Popular Tags: [View All]
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Flying Frog, and have purchased many games and expansions. However, I have become increasingly frustrated that I cannot access PDF rules for expansions. I often review game rules on my computer -- both before and after a purchase, and typically will use PDFs to help search for item or rules references while playing a game.

Just wondering if FFG will reconsider their policy to explicitly not make this content available. It would make at least one customer happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egor Tilpunov
Germany
Bad Homburg
Hesse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
I love Flying Frog, and have purchased many games and expansions. However, I have become increasingly frustrated that I cannot access PDF rules for expansions. I often review game rules on my computer -- both before and after a purchase, and typically will use PDFs to help search for item or rules references while playing a game.

Just wondering if FFG will reconsider their policy to explicitly not make this content available. It would make at least one customer happy.
Very unlikely. Jason Hill is afraid, that it will affect that sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merl wrote:
clloyd09 wrote:

Well, he's right -- it does affect sales. I'm very hesitant to buy something I can't access the rules for. I suppose a maniac might download rules and print up lots of bits of paper. But what makes it great for most are the pieces and board. That and the fact that it'd cost more to make your own than to buy. Sigh. I can't believe it's 2016 and a game company still has this mentality. And I really want to support them, as I generally like their stuff. Campy graphics and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egor Tilpunov
Germany
Bad Homburg
Hesse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
Merl wrote:

Well, he's right -- it does affect sales. I'm very hesitant to buy something I can't access the rules for. I suppose a maniac might download rules and print up lots of bits of paper. But what makes it great for most are the pieces and board. That and the fact that it'd cost more to make your own than to buy. Sigh. I can't believe it's 2016 and a game company still has this mentality. And I really want to support them, as I generally like their stuff. Campy graphics and all.
I hear you, and i hear you very well.
However we had few cases of people scanning and uploading it here on BGG, and it ended up with Jason demanding the removal of the files. Well, he'd better dedicate that energy towards fulfilling the Kickstarter promises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
Sounds like you already know Flying Frog's policy, so I'm trying to figure out why you're asking the question. If you want to get an answer from Flying Frog directly you'd have better luck contacting them via their website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly is the worry with having the rules online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
esswhy wrote:
What exactly is the worry with having the rules online?
Flying Frog sells add-on scenarios, some of which consist of nothing but a printed page of rules (I bought some recently). They can't sell them if people can download them for free here. They aren't the only game publisher that operates that way; business models vary.

BGG restricts the uploading of rules generally to avoid intellectual property issues; users can upload rulebooks only with the explicit consent of the I.P. holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls