Popular Tags: [View All]
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how the redeemed cultist's ability to gain a stamina or sanity every time a doom token is added to the ancient one's track works during the fight against cthulu? It made it pretty easy since our cultist was able to cast shriveling every turn and just get back the sanity every time. We were able to take out Cthulu pretty quickly with everyone's combat rating from 12-15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Whalen
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
The holy dove, she will be caught again.
badge
Bought and sold, and bought again. The dove is never free.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it all depends on how you read Cthulu's attack. It says after he attacks you place one token back on his doom track. I'd say its mearly a judgment call. If you think 'place' is the same as 'add' then I think you did it right. Personally I wouldn't play it like that. I think the only time you add tokens to the doom track is during regular play. If there is anything questionable, that makes the final battle harder, I would always come down on the side of the GOO, as I feel that is inline with the theme of the game.

Liam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We don't fight AOs (if they awaken, it's game over), but if we did it, we wouldn't allow Diana's special ability to work during a fight against Cthulhu.
Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Cthulhu reduce your MAXIMUM Sanity and Stamina by 1 each time? I think that's the case, and if so, the Redeemed Cultist's ability won't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I think it is fairly self evident that when Cthulhu gets a token back, the Redeemed Cultist gets one health or one stamina back assuming she is not already at the maximum of either.

This does not seem like a game wrecking application of her skill to me.

Recall that when Cthulhu is afoot, you track your maximums separately from what you actually have. (Basically everyone auto-heals to their maximums and it goes down from there, actual values don't diminish until your maximum hits your actuals)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
In the end, as many issues about AH, play with the rule your group prefers.

beri wrote:
Doesn't Cthulhu reduce your MAXIMUM Sanity and Stamina by 1 each time? I think that's the case, and if so, the Redeemed Cultist's ability won't help.

The issue of the original poster is that Diana's ability could be used to cast a Spell usually costing a Sanity for free (for example, Shrivelling to get +6 Combat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:

The issue of the original poster is that Diana's ability could be used to cast a Spell usually costing a Sanity for free (for example, Shrivelling to get +6 Combat).

She definitely gets the points. They don't matter much anyway because it's the maximums being decreased, but she still gets them.
As for "free" shrivelling, that's too bad for Cthulhu. Maybe he should come knocking when he's not being opposed by someone who has experience as a cultist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espen G├Ątzschmann
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Shriveling, if I'm not mistaken it points out that it lasts "until the end of combat". In a battle against a GOO, we played that spells like this only needs to be cast once, after which their effect stays for all future combat rounds (as long as you keep the spell equipped, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have an upkeep phase in between battle rounds, the spells refresh and are to be cast anew. They clarified this in the FAQ (at least in the newest one, but I think the pre-Dunwich FAQ had this already incorporated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.