Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The KV2 scenario in the 2nd edition scenario book gives the soviets 12 cap and the Germans 6. In the computer game this is reversed.

Which is correct?

In the first edition scenario book the Russians have 12 and the Germans 6. Just played the scenario with the Russians having 12 caps and the Germnas have no hope...

Hence the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Played this firefight once too. Soviet player used Command Action Points to move KV2 towards germans on first round.

Never played this firefight again. 12Caps seems just too much.

Was the german player(me!) tactics too bad? Or is the firefight unbalanced with this 12 soviet CAPs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is winnable as the Germans but they have a FAR steeper learning curve in this one.
I have played it around 12 times (as we became obsessed with finding the solution to the puzzle), and I would say that with very experienced and competent play balance is around 60-40 in favour of the Russians
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is hope.

What was the general tactic used by the germans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Group moves and the use of smoke to obstruct the monster's line of sight untill you are ready to move into his hex or his rear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Cline
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Yes, I agree regarding the proper use of smoke. I think the 88, when it shows up, is the best option for dealing with the big baddie

Having made these statements, I've only played the scenario once, and it ended in a resounding victory for the Soviets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Karis
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:
Group moves and the use of smoke to obstruct the monster's line of sight untill you are ready to move into his hex or his rear
Sounds more like common sense than a solution for a puzzle...

It's kinda weird anyway when folks talk about the game like it's some kind of puzzle. The dice rolling has such a massive impact on how the battles play out that I can't see how the scenarios could possible ever have a "correct solution" to them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacKaris wrote:
It's kinda weird anyway when folks talk about the game like it's some kind of puzzle. The dice rolling has such a massive impact on how the battles play out that I can't see how the scenarios could possible ever have a "correct solution" to them?
If you play a scenario several times, you will see that certain strategies work better than others. In some cases a "correct solution" will lead to victory in the great majority of games, except with horrible die rolling, or may despite horrible die rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls