The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: LOTR power nine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Phelps

Mount Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Lord of the Rings Game fanMicrobadge: Chess playerMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: The Dresden Files fan
All the long time Magic: The Gathering players will remember the old school "power nine" cards. LOTR is quickly becoming a mature card game with an extensive pool of cards. I am interested to hear what some of the readers here would consider to be the most powerful cards in the game. Here are my choices:

Steward of Gondor
A Test of Will
Unexpected Courage
Gandalf (Core)
Faramir (Ally)
Boromir (Hero, Tactics)
Glorfindel (Spirit)
Erestor (Hero)
Arwen

Honorable mention:
Galadriel (Hero)
Elrond (Hero)
Dain Ironfoot (Hero)
A Very Good Tale
Gather Information
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that Daeron's Runes could be included -- it's the type of card that basically any deck that runs Lore should include... Very much like any deck that ran Red should've ran Mox Emerald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Phelps

Mount Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Lord of the Rings Game fanMicrobadge: Chess playerMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: The Dresden Files fan
Good call, I actually meant to include Daeron's Runes but somehow it slipped through the cracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Test of Will and Hasty Stroke are so absurdly powerful that they really constrained quest creation later on by having 'this effect cannot be cancelled' which was really just 'this card is immune to A Test of Will'
a similar thing with Forest Snare had a lot of enemies and mechanics immune to player attachments (ie: immune to Forest Snare)

here are my picks

Leadership
Steward of Gondor
Sneak Attack
Celebrian's Stone
Cram (gets cut a lot, but it's always a useful draw)
Faramir (ally)
Gimli (ally)

Tactics
Legolas (hero)
Boromir (hero)
Mablung (hero)
Horn of Gondor
Westfold Outrider
Galadhon Archer
Blade of Gondolin
Feint
Horn's Cry could end up there (haven't played with it yet as it isn't out yet in NZ)

Spirit
Eowyn (hero)
Glorfindel (hero)
Northern Tracker
Ethir Swordsman (people really rag on outlands, but i see these in almost every monospirit deck)
Galadriel's Handmaiden
Unexpected Courage
Hasty Stroke
A Test of Will
Dwarven Tomb

i'll give an honourable mention to Galadhrim's Greeting, which is still a strong card but maybe not as necessary as it used to be.

Lore
Elrond (hero)
Erestor (hero)
Treebeard (hero)
Gelowine
most of the lore ents really, like Wandering Ent and Wellinghall Preserver, but Quickbeam is probably the strongest, even if he has a slight mark for being unique
Warden of Healing
Forest Snare
Protector of Lorien
A Burning Brand
Radaghast's Cunning / Secret Paths (i know these get cut a lot, but they're seriously good)
Daeron's Runes

Neutral
Gandalf (hero)
Gandalf (ally, core)
Favor of the Valar will probably be an include in a lot of my decks from now on, but yet again, don't have this one yet.

so my list ended up being rather long. if i had to absolutely cut it down, it'd be hard to say really. because of the myriad of quests (and viable strategies for being them), even some of the strong power cards are probably detrimental.

if i absolutely had to limit it though, i'd probably only include cards that informed on later quest design, like A Test of Will, Northern Tracker, and Forest Snare, but that would invariably only include cards designed early enough to have such an impact on the game.
i would also include unique cards that everyone fights over though, like Steward of Gondor, Eowyn, and spirit Glorfindel, but again, these are early cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're going with 9 cards, for fun I'd go with the following:

Steward of Gondor
Sneak Attack
A Test of Will
Glorfindel
Feint
Boromir
Daeron's Runes
Quickbeam
Gandalf (core)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
And aren't we going for 9 cards from the core set, since the Power 9 were from the first magic set?

My votes:
Gandalf (core)
Sneak Attack
Test of Will
Eowyn
Feint
Henamarth Riversong (particularly when playing solo)
Northern Tracker
Steward of Gondor
Horn of Gondor

These are all cards that I regularly play today, and/or I try to avoid them because they are so powerful and it feels more creative to try something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great topic for a discussion. I agree with a lot of cards here

For player cards I'd pick:
-Steward of Gondor
-A Test of Will
-Feint
-Unexpected Courage
-Dearon's runes
-A Very Good Tale
-Quickbeam
-Warden of Healing
-Horn of Gondor (multiplayer only)
-Mithrandir's advice (2/3 Lore heroes only)
-Northern Tracker (3/4 players only)

These cards qualify for me because regardless of the deck you're playing, these cards are always good and you'll never be disapointed seeing them in your hand or playing against a scenario where they are less powerful.

I've skipped Hero/Trait specific cards like Asfaloth, light of Valinor, Gandalf's staff, treepeople etc.

My reasoning why certain cards are disqualified:
Gandalf(core)
Worked well to give each sphere access to an ability it didn't have. Now that the cardpool is expanded and you can make more synergestic and tight decks, covering your weaknesses is less interesting than buffing your strenghts and 5 cost is often unafordable.

Faramir(ally)
Not for every deck. Needs to be played AFTER other allies are played to justify it's 4 cost and flirts with the 'win more' principle.

Arwen(ally)
2 for 2 is the golden standard for spirit's willpower. But simply not every deck can really optimally use her +1 defense. In solo Westroad traveller can win out in many decks. Maybe top 10 in multiplayer.

Gather Information
Good but situational card. If you're in bad questing shape, this card does nothing for you whereas the other cards I nominated do.

Treebeard(ally)
He is powerful but comes out late when your board position might already be secured or lost. And unlike the Northern Tracker he can't turn the game around as easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
And aren't we going for 9 cards from the core set, since the Power 9 were from the first magic set?
Exactly what I was thinking.
Gandalf, SoG, Feint, Sneak Attack, Test of Will, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Phelps

Mount Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
After seeing some other posts I decided to revise my picks for the power nine. I am also splitting up player cards and heroes:

Player Cards

Steward of Gondor
Gandalf (Core)
A Test of Will
Daeron's Runes
Warden of Healing
A Very Good Tale
Feint
Quickbeam
Faramir

Heroes

Boromir (Tactics)
Glorfindel (Spirit)
Galadriel
Elrond
Eowyn
Dain Ironfoot
Erestor
Sam Gamgee
Gandalf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
My vote would be:

Steward of Gondor
Daeron's Runes
Gandalf

Test of Will
Boromir
Galadriel

Glorfindel
Hasty stroke
Elrond's council

Erestor doesn't make my list simply because you need to build a deck around him. Galadriel or glorfindel fit in almost any spirit deck. If we're talking about cards you build decks around, blood of numenor or gondorian fire are more powerful IMO.

A lot of times I've had unexpected courage in my hand and wished for something else. Not saying it's not an amazing card, but sometimes the two cost isn't economical at that time.

Henamarth riversong would make the list instead of elronds council if we were talking about only solo play. Eowyn would replace it if we were talking about a four player game.

Ethir swordsman, Faramir ally, arwen and feint all just BARELY miss out in the top 9 for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: To err is human, to arr is pirateMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: The 7th ContinentMicrobadge: Carcassonne fan
It's amazing how many of these cards are from the Core Set. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromage wrote:
Erestor doesn't make my list simply because you need to build a deck around him.
other than possibly Will of the West, what do you need? you draw everything at lightning fast speed and get all the pieces you want quicker. even if you don't have things that benefit from discarding, that's super strong.

also, i'm curious why Galadriel over Eowyn. Galadriel needs to be built around (with silvan allies who benefit from one of her abilities and/or Nenya so she can actually contribute to questing, but someone else needs to jump in for her)

anyway, my list if we're limiting to 9 cards from the core set:

Steward of Gondor
Sneak Attack
Legolas
Feint
Eowyn
Northern Tracker
A Test of Will
Forest Snare
Gandalf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudeman Blarg
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gophers79 wrote:

Steward of Gondor
Sneak Attack
A Test of Will
Glorfindel
Feint
Boromir
Daeron's Runes
Quickbeam
Gandalf (core)
I would choose these as well for the LotR Power 9. The only thing I would change is Boromir. He's damn good, but not as splashy and useful in any deck he's thrown into like Spirit Glorfy is. Maybe swap him out for Ethir Swordsman (I'm leaning towards this) or Vassal of the Windlord? Any deck can benefit from those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
A Test of Will and Hasty Stroke are so absurdly powerful that they really constrained quest creation later on by having 'this effect cannot be cancelled' which was really just 'this card is immune to A Test of Will'
a similar thing with Forest Snare had a lot of enemies and mechanics immune to player attachments (ie: immune to Forest Snare)
I feel like immunity to attachments has mostly been used to thwart Ranger Spikes (which is cheaper and generally more effective than Forest Snare), although that's my impression without going back and checking which quests have actually included attachment-immune enemies. The one I can think of is the Witch King from Massing at Osgiliath, which did predate Spikes. It could be that I really like including Spikes but haven't often run many Snares, and so I've noticed it more because of that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soullos wrote:
gophers79 wrote:

Steward of Gondor
Sneak Attack
A Test of Will
Glorfindel
Feint
Boromir
Daeron's Runes
Quickbeam
Gandalf (core)
I would choose these as well for the LotR Power 9. The only thing I would change is Boromir. He's damn good, but not as splashy and useful in any deck he's thrown into like Spirit Glorfy is. Maybe swap him out for Ethir Swordsman (I'm leaning towards this) or Vassal of the Windlord? Any deck can benefit from those.
I agree, I think Boromir is the 'weakest' of my list above. I was trying to keep to a good mix of spheres (two from each, one neutral) and card types, but I'm not sure what other Tactics card I'd throw in there. Maybe Horn? Maybe Vassal? Maybe Defender of Rammas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In magic the power 9 came from the first set because the first set was terribly unbalanced party because it was the first ccg. I don't think a power 9 for lotr should come from the core set specifically.

Two more candidates I'd like to nominate:
Deep Knowledge
Legacy of Númenor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S2076 wrote:
I don't think a power 9 for lotr should come from the core set specifically.
furthering that, i don't think 9 specific cards really fits either. there are quite a few power cards that fit into almost any deck playing that particular sphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls