1914: Germany at War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarifying what "Units" are rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First let me say - this looks like it is going to be a great game, just like Waterloo! My brother and I got a chance to play the opening turn tonight, and it is a tense, challenging game from the very first impulse!

We ran into one rule that seems clear, but we wanted to double check. Are garrisons 'units' for causing the extra +1 movement to enter their area?

Here is what came up. Area 17 with 2 fortresses (one garrison each) had no other French units in it, but was a French controlled area? If a German unit entered area 17, does it pay the +1mp to enter?

If so, great. If not, then do the Germans control the area and the French still control the fortresses?

We ask because rule 4.0 says that Leaders, infantry, and cavalry are defined as 'units' for the rules. And the presence of enemy units causes the extra +1 and controls the area.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark,

yes entering (or exiting) an Area containing enemy Garrison costs +1 MP.

Garrisons may be easily sacrified as speed-bumps in the opening stages, as they do not count for eliminated units, while they play a stronghold role in the second part of the game. Nothing is written in stones, just a general overall.

Does it help?

Now I'm very curious about the development of the game...

emanuele

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Emanuele! That helps a lot!

We hope to continue the game today. The Germans (played by me) are trying to keep the sleeve of the soldier on the right brushing the Channel! There is a weak spot between the French and Belgians that I hope to exploit. But the French have implemented Plan XVII (we are using the optional rules)! So I have a slight hole on the German left. But I must "keep the right strong!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pacey Dorset
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The Plan 17 option was my one contribution to the game - apart from giving the British defence bonus its title "The Mad Minute." This is the first time I have had an involvement in a published game, and well, it just means a lot to see the rule being used and enjoyed within a great design.
Warmest thanks to Emanuele for bringing me on board.
Paul Comben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Plan XVII rule is an excellent addition, thanks!

I would strongly recommend players use the Plan XVII optional rule. Not only does it add a great piece of history, but it is fun to see the French lured out onto the attack even as the Germans near Paris! Great balancing act for both players! Without it, the French will just swing to the left automatically. With the rule, it is a difficult choice whether to reinforce the left or plunge into Germany for Valor Points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls