Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am new to the site and don't really know how to interpret all the ratings data yet. Even if I did, I would still want to pose this question:
Which of the expansions do you consider the best? Is there a standout? Should they be purchased in order, one that should be grabbed first, etc?

Just curious because as a die hard Cthulhu fan (and I noticed a lot of elements are similar to Elder Sign, another game I really enjoy) I just ordered this, and plan on getting any expansion that is worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gubisi Róbert
Hungary
Székesfehérvár
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Forsaken Lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Microbadge: "Made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs."Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: English syntax to Jedi not important is!Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fan
Qutu wrote:
Forsaken lore will be The number 1 pick of most geeks here. You will see. My advice get them all.
-> This! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forsaken Lore is great.
I like Mountains of Madness very much because of its theme (the novel is one of my favorites).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
I would work towards picking everything up. The extra monsters, encounter cards, items and investigators really bring a lot of variety and depth to the game.

If you're not keen on picking up the big box Mountains of Madness straight away get Strange Remnants expansion because it adds more focus tokens and rules for the focus action that was introduced in Mountains of Madness. I can't imagine going back to playing Eldritch Horror without the focus action, it's a great addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Get them in the release order. While I believe Strange Remnants offers more per buck than Mountains of Madness it builds on what MoM put there (Unique Assets, Preludes, etc)so it makes most sense to buy them in the order they were released.

You don't need to buy them all but the game without Forsaken Lore is shaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qutu wrote:
Forsaken lore will be The number 1 pick of most geeks here. You will see. My advice get them all.
I actually think either Mountains of Madness or Strange Remnants is better as a first pick because they both include the Focus Action tokens which are a huge plus to the game. Without the Focus action your character can sometimes be stuck without anything that feels useful to do on a turn, it makes for a great backup action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
Qutu wrote:
I actually think either Mountains of Madness or Strange Remnants is better as a first pick because they both include the Focus Action tokens which are a huge plus to the game. Without the Focus action your character can sometimes be stuck without anything that feels useful to do on a turn, it makes for a great backup action.
You can use eldritch tokens a proxy tokens for focus; it's not like there's anything difficult about the concept. And not having any cards that references focus isn't terrible.

Forsaken Lore really rounds out the base game, and should be your first purchase. After that, it depends on your personal preference, though I've got a sneaking suspicion that Under the Pyramids would be my second choice. I was underwhelmed by the AOs in Mountains of Madness, and while I like Sgzyzy, it's definitely an oddball AO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
Qutu wrote:
What this guy said. If you want to win a game say in your first 10 tries get mountains instead of forsaken lore. Lore makes the game even harder... but truthfully get all of them and dive in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes I definitely plan on getting all of them without a doubt but financial restriction mean I have to do it one at a time. Just wanted to know if there were ones I should prioritize. Thank you all for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that Black Friday's coming up, so don't hesitate to pick up an expansion that's on sale! FL adds depth (more cards to the base game content), while MoM and SR add breadth (more variety of Ancient Ones to fight).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people recommend Forsaken Lore, but I'm thinking Strange Remnant has its merits.

Compared to FL, SR gives you
+NEW INVESTIGATORS
+focus tokens (so you don't have to proxy)
+preludes (variant setups)
+adventure deck (a new category of special encounters)
+mystic ruins deck (a new category of special encounters)
+glamour spells (a new category of spells)
+unique assets (completely different deck of assets)
+fairly different AO

=only moderate difficulty bump (Yig from FL bumps it up a lot which may or may not be your cup of tea)

-you get a little less of everything else (location/assets/spells/conditions/research)
-you're still stuck with 4 mysteries per AO from original game (a bit jarring because the new AO have 6 mysteries each)

Seems like a good trade to me, 3-6 completely new things depending on how you look at it, at the cost of stuff you more or less already have. So what if you see the same cards again? All encounters are essentially flavor text + some skill test anyways. I'd rather have new stuff, especially more investigators to play as. In fact, Strange Remnant basically has everything from Mountains of Madness (which was a little bit disappointing IMO), with it you can skip the big box unless you really want everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
Microbadge: Big Trouble in Little China: The Game fanMicrobadge: Secrets of the Lost Tomb fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Space Cadets: Away Missions fan
IMO Forsaken Lore increases the difficulty too much. Unless you are experienced with these kinds of games (EH, AH) and are looking for more of a challenge, you might be happier starting with Strange Remnants first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Please take the following into consideration because while there are many reasons to think that there are better expansions available than Forsaken Lore...

Forsaken Lore adds cards to the Old Ones' Mystery and Research Encounter decks, making them go from 4 to 6 cards and from 8 to 24 cards respectively. The Old Ones from each successive expansion already come with the standard 6/24 cards for each of those decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
Microbadge: Big Trouble in Little China: The Game fanMicrobadge: Secrets of the Lost Tomb fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Space Cadets: Away Missions fan
Unless you are an old hand at this game or at AH, I suggest you play enough with just the base game or the base game plus Strange Remnants or Mountains of Madness to get a few wins in before you add Forsaken Lore to the mix. You will build your confidence and experience, then when you add FL, you will better appreciate the extra cards it provides. I think the base game plus FL can be to difficult for some newcomers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would get them in this order:

Forsaken Lore > Strange Remnants > Mountains of Madness

Forsaken Lore drastically enhances your base game experience with the new mysteries und research encounters for all basegame ancient ones. Being able to properly play/replay four ancients > adding one proper ancient in my book.
Also I would recommend you just add the focus action even if you dont have an officially-focus-adding expansion yet. Its really easy to do and it just makes the game better.
Basically FL adds more of everything. But you should read it as "Only with FL added, the basegame actually has ENOUGH of everything.".

Strange Remnants adds some more cool stuff and new mechanics. Super solid and not as expensive as MoM, so I would recommend you get that second.

About Mountains of Madness I have to say I was rather disappointed with it. I feel like its signature ancient one, the Invasion of the Elder Things, isnt hard enough. Also, the sideboard isnt brutal enough (a focus for an improvement and an action, 100% success rate? yes pls)
The preludes are a great idea, but I feel that all preludes I played with in MoM made the game easier.
Considering that its also the priciest expansion, I wouldnt see it as a must-buy. All the generic stuff it adds is still cool, of course (encounters of all kind, conditions, spells, assets etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCarthy

Connecticut
msg tools
Yeah, what this guy said. Forsaken Lore completes the base game by making the first four GOO's fully playable and fattens up all the decks enough so you aren't seeing the same cards all the time. It DOES make the game more challenging, but that's why I like EH- it's cooperative and you have to play smart to have good odds of winning. And if it wasn't challenging it wouldn't be fun, you'd always win.

Also Forsaken Lore is well worth the money, it's a lot of bang for your buck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls