Subject: Did we win the Grizzled? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a two player game today with my fiancee. I had one card in hand, she had two. Mine was "Fragile" which means other players cannot withdraw if they have cards in hand. It was my fourth Hard Knock. She played her next card, a Shell Phobia, giving her three Hard Knocks. I then played my support token, withdrawing from the game. She played her final card, Prideful, her fourth Hard Knock. Neither of us had cards left in hand and the Peace card was visible. So, did we win?

I think we won because the treaty is signed when the dove is visible and all players have no cards in hand. She says we lose because we had four Hard Knocks each.

What do you all say?

(We had one card left on the memorial.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Rose
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a win.

It's an immediate win if the dove is showing and all players hands are empty, no matter what other cards may be in play.

It's also an immediate loss if the Memorial is ever showing.

The 4 Hard Knock loss condition is only checked at the end of a Mission round, AFTER support has been determined and any reward given. In the game you describe, that never triggered.

Enjoy your victory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thank you. We will mark it down on our win/loss record tracker.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twonkbot wrote:
it's a win.

It's an immediate win if the dove is showing and all players hands are empty, no matter what other cards may be in play.

It's also an immediate loss if the Memorial is ever showing.

The 4 Hard Knock loss condition is only checked at the end of a Mission round, AFTER support has been determined and any reward given. In the game you describe, that never triggered.

Enjoy your victory!

Actually, the support phase reads:

After the Support phase, if at least one player has 4 Hardship cards in front of him, the group immediately loses the game.
If not, and the Peace card is revealed while the players do not have any Threat cards in their hands, the group wins.

So, per version 1.1 of the rules, support is performed, then a check on hardships, THEN a check on Victory.

This would be a loss. (Unless there are updated, updated rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cohen
United States
Washington DC
DC
flag msg tools
mb
I think you're both mis-stating and mis-interpreting the rules.

The section you're referring to is (possibly?) this box that happens to be on the same page as the support rules:

Quote:

Defeat Condition
After the resolution of Support, a player with 4 or more Hard Knocks causes the group to fail and immediately ends the game.

Victory Condition
The Armistice is signed when the Trials pile is exhausted, the Peace card is visible and the players no longer have any cards in hand, they’ve made it through the Great War together and win the game. Bravo!

While that's on the support page of the rulebook, those are pretty clearly two separate clauses and the victory condition says nothing about the Support phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remleduff wrote:
I think you're both mis-stating and mis-interpreting the rules.

The section you're referring to is (possibly?) this box that happens to be on the same page as the support rules:

Quote:

Defeat Condition
After the resolution of Support, a player with 4 or more Hard Knocks causes the group to fail and immediately ends the game.

Victory Condition
The Armistice is signed when the Trials pile is exhausted, the Peace card is visible and the players no longer have any cards in hand, they’ve made it through the Great War together and win the game. Bravo!

While that's on the support page of the rulebook, those are pretty clearly two separate clauses and the victory condition says nothing about the Support phase.

In fact, the victory condition says that victory is achieved, WHEN there are no cards left in the trials pile and in the players hands. If it was a condition that is checked after support, it would say IF.

WHEN means that victory is immediate and not checked at the end of the support phase.

As a side note, this has now been explained multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.