Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rick haroutunian
Canada
Georgetown
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
New to the game and have only played one game so far so I am looking for verification with ranged fire attack.

Is this considered a double ability? In other words, if an enemy had a fire resistance and an armour of 5, would I be able to take out the enemy with a 5 ranged fire attack because of the ranged attack ability?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben De Tullio
United States
Pembroke Pines
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Ranged attack means you can attack an enemy in the first phase of combat, before the enemy as a chance to attack you. If you have a fire attack and the enemy has fire resistance, your attack will be halved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sibo
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No rules handy and I'm not sure what you mean by double ability but a ranged attack of five would kill a 5 defence monster as long as it's not fortified.

Fire resistance only affects fire attacks, so unless your ranged attack is fire based you don't have to worry about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is whether the enemy needs not just fire resistance but "ranged fire" resistance to block efficiently.

The answer is no. The type of attack is fire. If the enemy has fire resistance they block it efficiently. The ranged just means you can attack in the ranged combat phase.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickjunyor wrote:
New to the game and have only played one game so far so I am looking for verification with ranged fire attack.

Is this considered a double ability? In other words, if an enemy had a fire resistance and an armour of 5, would I be able to take out the enemy with a 5 ranged fire attack because of the ranged attack ability?

Thanks.

You need to distinguish between the type of the attack, and the element of the attack.

The type (melee, ranged or siege) only affects when you can play the attack (melee can be played in the attack phase, ranged can also be played in the ranged phase unless the enemy is fortified etc.)

The element of the attack (physical, fire, ice or cold fire) matters only in relation to resistances. If you enemy is fire resistant, fire attacks are halved.

Whether your ranged attack has a fire element has no effect on when you can play it. Similarly, whether your elemental attack has a ranged type has no effect on how it is affected by resistances)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick haroutunian
Canada
Georgetown
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great response.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.