Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally posted this in the X-Wing: Force Awakens forum, but I realize I should have posted it here.

We got D&D Attack Wing last year, and we tried really hard to get into it. We got a number of expansions, and we have lots of options for building. We played a ton of games. We've integrated a variety of 2D and/or 3D terrain... but while the fantasy theme hits the spot so well, the game just feels really clunky. (We've recently gone back to playing Warhammer: Diskwars regularly -- that feels like it has a lot more finesse, and we really have a lot more fun with that.)

My question is -- if D&D Attack Wing isn't quite my game, will this not be my game either? This does seem more streamlined and direct than DDAW. (For example, while I really like the premise of troops in DDAW, it just adds more clunk.)

I have the feeling this might be different enough that we might like it well, but I'm curious if anyone else who has played both has some insight. :)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the core set isn't too expensive to try out, but I would think your local game shop has some players that would love to teach you and let you try it out

I love it, fun game
very thematic and I love Star Wars

I didn't like Attack Wing, just wasn't as much fun
JMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Wing is tons better than Attack Wing, but I agree with Kevin. Most FLGSes will allow you to try it, especially if there's an X-Wing night. Many gamers come with their complete collection, so would gladly let you borrow some ships for a game night. Considering your bad experience with AW, try it before you buy it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. I'm on a little island in the middle of nowhere, though, so Amazon is my nearest FLGS. (Which is why I come here for perspective.)

I appreciate your thoughts, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
B├╝ckeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
get off my avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch a match or introduction video on youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis Wong
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you like the manouvering aspects of D&D you'll like Star Wars. It is less reliant on upgrade cards than the D&D. Also all units in Star Wars are somewhat useful and will see play. It is not like the D&D where just a few units dominate with others never seeing the light of day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CPTNCC1701D wrote:

but half the fun (or maybe even more) is the theme on which the game is based
I think that the theme is going to be a big part of the fun for a lot of people, it sure is to me!

I'm a huge Star Wars/Star Trek fan and I have invested a bit of coin in both of these games and I absolutely love them even though I'm really not that good at them. My wife does too, I think she likes them more than I do and she isn't a hard core gamer at all. You know the back story, you know the ships as soon as you see them and you can play out scenarios from the back story, make up your own, try fan made stuff (check out the co-op x-wing variant Heroes of the Aturi Cluster OMG) and it all instantly clicks.

I've tried other minis systems and I can see where the fun is but they don't hit the emotional highs that these two do because of my love of the theme. And I have no interest in something like D&D, I don't even feel motivated to give it a try.

Theme really makes a big difference, at least to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
The general consensus is that X-Wing is much better in a lot of ways than the Attack Wing games, but the core gameplay is exactly the same. It really depends on what you found clunky about D&D AW. A lot of people don't like the bumping and imperfect measuring that can happen sometimes in these analog war games. If you like Diskwars though, I suspect this isn't an issue for you.

I think in general the powers in X-Wing are much less complicated than D&D attack wing. There are no recharging powers, or ground units that have special rules. Things can get very complicated in X-Wing with the timing of certain abilities, but most of these questions are answered very clearly in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always try a vassal game too...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have come to find out that I like it much better than Star Trek: Attack Wing. X-Wing has so much more depth in the maneuver portion of the game, and the upgrades as a whole are far more interesting and better balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody! We'll give it a shot! (pew-pew)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Breuch
Germany
Kettig
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want a fantasy setting I can recommend Tail Feathers.
The use of units that can't fly is quite intressting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls