United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
No one knows for sure. I can understand arguments against doing so, but I count it as a survivor death. The way it's worded says they both die, and it's worded that the baby's death is on the same level as the death of the mother herself.

Common arguments against this:

1. "But it doesn't say pop -1 for the baby." It's a dramatic moment that would only be muddled with numbers. It technically doesn't say it for the mother either.

2. "But the baby would be too small to get a resource from." (For the cannibalism principle.) There's nothing on the resource cards saying how large the hides are, to use this for the sake of example. As you can get multiple hides from a single monster, clearly it's not like any single card is meant to represent a full hide, despite what the artwork may depict.

Just the reasoning behind my group's choice to play it as such. If there's uncertainty, put it to a vote in your group (as this is NOT a "Rule of Death" scenario despite people's attempts to overzealously apply it) until we get an official ruling on the matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
MrHlister wrote:
I kept looking through the book and couldn't find anything
Bless you Sir you are my new favourite person.

The only definition of giving birth is in the left column of the Intimacy page

P125
“(gains +1 population from Intimacy)”

All successful Intimacy rolls add +X to your population. A new survivor exists and can now die giving you Principle benefits. There is nothing in entry 2-3 about gaining +X survivors so I would personally say they don’t exist.

A roll of 2-3 won’t trigger the Story Event New Life Principle so I submit that it would not trigger other events like Cannibalism, etc.

But again play it how you feel is best until the FAQ arrives.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think so. IMHO, if a new survivor doesn't make it to the roster on the settlement sheet to get named, it never existed. Just my interpretation.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Concannon
msg tools
mb
Kingdom Death Monster: The game where someone asks whether the death of a mother and child, at birth, will trigger cannibalism so that the settlement can eat them for resources.

Umpire comes in and says, "Nah, not sure Dave. Mother definitely, but the kid? Close call."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how you can call the stillborn's death a "survivor death". It seems to me that the baby hasn't survived anything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
MrHlister wrote:
I kept looking through the book and couldn't find anything
Bless you Sir you are my new favourite person.

The only definition of giving birth is in the left column of the Intimacy page

P125
“(gains +1 population from Intimacy)”

All successful Intimacy rolls add +X to your population. A new survivor exists and can now die giving you Principle benefits. There is nothing in entry 2-3 about gaining +X survivors so I would personally say they don’t exist.

A roll of 2-3 won’t trigger the Story Event New Life Principle so I submit that it would not trigger other events like Cannibalism, etc.

But again play it how you feel is best until the FAQ arrives.

Phoenix
This makes sense to me. There is never actually a survivor added to the settlement on that roll so there isn't any way they can interact with anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As it is much more horrific to count the baby, I say it does count. Theme trumps all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
Let's just use the Rule of Death: The survivors cannibalizing the baby is the most horrible thing for the survivors, they'd be so traumatized!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Is it bad if "Rule of Death:" becomes an inside joke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trea The Hunter
msg tools
Olvenskol wrote:
I don't see how you can call the stillborn's death a "survivor death". It seems to me that the baby hasn't survived anything!

XD

But by that merit... "Survivor Death" is immediately oxymoronic.

"You found a Survivor's Corpse"

...uhhwhat? He's clearly not a survivor; he's totally not surviving now, is he?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls