Subject: Stop Icons (Keypad and Deadbolt) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain how Stop icons on the Keypad and Deadbolt tiles work? Specifically, if you move to one of these tiles without peeking first, you are to stop. Does that mean you still lose that action, without actually advancing?

Some examples:
Deadbolt: You move (without first peeking) and find that the tile you want to move onto is a Deadbolt, which requires you to use 3 actions to enter.
* If that was your last action, did you just lose it? Or can you still take that action (just not to move onto the Deadbolt?
* If that was your first action, do you still have to stop? Or can you move onto the Deadbolt (costing three actions instead of one), and then still have one action left?

Keypad: To move onto the Keypad tile, you must first roll a six. Do you have to lose the action when you first attempted to move onto the Keypad? For instance, let's say I have all four actions left. I attempt to move (without first peeking). The tile is a Keypad. I roll a 6 on my first try. How many actions do I have left? Three (because the entire movement, including stopping and rolling only took one action)? Or two (because stopping took one action and rolling took a separate action)?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still confused about the "stop" icon. I peeked and revealed the Deadbolt tile. What can I do now? The directions say that you cannot enter that tile, but the tile itself says it takes 3 actions to enter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulled sections from the manual that answer this

jda1974 wrote:
Can someone explain how Stop icons on the Keypad and Deadbolt tiles work? Specifically, if you move to one of these tiles without peeking first, you are to stop. Does that mean you still lose that action, without actually advancing?
From the moving section:
page 4 wrote:
Attempting to move costs 1 action... If you cannot or do not want to meet the requirements of the tile, one of two things will happen. If the tile has the Stop icon, you may not enter the tile. Your meeple stays on the tile you came from. This does not count as re-entering the original tile. If the tile has an Alarm icon, an Alarm is triggered on the tile.
If you succeed the requirements of the tile you don't need to stop (but can if you want!). This means you still lose your action if you subsequently fail the move due to a stop icon effect. It doesn't matter if the tile is not revealed first, the process is the same.

jda1974 wrote:

Some examples:
Deadbolt: You move (without first peeking) and find that the tile you want to move onto is a Deadbolt, which requires you to use 3 actions to enter.
* If that was your last action, did you just lose it? Or can you still take that action (just not to move onto the Deadbolt?
* If that was your first action, do you still have to stop? Or can you move onto the Deadbolt (costing three actions instead of one), and then still have one action left?
From manual:
page 12 wrote:
Deadboltt: If a player or guard is not on this tile, it takes 3 actions to enter, if you can't pay the extra actions, you stay in the tile you came from.
This implies if you didn't peak and noone else is on the tile you can spend the extra two actions to complete the move if you still have them, otherwise you stop (and lose the move action).

jda1974 wrote:

Keypad: To move onto the Keypad tile, you must first roll a six. Do you have to lose the action when you first attempted to move onto the Keypad? For instance, let's say I have all four actions left. I attempt to move (without first peeking). The tile is a Keypad. I roll a 6 on my first try. How many actions do I have left? Three (because the entire movement, including stopping and rolling only took one action)? Or two (because stopping took one action and rolling took a separate action)?

Thanks!
From the manual:
page 13 wrote:
Keypad: When moving into a Keypad tile, you must guess the code. Take the die and roll it. If it is a 6 you enter the tile. If not, you will have to stay on the tile you came from.
Moving is the action here. Failing the roll is part of that requirement of the card in that subsequently prevents the move. (ie. the Stop icon effect) It does not however refund the action spent to move.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
I'm still confused about the "stop" icon. I peeked and revealed the Deadbolt tile. What can I do now? The directions say that you cannot enter that tile, but the tile itself says it takes 3 actions to enter?
Paraphrasing the manual: You only apply the 'Stop icon' rule if you cant meet the requirements of the tile when using a move action.

In your example, you can now use 3 actions if you have them left to enter the tile (and ignore the stop effect).

If you had moved without peaking (as per John's example) and no guard was on the tile, you could if you had them spend an extra two actions to complete the move on revealing the Deadbolt tile, otherwise you follow the 'stop icon' rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about if you move on to a deadbolt without peeking and have actions left, do you have to move there, or can you turn back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mayes
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jdpm wrote:
What about if you move on to a deadbolt without peeking and have actions left, do you have to move there, or can you turn back?
You cannot move onto the tile unless you have met the requirements - in the above case, you would need three actions. So you would reveal the tile and remain on your previous one.

Thematically, imagine you are running away from a guard who is hot on your tail and about to expose you any second now. You make a dash down an unlit corridor and bang! You run straight into a deadlocked door. You need to get in, but you can't, not without more time!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls