Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn VanHuss
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Beat your thoughts to the mould of your will" - Leman Russ
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game, having a lot of fun, but one rule I'm not sure on.

The rulebook states that during setup "the player who has most recently earned GLORY in battle receives the First Player Marker"

Then for placing worker placement it states "Beginning with ehe player holding the first player marker and proceeding clockwise"

These are the only two spots I can find the rulebook mention the first player marker leaving me with two questions.

1. Does it move each round or are you forced to steal it using a worker in the LongHouse?

2. If it does move, when does it move? At clean up or the start of the next round?

This will make a difference based on use of the LongHouse.

This seems confusing for a 2 player game as well.

Thanks so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a spot on the board where you go and get the first player marker.
As soon as you go to that spot you get the first player marker.

If no one goes to longspot the first player marker just stays with the person who currently owns it.

If you own the first player marker and you got to the longhouse you have to pass it to your left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
There is a spot on the board where you go and get the first player marker.
As soon as you go to that spot you get the first player marker.

If no one goes to longspot the first player marker just stays with the person who currently owns it.

If you own the first player marker and you got to the longhouse you have to pass it to your left.
Steven has it exactly right.

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there's no way to guarantee you retain the First Player marker once you have it? That strikes me as odd.

If you were to go to the Longhouse again to retain your spot, it seems only getting an additional swordsman on top of a benefit you already enjoy is a fair trade off if you're allowing your opponents a shot at other spaces that often yield better rewards (and workers are pretty scarce as it is).

And what if the Longhouse happens to be the only remaining space with a warrior available? The first player gets punished because they want the extra die for their ranks?

That being said, in a session I recently played there was only one turn in which no one used the Longhouse. However, I don't see any reason why the marker should pass to the left if the current owner chose to revisit the space (unless it's intended as a deterrent).

Otherwise, I'm very pleased with my purchase, too. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharman Beltran
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I think the rule is there because, otherwise, the first person would always place their 1st worker meeple on the longhouse to be First Player, thus ensuring they were first player for EVERY ROUND. I came to this realization when playing this game for the 1st time with my very, very competitive friend, and we didn't notice in the rules that if the player that already has the First Player Token goes to the longhouse, they must pass the First Player Token to the left; therefore, for this first that game, she was First Player every round! Not fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What use is being first player if you always waste your first move to be first player? Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue is this:

The first player gets to go for the troll and stop any other player doing so. This let's him offload Blame onto any other player. However, by doing so, he allows another player to go to the Longhall, ensuring he won't be able to pull off this trick turn after turn.

(I realise a player might prefer to do something else other than fight the troll on their first turn, but the point still applies: acting first may confer an advantage and the rules ensure that other players can stop someone holding onto that advantage turn after turn).

(The first player may of course only do innocuous things on their first turn and no one may bother going to the Longhall - especially later in the game when a solitary white dice is scant reward for a worker placement. But then again, you're rather wasting the first player advantage if you're not using it to do things that annoy your rivals).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls