Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Courtwright
United States
West Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been living in RI for a couple years now and haven't hooked up with a game group yet. Help me fix this problem! I'm in West Warwick, but I'm willing to travel wherever to get my fix of gaming goodness. Bonus points: I can cook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few.

A good start is meetup.com/thetabletoprevolution, they host a quasi-biweekly gaming group of which I personally am an inconsistent attendee.

From there, there are a bunch of less public group you can get in contact with.

Best of luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
RagallachMC wrote:
I've been living in RI for a couple years now and haven't hooked up with a game group yet. Help me fix this problem! I'm in West Warwick, but I'm willing to travel wherever to get my fix of gaming goodness. Bonus points: I can cook.
check

Gaming Groups in New England - USA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a new group that meets once a month (I think) at the Pawtucket library. There's also a weekly group up in Plainville, if you don't mind crossing the border. Your profile is pretty sparse on the info...if you can give us a bit more info, we might be able to offer better resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: WingMicrobadge: Are you lookin' at me?!Microbadge: Southern New England WargamersMicrobadge: Er... not completely!Microbadge: Wing
TabletopRevolution, mostly play euros, is a great group, nice people and well run. They are used to people coming and going and meeting new members. They are very good at welcoming new people and making them feel comfortable...IMO.

SNEW (Southern New England Wargamers) is a guild here on BGG. It's where I get my war gaming fix. It meets once a month in Bridgewater MA. A couple of us host small SNEW meetings at our houses.

GSG (guy stuff gamers) is another guild here on BGG. I've never been and cannot comment on them. They have been around a while and meet at member houses I think.

I host a few different groups at my house sporadically.

For store meetings:

There is a new Toy Vault location right off 295 in Warwick. It's not the typical Toy Vault. They have games and lots of table space. They are hosting events.

Battlegrounds in Plainville MA. is always hosting events and has a meetup page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

GSG (guy stuff gamers) is another guild here on BGG. I've never been and cannot comment on them. They have been around a while and meet at member houses I think.

Battlegrounds in Plainville MA. is always hosting events and has a meetup page.

GSG @ Battleground Plainville, Tuesday nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSG is a great group of guys. We've seen lots of new faces over the years and Battleground has kind of become our unofficial home base since it sits at about the midpoint between most of us. Lots of cool people, myself included , who are welcoming and friendly.

Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2000Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 20 Year Geek Veteran

is kind of our primary organizer, so reach out to him. He invited me nearly 6 years ago...and has probably been regretting it ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
You lost the game!
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2000Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 20 Year Geek Veteran
As others have said, the Guy Stuff Gamers (GSG) meet at Battleground Games and Hobbies on Rt. 152 in Plainville, MA, on Tuesday evenings, starting at 6:30pm. You, and others, are more than welcome to join us!

I have also heard rumors that the Barnes and Noble down in Warwick supports a gaming group that meets on Wednesday evenings, but I cannot confirm this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: WingMicrobadge: Are you lookin' at me?!Microbadge: Southern New England WargamersMicrobadge: Er... not completely!Microbadge: Wing
Spielfreak wrote:
As others have said, the Guy Stuff Gamers (GSG) meet at Battleground Games and Hobbies on Rt. 152 in Plainville, MA, on Tuesday evenings, starting at 6:30pm. You, and others, are more than welcome to join us!

I have also heard rumors that the Barnes and Noble down in Warwick supports a gaming group that meets on Wednesday evenings, but I cannot confirm this.
@ meeting in stores & a slight derail....

I'm probably in the minority here, because lots of people do it, but I've never understood the appeal of meeting for games in a store. Do people do it because of a lack of space at home? or some other reason?

It just doesn't seam comfortable to me. At home there is food a bathroom, music or quiet, comfortable chairs and more importantly... beer, beverages and soft drinks.

At a store I also have an uncomfortable feeling that I owe the shop keeper something in return. That's just not going to happen for me, they never have what I want or at competitive prices.

I guess I'm lucky having always had a space to play games at home. I never really though about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that for me it's a combination of lack of space for our 8-12 usual attendees, plus little kids that need their shuteye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
You lost the game!
AvidHunter wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:

I'm probably in the minority here, because lots of people do it, but I've never understood the appeal of meeting for games in a store. Do people do it because of a lack of space at home? or some other reason?

It just doesn't seam comfortable to me. At home there is food a bathroom, music or quiet, comfortable chairs and more importantly... beer, beverages and soft drinks.

At a store I also have an uncomfortable feeling that I owe the shop keeper something in return. That's just not going to happen for me, they never have what I want or at competitive prices.

I guess I'm lucky having always had a space to play games at home. I never really though about it.
GSG used to solely be a private group that met at members' homes. We started meeting at BGaH on the first Tuesday of the month a couple years back in order to attract new gamers, as our numbers of regular attendees was starting to dwindle, and this public venue was preferred for vetting new members. As the group has grown, the ability to seat and provide parking for gamers at members' homes has become challenging. BGaH has the parking, AC in the summer, and heating plus plowed spaces in the winter. I do buy games from them, but the increase over online pricing is a small price to pay for allowing us to have a place to meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Courtwright
United States
West Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:

I live close to that B&N. I'll swing by there on Wednesday and investigate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally largely prefer gaming at people's homes, others' or ours that it may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Spielfreak wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:
Spielfreak wrote:

GSG used to solely be a private group that met at members' homes. We started meeting at BGaH on the first Tuesday of the month a couple years back in order to attract new gamers, as our numbers of regular attendees was starting to dwindle, and this public venue was preferred for vetting new members. As the group has grown, the ability to seat and provide parking for gamers at members' homes has become challenging. BGaH has the parking, AC in the summer, and heating plus plowed spaces in the winter. I do buy games from them, but the increase over online pricing is a small price to pay for allowing us to have a place to meet.
That totally makes sense. I could see attendance size being a factor, and being an admin and trying to grow a groups size. I don't usually host more than 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
geki wrote:
I personally largely prefer gaming at people's homes, others' or ours that it may be.
We've met at a few TTR meetings... your always welcome in my game room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And just so you know, I'm 43, and I've made some of my best friends ever through GSG - guys is go through a wall for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls