Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
75 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Have bad reviews/comments ever made you want to buy a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
None of this is real you know, right? Go out in real life and smell the roses. Unless you're allergic.
Avatar
Microbadge: I purchased 100 microbadges in a single day.Microbadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.Microbadge: I love falafel!
You know, reviews or comments that were so blatantly unfair that you wanted to the buy the game to somehow balance out the negative opinion of the reviewer/commenter.

This particular comment is what inspired my post:



It's a comment on CO₂. Now CO2 sounds like a cool game. I like the topical theme and the semi-coop idea is appealing, but it's actually not really a game for me. I might like it but I suspect it won't be the wife's cup of tea and definitely not the kid or our friends. It's just not a game that will hit the table. Yet I still want to buy just to support the game in the face of such silly hostility.

Or maybe it's just an excuse to feed my game buying jones?
23 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Certainly. There are a lot of things about games generally perceived as negatives that I find appealing, and when I see the terms used disparingly in a review it tends to get me more interested in the game as containing elements I like.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You seem to be baiting for political controversy with this thread.

I'll just note, without reflecting on my own political views or thoughts on global warming, that CO2 obviously presents a leftist approach to the topic. If you just read the game's description, the whole issue and the contemplated solutions are all framed in a big government perspective.

To your question I would answer yes. Any comment about "analysis paralysis" is likely to make me more interested in a game. I also like resource denial strategies that sometimes generate frustrated comments. However I have never wanted to buy a game just to spite someone who didn't like it.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther Joey Diamond
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hahah that comment totally makes me want to buy the game. Like many non-Americans I don't think Big Government is some kind of boogeyman.

I wonder if I can search for other leftist propaganda games somehow? It would make a change from the relentless exploitation of resources and people in the name of money....
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I semi-follow a user who seems to only comment on the games he's rated a 1 (which makes up almost a 3rd of his entire collection).

One comment is particularly scathing towards a game because it included dogs. There are dogs in the game.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
You seem to be baiting for political controversy with this thread.

I'll just note, without reflecting on my own political views or thoughts on global warming, that CO2 obviously presents a leftist approach to the topic. If you just read the game's description, the whole issue and the contemplated solutions are all framed in a big government perspective.
How leftist is it thought? The game still encourages healthy economic competition (heck, it's even the winning condition!).




I've been wanting to try this game as the semi-cooperative mechanics seem to tie in perfectly to the theme. You want to be the most profitable business on Earth, but if there's little Earth left on which to celebrate, then... well, you should have been a bit more accountable to your actions.

This game was incredibly timely as well -- considering how in the last few days US scientists collectively put out a statement that up to half of the erratic weather events in the last few years have human-created pollution as strong causal agents.




But then again, I'm also interested in Archipelago for similar reasons: a colonial game where the colonists might actually have to be held partially accountable for their actions and the consequences they create not only to fellow colonists but also to the Indigenous peoples to whom they are creating highly uneven relations with.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
I semi-follow a user who seems to only comment on the games he's rated a 1 (which makes up almost a 3rd of his entire collection).

One comment is particularly scathing towards a game because it included dogs. There are dogs in the game.
Is he a cartwright?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Maybe not buy but read more into it and check it out... I usually like games that some of the reviewers tend to always be negative on...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will buy most games that make Tom Vasel seethe with anger.
27 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Berg von Linde
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
when are we getting an expansion for Yedo?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big government? You guys realise that CO2 is about companies making money off of climate change reduction, right? There is no bonus for getting the emmision as low as possible. Also, climate change isnt 'leftist politics', it is scientific politics.
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joelpetersen wrote:
Also, climate change isnt 'leftist politics', it is scientific politics.
There is no such thing as "scientific politics." That's a nonsense term. Science helps us understand nature and the way the world works, but science does not recommend what should be done about any particular finding, much less what the government should coerce people to do about it.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 challenge to play 10 games 10 times eachMicrobadge: I love symmetryMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Tea drinker
Yup, the comment in the OP totally makes me want to buy the game as well!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
skutsch wrote:
Yet I still want to buy just to support the game in the face of such silly hostility.
Do you also sell off games which are praised unjustly?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the game and there was never a moment that I thought the game was trying to cram leftist political ideologies down my throat. It sounds like the user who wrote those comments might be letting his paranoia get the better of him. I'm sure if you spend enough time analyzing most games that involve economics, geographic expansion, and several other topics, you could convince yourself there is a hidden, dastardly plot to warp your mind. shake
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watkins
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
joelpetersen wrote:
Also, climate change isnt 'leftist politics', it is scientific politics.
There is no such thing as "scientific politics." That's a nonsense term. Science helps us understand nature and the way the world works, but science does not recommend what should be done about any particular finding, much less what the government should coerce people to do about it.
'Evidence based' politics is probably the better term than 'scientific'.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Firefly fanMicrobadge: Origins attendeeMicrobadge: Cyclades fan
I have gotten some excellent games this way. In particular, there are reviewers I watch because they produce incredibly entertaining videos. They also give good information about the games they review, but their conclusions about those games are often a big mismatch with my own tastes.

This usually would not bother me, but the reviewers in question do not treat this as a matter of taste. Instead, they explain why nobody should buy this or that game using overly-clever language. This part of their reviews is a real turn off. They're trying to sound smart, but end up sounding snobby. Many of the games they do not recommend have become my favorites.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I stab your meeple in its face
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring the weird rightist Lysenkoism:

Any game that gets comments like "too much backstabbing" or "it will make you hate your friends" gets a second look from me.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: Welcome to Zombo.com. You can do anything at Zombo.com. Anything at all. The only limit is yourself.Microbadge: rightMicrobadge: Easily MisunderstoodMicrobadge: leftMicrobadge: Slavoj Žižek
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Ignoring the weird rightist Lysenkoism:

Any game that gets comments like "too much backstabbing" or "it will make you hate your friends" gets a second look from me.
Oh, yeah.

Too random, too much chaos (there is no such a thing!), too nasty.

Oh and "there's barely a game in there" (I like low overhead social games)

I always get good information from negative comments, combining them with positive ones, of course. That's creating the complete picture.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Avatar
"Waaaah waaaah waaaah, it's really difficult to gauge the effect of your choices. There's no randomness and this game has no catch up mechanism..."


BUY! BUY NOW!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I take a look at any game that people designate as "too mathy."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qu'est-ce que c'est ?
United States
Catistan
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Calico cat lover Microbadge:  Tabby cat lover Microbadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: I survived the Mayan apocalypseMicrobadge: War Elephant enthusiast
That sound like a really dull game. It sounds like an "educational" game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I love shut up and sit down, Quinn's review of Shogun really makes me want it. I don't care if the board isn't pretty, the game looks great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I stab your meeple in its face
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
That sound like a really dull game. It sounds like an "educational" game.
It sounds like a Simpsons episode:

Bart: Can we play a board game Lisa?

Lisa: Sure Bart! I've got a great game about C02 emissions!

Bart: Eat my shorts.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
fambans wrote:
That sound like a really dull game. It sounds like an "educational" game.
It sounds like a Simpsons episode:

Bart: Can we play a board game Lisa?

Lisa: Sure Bart! I've got a great game about C02 emissions!

Bart: Eat my shorts.
pretty sure I could make a list like that of nearly every game in the top 100
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
None of this is real you know, right? Go out in real life and smell the roses. Unless you're allergic.
Avatar
Microbadge: I purchased 100 microbadges in a single day.Microbadge: We are all going to be dead, so why sleeve?Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.Microbadge: I love falafel!
Mark B wrote:
I have gotten some excellent games this way. In particular, there are reviewers I watch because they produce incredibly entertaining videos. They also give good information about the games they review, but their conclusions about those games are often a big mismatch with my own tastes.

This usually would not bother me, but the reviewers in question do not treat this as a matter of taste. Instead, they explain why nobody should buy this or that game using overly-clever language. This part of their reviews is a real turn off. They're trying to sound smart, but end up sounding snobby. Many of the games they do not recommend have become my favorites.
You intrigue me. Er, which reviewers?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |