Subject: nerdook or redjak solo variant ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools

Ive just been reading up about the nerdook and redjak solo variants and am so confused about which one to get into as they both seem to be excellent.From what i gather the nerdook variant sounds very similar to the delven deep redjak variant and the redjak monster variant is a more streamlined and less fiddly version of the redjak automated overlord variant.At the moment from what ive read i think the nerdook version of the dungeon crawling experience for descent seems to be quite popular and the monster activation variant of redjaks campaing play versions is better than the automated overlord variant.

I'd love to get some opinions from other more experienced players of the variants as to which one they choose or prefer and why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doakes WD
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi Sam,

REDJACK:
The best and most active variant maker on the block :-) At the moment Redjack's Automated Monster Variant (RAMV) is the hottest variant i think, and also has easy to follow rules. But also quite changes the basic game, new event cards instead of overlord deck & alternating turns.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1416738/redjaks-automated-m...
*** His "Encounter Objective" cards from the RAMV set are simply a must have, they break the Descent campaign open by setting up the main monstertargets for each quest, they are unmissable - even for play with any other variant!

His automated overlord variant (RAOV) is a bit more true to the original game, rules are more elaborated - but the variant itself is easy as well.

Delvendeep is Redjack's "Diablo" hack & slash dungeon mod - but i havent played it yet - read the rules several times though.

NERDOOK:
The main guy who got me into coop/solo Descent, and i think inspired Redjack as well? Very sleek and simply variants, but he left the scene, so no more modding...

If you are new to variant play i'd -very much- suggest starting with a mix of both authors work, and also i think the easiest setup:
Nerdook's D6 variant, but using Redjack's chart for it.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/103930/redjaks-version-ne...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1160543/nerdooks-d6-overlor...

Very simple rules, only one thing to print (!) & very close to the original game - with the blue descent die acting as a monster brain. (maybe don't use the overlord deck mechanic in your first run, just to ease into the solo/coop gameplay form)

If you are into Diablo style delving, i only played Nerdook's other variant, Coop 2.2, but really liked it as well!

---
So my advice, start with the easy and fast D6 variant & then move on to RAMV!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam faraci
Australia
melbourne
victoria
flag msg tools
Thanks for your reply doakes. i'll definately start with the d6 variant and then perhaps work my way up to redjaks monster variant.Its fantastic to see that people like redjak and nerdook have put so much time and effort toward producing these variants so i'd like to say thank you to them for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not tried RAMV, but I am sure it is great. I play extensively with RAOV, and I cannot recommend it enough. The main reasons I have not switched to RAMV is that RAOV is simple to use and is compatible with ALL of the official Descent materials, and I like the ability to use everything I have.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nerdook does have some excellent variants. I believe his approach is generally to come up with his own systems that tend to break away fomr the official rules. And he does have some excellent ideas which seem to play well.

I created RAOV with the intent of keeping as close to the official rules as possible. Which can make it a bit complicated at times. RAMV breaks away from that, but is also a much smoother system (and I personally solely play with RAMV now). And DelvenDeep completely throws a good chunk of the original rules out the window.

And yes, Nerdook was my inspiration to create RAOV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Reney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also add that Percepter's legendary variant is worth a look. It is integrated with RAOV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.