Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
(This is just a repost of my original message from the 1st edition page)

Okay, let the photo-bombing begin!!

I got my copy from Alan (VPG) today in the mail. How quick is that? California to Minnesota in two days. Not bad. Thank you, Alan, for a speedy delivery, you can tell he is giddy to get this out there. So below are the components of this newer edition of NEMO'S WAR, but be warned this is not final production bits, they will make modifications and tweaks for the final product. But I assume what you're looking at is pretty close to the original.

Let's begin--also as a note, I haven't read the new rules or played it yet, but it is on my table, and I'm reading the rules after I get done teaching tonight.

Possible Box art of the new edition(?):

Got the box and ripped it open right away.

I love the word fragile. Reminds me of one of my favorite movies:

I punched the bits and cleaned them--quite a bit of chrome here. Nice. I assume the final copy won't be the VPG sooty counters(?)

Nice cards:

The new map:

Bits & Components (what are the jewels for? Hmmmmmm……):

Let's do some compare & contrast with the old edition. How do they look next to each other:

The ship counters (lots of them!!)

The cards--out with the old and in with the awesome!

The map:

My apologies for this being so long. But as usual with VPG lately, the bits look pretty damn good close up. Some of my photos above don't do them justice--I'll get better shots when I do a play-through later. It's about time a great narrative game like this get a facelift. I love Dawn of the Zeds and Hero of Weehawken for the stories they tell, so if that's the kind of game you're looking for, Nemo's War fits that mold--again I'll have to give a full review later after I have played the new rules/version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks gorgeous!

I know, they're not the production ready components, but let me add anyway that I really, really, really hope that the final tiles and cards will be centered... that Shenandoah ship is unwatchable gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I really, really, really hope that the final tiles and cards will be centered...
They had better be! The laser-cut playtest kit you see is NOT the same as the printer's die-cut counters which, as professionals, they should get correct.

I can't wait until they start reporting on the great new gameplay enhancements.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Abercrombie
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
It's been confusion from the word go!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking very cool. I've been wanting to get this game for awhile so can't resist getting in on the Kickstarter. Only thing that could possibly make it any better would be to get Kevin O'Neill to contribute some kind of art for a stretch goal/promo.

http://in1.ccio.co/d1/bF/o2/eaca459b92288375a87e279ad8179689...

http://captainnemoawesome.yolasite.com/resources/scan0001.jp...

Love his and Alan Moore's version of Nemo and the Nautilus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting for the "game bubble."
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Nemo's War so this is a must buy! I this this will surely give it the wider audience it deserves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man those look really good. Love the art on the cards and the new cover
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice new artwork and graphics, well done, will probably pick this up, as its probably my favorite VPG game.

BUT, a small part of me wishes that someone else picked up the production of the updated edition of this game, it would be even better with little plastic ships and generally higher quality components than the soot & burn marked laden counters it is coming with, I prefer thick cardboard counters (ala Fantasy Flight and others) than these wooden novelties. I also wished they had better card quality as well. Oh well. Still good to see an updated edition.

edit: further thread reading seems to suggest they are going with cardboard counters, hope so. I stopped buying VPG games after buying a couple of these sooted games, which won't help any game get to the mainstream they deserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
Nice new artwork and graphics, well done, will probably pick this up, as its probably my favorite VPG game.

BUT, a small part of me wishes that someone else picked up the production of the updated edition of this game, it would be even better with little plastic ships and generally higher quality components than the soot & burn marked laden counters it is coming with, I prefer thick cardboard counters (ala Fantasy Flight and others) than these wooden novelties. I also wished they had better card quality as well. Oh well. Still good to see an updated edition.

edit: further thread reading seems to suggest they are going with cardboard counters, hope so. I stopped buying VPG games after buying a couple of these sooted games, which won't help any game get to the mainstream they deserve.
Personally I like VPGs components, but I think that this one will be produced externally like they're doing with Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
Microbadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: SoloCon attendeeMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Gaming is best soloMicrobadge: Solo Eurogamer
mortenmdk wrote:
Garfink wrote:

Personally I like VPGs components, but I think that this one will be produced externally like they're doing with Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition.
I too like their in-house components.

But Morten is correct. It will be produced by a third party just as Zeds 3e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
That box cover is simply stunning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Garfink wrote:

That's good to hear! I will hold out for that version then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
BUT, a small part of me wishes that someone else picked up the production of the updated edition of this game,
I'm sorry that you don't think VPG can handle it...

Quote:
it would be even better with little plastic ships and generally higher quality components than the soot & burn marked laden counters it is coming with,
We're preparing for a plastic Nautilus, and the counters will be die cut and the card quality will be just like "Fantasy Flight and others."

Quote:
I stopped buying VPG games after buying a couple of these sooted games, which won't help any game get to the mainstream they deserve.
Well, our games have been marching inexorably into the mainstream, sooted counters and all. Somebody out there is appreciating them for what they are. Hopefully, more people will discover them also!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he's saying anything about the quality of the game itself, just that he'd like to have a big box of minis instead of counters?

Personally, I only have one VPG game so far (Darkest Night) but I really like the laser-cut counters. They've very thick and solid. So, I'm of the opposite viewpoint, I'm hoping that these new counters will be as good as what I'm "used to" from VPG

Note however that I bought my game second-hand so I didn't have to deal with any soot, it had already been taken care of by the prior owner. Still, it's a one-time thing to wipe the edges I imagine, so I doubt it would be a big deal for me.

And, I'd rather have counters for the Nemo's War ships so I can see their stats easily. With minis you usually have to refer to something else to get that information which is less convenient.

If the Nautilus mini turns out nicely, I'll be glad to have it. If not, I can use one of these:

btw - that's two separate minis in the picture, one version with the sub surfaced and one submerged.

Being someone who just bought my first VPG game recently my main problem now is that the next couple games I want to buy aren't available. So, I'm stuck waiting in line for the new editions of Dawn of the Zeds and Nemo's War.

I'd heard of VPG before, but earlier on I was mostly into 2p competitive gaming - LCGs and tabletop minis game, that sort of thing. Now with a kid I've been having a hard time finding time to meet up and play so migrating to solitaire gaming makes a lot of sense and that seems to be one of the areas VPG is best known for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the minor inconvenience of having to clean the sooty VPG counters, I love them a lot. Very thick, durable, always look good--I'd say even better looking than a lot of regular standard counters made by other companies.

I don't think I'd want minis with this, the ship counters are really well done and give a lot of flavor, by having the name of the ship, and each ship is its own little piece of art. Though, having the Nautilus a s a mini will be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to weigh in on the counter side myself too. I love me some minis but I don't love them to the extent that I want them in all my games in every aspect. I don't think they game suffers at all from not having miniatures in place of the counters (although a mini Nautilus does sound cool and makes sense for that piece).

I'm not sure I'd love cleaning soot but I have to admit I'm disappointed I didn't upgrade to those counters with my Dawn of the Zeds pledge. Sounds like I'm missing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini's are one of those ideas that usually sounds better than it works out. As David points out, counters convey so much more information, and so much more efficiently, that I almost always prefer them.

In this case, counters for ships works great, and a mini for Nautilis will also work, while adding just enough "gee whiz" to flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mini's are one of those ideas that usually sounds better than it works out. As David points out, counters convey so much more information, and so much more efficiently, that I almost always prefer them.

In this case, counters for ships works great, and a mini for Nautilus will also work, while adding just enough "gee whiz" to flavor.
This is exactly what we discovered during playtesting. Besides, Ian O'Toole, the artist, created an ORIGINAL drawing for every single ship! I would much rather have that (with all the data that I can easily read) than minis and a separate look-up table to reference the data.

I think we made the right choices here; this is the benefit of really taking our time and getting NEMO'S WAR second edition right.

And, for VPG laser counter fans, we found a solution creating those as a separate item for ZEDS; I'm hopeful that we can do the same with NEMO'S WAR...

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
And, for VPG laser counter fans, we found a solution creating those as a separate item for ZEDS; I'm hopeful that we can do the same with NEMO'S WAR...
Did we ever figure out whether the laser cut tokens would be available to people who missed the Kickstarter?

Also, are there any comparison pics where we can see the laser cut token and the regular token side by side? It would be good to see exactly what the difference is, or hear from someone who's seen both versions.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Did we ever figure out whether the laser cut tokens would be available to people who missed the Kickstarter?
Yes, we figured that out. And, yes, they will be made available after the game finally ships.

Quote:
Also, are there any comparison pics where we can see the laser cut token and the regular token side by side? It would be good to see exactly what the difference is, or hear from someone who's seen both versions.
That would be difficult to achieve, as we have yet to see the die-cut counter proofs from the printer!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of components... My biggest hope is for better cards. Something with a nicer finish so you can shuffle them properly.

Anyway, we'll see how things come out. If they don't shuffle well on their own, I will look into some tight fitting sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

I've punched a couple dozen VPG the past couple of years. I've found the "issue" of soot inconsequential. My gaming table is white and there is no residue after I punch the counters. I do wash my fingertips. Obviously, mileage and temperments vary. Since you admit you haven't bought any VPG games in a few years and you are clearly unaware of key development details for this project (i.e. laser-cut counters are not involved), you might want to do a little research before offering opinions based on out-of-date and irrelevant information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Despite the minor inconvenience of having to clean the sooty VPG counters, I love them a lot. Very thick, durable, always look good--I'd say even better looking than a lot of regular standard counters made by other companies.

I don't think I'd want minis with this, the ship counters are really well done and give a lot of flavor, by having the name of the ship, and each ship is its own little piece of art. Though, having the Nautilus a s a mini will be cool.
I'm with Gordon on this. Love the latest VPG counters. The soot is a minor inconvenience (no worse than having bits of paper/card hanging off die-cut cardboard counters), the ship counter art looks great, and I am looking forward to the cool Nautilus mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: New York Jets fanMicrobadge: New York Mets fanMicrobadge: Victory Point Games fan
Garfink wrote:

You do reLize that what you are seeing are pre-production beta copy,Nemo's War will look beautiful as it already does and it's a test Copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itsvan N
msg tools
I totally agree as well. I enjoy very much VPG deluxe components...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls