Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the current single voter on the "User Suggested # of Players" poll on the game page can anyone speak to how well this plays with 2? I know most trick taking games are better with more players however was wondering if this was still enjoyable with 2 or even if some prefer it as such due to some change in the dynamic of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Personman10 wrote:
Aside from the current single voter on the "User Suggested # of Players" poll on the game page can anyone speak to how well this plays with 2? I know most trick taking games are better with more players however was wondering if this was still enjoyable with 2 or even if some prefer it as such due to some change in the dynamic of play.
As the designer of the game, my take is that Black Hat is certainly most fun with 4-6 players. Why? Because it's more dynamic that way and as it HAS player interaction (unlike vast majority of trick taking games) that is far more limited in 2-3 player versions.

But the 2-player game is certainly better than "average tricktaking" with 2-players. We've played that a lot. It changes the way you need to think to win, as you need to consider the robot constantly.

I'd only play 2-player games WITH THE TRACER as that makes it much more enjoyable and punishes the passive player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
Personman10 wrote:
As the designer of the game, my take is that Black Hat is certainly most fun with 4-6 players. Why? Because it's more dynamic that way and as it HAS player interaction (unlike vast majority of trick taking games) that is far more limited in 2-3 player versions.

But the 2-player game is certainly better than "average tricktaking" with 2-players. We've played that a lot. It changes the way you need to think to win, as you need to consider the robot constantly.

I'd only play 2-player games WITH THE TRACER as that makes it much more enjoyable and punishes the passive player.
Well I certainly didn't expect to hear straight from the designer . Thank you for your input. I enjoy trick taking games with an interesting twist but I rarely get them to the table with larger numbers which lead to my question. I'm going to have to grab a copy and give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Personman10 wrote:
Eridis wrote:
Personman10 wrote:

Well I certainly didn't expect to hear straight from the designer . Thank you for your input. I enjoy trick taking games with an interesting twist but I rarely get them to the table with larger numbers which lead to my question. I'm going to have to grab a copy and give it a go.

Understandable that many trick taking games don't really work with 2-players.

And we're open for improvements, so if you happen to find bugs in our thinking, do not hesitate to contact us. We love feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timo, I watched some video reviews and I would love to get this game. But it is very expensive to purchase (for me) here in the USA. And I think that I would only buy it with the 2 sided game board with those extra tiles really look like lots of fun to use. But like I said, sadly the price is a bit too much.
Anyone know of any links for a decent price range?

my edit... I know this is probably the wrong place for my question but I mainly play games as two players, so it made sense to me to place it here. I hope its ok with the OP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dcm70 wrote:
Timo, I watched some video reviews and I would love to get this game. But it is very expensive to purchase (for me) here in the USA. And I think that I would only buy it with the 2 sided game board with those extra tiles really look like lots of fun to use. But like I said, sadly the price is a bit too much.
Anyone know of any links for a decent price range?

my edit... I know this is probably the wrong place for my question but I mainly play games as two players, so it made sense to me to place it here. I hope its ok with the OP
Hi Dave,

Sadly, the small publishers can't make price range that larger publishers could (with larger printing volumes). But there is hardly anything we can do to that (besides aiming to grow .

As far as I know you should get the double sided edition (called Kickstarter premium) from Nobleknight.com

And yes, the Kickstarter version does cost more than the standard edition. The only difference is the board. Tiles are available on every edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls