Subject: Possible to play without using the legacy elements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if it is possible to play and enjoy Gloomhaven without using the legacy elements? Or are they an integral part of the game and its enjoyment?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play any of the scenarios as a one-off tactical dungeon crawl type experience. There are rules for scaling both the difficulty of the scenario and setting your characters to whatever level you desire. So yes, it's certainly possible. But you will be missing a good chunk of what the game has to offer if that's the only way you play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
Microbadge: Pipe smokerMicrobadge: Mythic RPG fanMicrobadge: Dachshund loverMicrobadge: DepressedMicrobadge: Hellraiser-Pinhead fan - Pinhead-'We'll Tear Your Soul Apart!'
the map and the stickers will be available by download. and the cards could be sleeved to use the stickers on them. so, i think you can enjoy the full game without damage the original elements of the game.

off-topic: i've seen the map tiles in the last update. they are awesome! great art! (i like the hex patters)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
It's definitely an integral part of the game but you could cut it out and play a variation there of, minus the storied impact and character development. Also, as suggested alter the physical components.

If you are worried about replayability there are a ton of missions/scenarios, 12 characters, etc. how many of your games have 50+ plays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R3DSH1FT wrote:
It's definitely an integral part of the game but you could cut it out and play a variation there of, minus the storied impact and character development. Also, as suggested alter the physical components.

If you are worried about replayability there are a ton of missions/scenarios, 12 characters, etc. how many of your games have 50+ plays?
I'm worried because the only friend of mine that will play this with me is only around once every four months or so. It wouldn't be very fun for me to play it solo a ton and then have him hop in with all sorts of stuff changed in between sessions when we can play together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
I'm worried because the only friend of mine that will play this with me is only around once every four months or so. It wouldn't be very fun for me to play it solo a ton and then have him hop in with all sorts of stuff changed in between sessions when we can play together.
Basically "all sort of stuff changed" represent more possible missions, and different outcome for some events because "the world has changed".

I thing you might make it really thematic: you play an adventure team around the world and your friend is some kind of lone wolf that only shows himself in a mission once in a while. Like Gandalf that only makes an appearance once or twice each century. You can keep some "juicy looking locations" for your sessions with him. And if you unlock some cool new classes, items, and locations, he will be able to play with all of them.

Maybe leave enchanting on the side, because it does change the skills of all characters of a class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls