Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am blessed to often have 5 - 7 players available, and would love to try C of C that way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have about 12 hours to spare? Yikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinley wrote:
I am blessed to often have 5 - 7 players available, and would love to try C of C that way!
Dang, you *are* blessed....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love that too. But I still have not found a way to manage it into a playable time frame. I have considered different variants that would allow it, but still have not found the silver bullet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Warhammer Age of Sigmar fanMicrobadge: Caylus 1303 fanMicrobadge: Rangers of Shadow Deep fanMicrobadge: Forbidden Stars fanMicrobadge: San Juan fan
I'd be in for just a 5 player expansion. I don't think I'd ever want to play it with more than 6. And, even then, that would be like a once a year event type of thing.

The designer did mention over on F:AT that there is really no plans to do any expansions to increase the player count unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I said something like the above - and that the word from Z-man back when I was doing Civilizations, was that they had so-so experience with expansions that mainly increase player count. But who knows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Warhammer Age of Sigmar fanMicrobadge: Caylus 1303 fanMicrobadge: Rangers of Shadow Deep fanMicrobadge: Forbidden Stars fanMicrobadge: San Juan fan
marqzen wrote:
But who knows
So... confirmed then? 10 player expansion in 2016?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
marqzen wrote:
But who knows
Why 10, when you can do 14?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe each player starts with 2-3 revealed regions, a settlement on each region, a few more advances, armies...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Malmendier
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that Mega Civilization ist out for up to 18 players ...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
marqzen wrote:
But who knows
Why 10, when you can do 14?
14 is too much, maybe 8-10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buy 2 sets, paint the mini's and go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought about it. Rather not buy the whole second game, as much seems unneeded. Contacted Z-Man to see about buying a couple more sets of units, blocks and civ. boards--no reply. Found nothing on their website for C of C accessories/parts, either.

Still, maybe someday I will just buy a second box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They would have to scavenge those parts from a box themselves. Add the cost of labour and it would cost more than just buying a 2nd game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinley Engvalson
United States
West Palm Beach
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Jorge
Portugal
Amora
Setúbal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In this regard, I am more concerned about the geometry of the tiles layed down. Will it be possible to keep all players equally distant from each other without "holes" in the map at this high player count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
Microbadge: Linux Mint userMicrobadge: Inkscape userMicrobadge: Raspberry Pi fanMicrobadge: LibreOffice userMicrobadge: Microsoft hater
Buy a second set. Find a way to diferentiate the minis (paint them as suggested earlier by FC). Then if it becomes an unviable option, sell it - there's a healthy second user market for CoC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would settle for a reprint of the first expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thorne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
marqzen wrote:
I would love that too. But I still have not found a way to manage it into a playable time frame. I have considered different variants that would allow it, but still have not found the silver bullet.
I'm chipping away on some "silver bullet" ideas. Best idea is that you have 2 turns per round (but up to 6 actions per turn).

Turns are split into Part A and Part B.

Part A comes first and is a "Simultaneous Phase" where players may choose 3 actions from:
Collect
Increase City Size
Civic Improvement
Advance
Found
AAA

Then you resolve any Event cards.

Part B follows as a "Turn Order Phase" where players may choose 3 actions from:
Build Units
Move
Cultural Influence
Found

Any actions may be forfeited to get a default single resource of your choice (food/ore/wood).

You can forfeit all 3 Simultaneous Phase actions to claim a "Military Emergency" and receive 2 free infantry defenders (requires 2 warfare advances) but these units cannot move during this turn

You can forfeit all 3 Turn Order Phase actions to claim a "Golden Age" and receive 1 food, 1 ore, 1 wood, and 1 culture/mood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jingo NZ wrote:
marqzen wrote:
I'm chipping away on some "silver bullet" ideas. Best idea is that you have 2 turns per round (but up to 6 actions per turn).

Turns are split into Part A and Part B.

Part A comes first and is a "Simultaneous Phase" where players may choose 3 actions from:
Collect
Increase City Size
Civic Improvement
Advance
Found
AAA

Then you resolve any Event cards.

Part B follows as a "Turn Order Phase" where players may choose 3 actions from:
Build Units
Move
Cultural Influence
Found

Any actions may be forfeited to get a default single resource of your choice (food/ore/wood).

You can forfeit all 3 Simultaneous Phase actions to claim a "Military Emergency" and receive 2 free infantry defenders (requires 2 warfare advances) but these units cannot move during this turn

You can forfeit all 3 Turn Order Phase actions to claim a "Golden Age" and receive 1 food, 1 ore, 1 wood, and 1 culture/mood

I don't see the simultaneous phase being very effective at being simultaneous. If I don't notice you buy steel weapons and roads during phase A, I'm going to get slaughtered during phase B. After the first couple rounds, CoC is too tight to ignore what your opponents spend 3 actions on. Further, limiting the B phase to only those choices is unreasonably restrictive. Why not let players choose any actions during the B phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thorne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Speedyox wrote:

I don't see the simultaneous phase being very effective at being simultaneous. If I don't notice you buy steel weapons and roads during phase A, I'm going to get slaughtered during phase B. After the first couple rounds, CoC is too tight to ignore what your opponents spend 3 actions on. Further, limiting the B phase to only those choices is unreasonably restrictive. Why not let players choose any actions during the B phase?
Excellent points, thanks for the feedback.

Some further refinement:
After the Simultaneous Phase, each player states any advances they took.
In the Turn Order Phase each player takes one action (in clockwise order) and this happens 3 times. Now, players further down the turn order only have to deal with a maximum string of 4 actions (and only one of those a military move or build).

The objective of the variant is to reduce playtime so I like the idea of minimising AP during the Turn Order Phase by restricting the number of choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls