Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
lemonline22 wrote:
I have a pawn in hand, as can be seen in the lower right diagram of the computer program I use.
Doh - didn't occur to me they were the same board.

I'm by far an expert, but that pawn at 3-6 seems to be limiting as 3-5 seems to be a key spot for you.

Just to spit ball a few ideas
- Start to climb your silver and change where the battle is happening?
- how to get rook into 3rd file?
- how to advance edge pawn (bishop at 3-5 would help)
- advance pawn on 6th file to get the bishop diagonal blocked so you can start using yours?
- p-16, ... , b-17, ... , b-3-5
- Gold at 6-1 is weak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I love about this game. If you do in exchange, it's a double edge sword!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Meuller
Sweden
Norrtälje
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you're already in trouble in that position. The opponent will be able to trade pawns in front of his rook and then the silver is stuck defending the 87 square. Not sure exactly how you reached that position but you should look to defend the bishop's head with the silver so that it doesn't get pushed back like this.

General ideas:
-Maybe spend less time castling initially, it seems you should've focused more on the left side before playing P46 and G47.
-B77, S47, R48 is a common shape against quick attacks, if he starts attacking the seventh file with the rook you can defend by moving your rook there.
-Fourth file rook is a defensive strategy where you usually aim to open up with P45 when the opponent launches his attack, if you have the stronger castle you can trade pieces since you should be able to use them more effectively (in theory at least ).
-Don't be afraid of exchanging bishops, it will only keep you from making progress. Every time you lose because of a bishop drop you have an opportunity to learn what kinds of drops to look for, both so you can defend your own formation and attack your opponents formation. After a while you know what to look for. Shogi is a game where you can't be scared of complicated situations.
-There is an excellent series of youtube videos by Hidetchi that covers quick attack opening theory against fourth file rook (and many other openings): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxZweFiymLA .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manabu Terao
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
I assume the turn to play in the giving position is Sente. If I were Sente, I would plan the following in consideration of trying to optimize my major pieces such as a Rook and a Bishop.

First. R-67, which could defend the 87 square horizontally. If Gote traded the Rook pawn with P-86 Px86 Rx86, then I could defend it with something like S-87 R-84 P*86 thanks to the Rook on 67.

Then. P-56, the idea behind this Pawn advancement to develop the Bishop to 57 to aim for the Rook on 84 or to 46 by way of the 79 square after pushing the fourth file Pawn to 45. Of course this is Sente's ideal development Gote would have to prevent.

Maybe after R-67, the following sequence is one of my readings.
R-67 P-64(meaning P-65 next to try to capture the Bishop for free if Sente took the sacrificing Pawn.)
P-56 P-65
P-55 Bx55
G-56 B-22
Gx65, P*55 or B-79(There are three alternatives to compare.)

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls