Operational or Strategic level games, your options will definitely increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the 2-board scenarios from a Commands & Colors game. Despite your misgivings, it's about as close as you're going to get short of just taking a tactical game and splitting up forces for any given scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)

The Universal Answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tank on Tank: East Front

Tank on Tank: West Front

Hits every one of your parameters I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This

Quote:

Playable by 3 - 5 players
and this

Quote:

Squad level
are really at odds with each other. Most multi-player wargames are going to be strategic in nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tide of Iron has multiplayer rules, but they're team rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Cool stuff, thanks everyone for your time and the suggestions.

I have played Maria a few times ( and Friedrich a few times too ), quite cool, not really what I am looking for in this context.

Quartermaster general, interesting, seen it being played by a couple of different groups, ( got some weird feedback about it from the groups ), I've not yet tried it myself yet though, but, doesn't seem to fit what I am looking for here.

Also played Shogun ( and Wallenstein ) ^_^, good ( I love the cube tower ), and not too far from the criteria, but eh, not WW2 or something of that ilk ( Vietnam, or even some sci fi slant ). Although, now I think about it, some WW2 thing with a cube tower would be... weird ! Cool ? Weirdly cool ?!

Origins of WW2, never heard of.. looks like an interesting tangent.

Tank on Tank looks great... 2 player... like anything like that I suspect it could be jimmied to be more, but a minor point against it. I think I need to get my hands on this !

Whilst I understand the criteria listed might be... leftfield for most existing wargames, it just struck me that whilst I had gamed a hundred variations of optimising medieval teutonic supply chains and worker placement doohickeys for 2 - 6 players, I couldn't really say the same about wargames - they all tend to be crunchier, gnarlier, more casual unfriendly and yada. Don't get me wrong. I like that. However. I also think that there surely must be room for a swathe of more casual yet not too casual wargames that would fit in the same kind of arena.

It felt like a gap in the market or a gap in my knowledge about such games. A big hole in space. Why is there that gap. Am I just ignorant of a lot of good stuff going on in that space, or does it not really exist at all. I don't think there is any good reason for that gap to exist ( I do not subscribe to wargames having to mostly be 2 player games - hell no, there is a lot of space in there for simulating teams, c3, friendly fire, and all sorts of shenanigans to do with the friction of war, in fact c3 chaos is one of my favourite - neglected - things to see modelled ).

I can absolutely see in my head the games I'd like to see... but they just don't seem to exist ( or exist in any number more than you can count on one hand ). Which is ... odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jomazael wrote:
( I do not subscribe to wargames having to mostly be 2 player games - hell no, there is a lot of space in there for simulating teams, c3, friendly fire, and all sorts of shenanigans to do with the friction of war, in fact c3 chaos is one of my favourite - neglected - things to see modelled ).
One thing which you could try doing it take a 2 player tactical game, and split into teams-- German player A get the infantry, player B gets the tanks, and do the same for the opposing side.

You apply this sort of team system to a game like Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer, where each sides moves part of its forces in each impulse, and things could get heated as to which player gets to move in which impulse, who gets to use the artillery support, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at a miniatures game? Something like We Were Brothers might be what you're looking for. Each player controls a team of 4 men, so two players would have an 8 man squad, fighting the other team's squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
How does it handle three? Are there scenarios designed for three or does one side just split its forces in half?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Miniature games - no I didn't consider them, wanted something clean and easy to setup, I used to be a big miniature wargamer and I still have a roofspace full of them, love them, but their playerbase is niche I find due to commitment / buy in. However saying that, We Were Brothers looks pretty damn cool and something of a half and half to my eyes. Nice suggestion ! And it's 1:72 scale. Wow. Nostalgic for me, I used to do 1:72 ww2 mini gaming 20+ years ago with a custom system. Good memories.

Splitting 2 player games into teams, yeah sure, I've done this in the past, and it can work, but can also introduce some downtime or issues in my experience, obviously a game designed from the get go to cater to more than 2 and have all the wrinkles ironed out, plus extra things wheeled in would be ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chinkin
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Forbidden Stars come close to scratching the right itch?
Obviously it's warhammer 40k not ww2 and it isn't really a war game but it does plays up to 4 and has a heavy emphasis on the conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls