Subject: Security Nexus and Disruptor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Sands
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Despite being initiated by the Security Nexus, all Traces are formally conducted by the Corp, yes? If so, could the Runner trigger the Security Nexus, and when the Trace begins, trash Disruptor to cause the Terrace to be reduced to strength zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Security Nexus says right on it that the Corp is the one doing the trace.

Security Nexus wrote:
Once per turn, when you encounter a piece of ice, you may force the Corp to "Trace5— If successful, give the Runner 1 tag and end the run. If unsuccessful, the Runner bypasses the currently encountered ice."
Either way, Justin is right that Disrupter just says "a trace", so the distinction doesn't matter.

The real question is.... Why would you do that?? Power Tap???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sands
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Wouldn't be a big deal. The Nexus isn't that impressive as a console anyway, and the ability to bypass a piece of ICE if you beat a Trace-5 is difficult, even if you're ready for it. I just thought that, of you have the Nexus (and you're playing as Sunny), having Link-3 versus Trace-0 might work out better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
APZachariah wrote:
Wouldn't be a big deal. The Nexus isn't that impressive as a console anyway, and the ability to bypass a piece of ICE if you beat a Trace-5 is difficult, even if you're ready for it. I just thought that, of you have the Nexus (and you're playing as Sunny), having Link-3 versus Trace-0 might work out better.
your options are pay 2 credits + whatever the corp spends (or just take a tag and let them spend their money) or playing Disrupter, which includes the clicks and credits to draw it and install in (with a 1c install cost). the latter option also means you are including Disrupter in your deck.
ignoring that it costs influence, you're still using Disrupter

imo, just pay the 2c and put better cards in your deck instead of Disrupter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sands
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I mostly agree, but failing the Nexus Trace also ends the run in addition to the tag. It's not the tag I'm so worried about. If it was, I'd just save a click and ditch it afterward.

Like I mentioned, it's not something to rely upon, but maybe a means of bypassing some ICE you can't conventionally deal with at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sands
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thinking on it, Nexus might be a sideways means of jacking out AFTER the ICE is rezzed. They rez something you can't deal with, so you run the Trace program instead, and instead of taking 4 brain damage from a Bioroid you take a tag instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
APZachariah wrote:
Thinking on it, Nexus might be a sideways means of jacking out AFTER the ICE is rezzed. They rez something you can't deal with, so you run the Trace program instead, and instead of taking 4 brain damage from a Bioroid you take a tag instead.
yes, that is in face one of the strongest uses of the card and, imo, why every Sunny should be wary of going past 4 link since you can no longer fail on purpose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
APZachariah wrote:
yes, that is in face one of the strongest uses of the card and, imo, why every Sunny should be wary of going past 4 link since you can no longer fail on purpose
Well, if you succeed, you bypass the ICE, so you aren't dealing with it anyways. Whether you succeed or fail, the ICE you're encountering doesn't get to fire any of its subroutines, so it's win-win if it would have wrecked you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it would only be useful to fail on purpose if you had already hit a whirlpool, or under a "Offer you can't refuse" run where you cannot jack out. Otherwise just bypass and jackout.

I've never seen anyone running Labyrinthine Servers, but it would be a good counter to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
Yeah, it would only be useful to fail on purpose if you had already hit a whirlpool, or under a "Offer you can't refuse" run where you cannot jack out. Otherwise just bypass and jackout.

I've never seen anyone running Labyrinthine Servers, but it would be a good counter to that.
yeah, i think in the back of my head i had considered jack out effects, and then they just merged into my basic understanding of the strategy involved lol

i retract my statement. keeping the possibility of failing on purpose isn't really enough for Ancestral Imager, An Offer You Can't Refuse, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jakodrako wrote:
Actually, yes, I wanted to know this. Does Power Tap fire and then disruptor fire it again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheAuthorOfOZ wrote:
jakodrako wrote:
Actually, yes, I wanted to know this. Does Power Tap fire and then disruptor fire it again?
yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Quirk
msg tools
dr00 wrote:
TheAuthorOfOZ wrote:
jakodrako wrote:
yes
Is there a ruling on this? I assumed it didn't fire twice because the initial trace was prevented as if it never occurred in the first place.

I'm not arguing that this is the way it is, just the way I assumed it was. I very well could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Morris
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite your (completely reasonable best judgment), there isin fact a ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Quirk
msg tools
jakodrako wrote:
Despite your (completely reasonable best judgment), there isin fact a ruling.

Well there you go. Thanks for that ruling.

So the terminology of "prevent" still allows triggers to occur from a source that is being prevented. I wonder if this precedence could be exploited further in the future with cards like Plascrete or some other damage prevention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls