Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
The WEC changes the AF of units [x2 or x 1/2, etc.] in different situations, it should also change the DF in some situations.

The same DF should not be used for all kinds of combat. For example a CP would be almost useless in a CAT combat, but would be much "stronger" when attacked by indirect fire; but more infantrymen in a hex would be harder for I-class fire to hurt than less infantrymen.

There are already some changes in the DF for terrain, like x2 when defending against an up-hill attack. There should be changes for the type of weapon being used.

Note: these rules assume that H & M fire is divided by 3 [or 2 to 4] because the game made the numbers too high. Only point blank direct fire would be made at full AF. This means that a 40 AF H unit becomes a 13 AF in most situations. Also, it is hard to combine 2 H or M together, & harder for the Soviets.

1] When attacked by Artillery fire* [A, H, M, (H), or (M)** fire] the DF of some units should be changed.
. . a] Soviet Rifle and Gd. Inf. Comp. should be DF-5. The Soviet SMG Comp. should be DF-2. This is because putting more men into an area (hex) does not reduce loses from Art. fire it increased them.
. . b] All Inf. units with a DF of 6 or less should be DF+2. This is because these smaller units should be hurt less by Art. fire.
. . c] The CP has its DF raised from 1 to 8. This is because CP are so few men that Art. would find it hard to destroy them. It would have to get lucky.

2] When attacked by Artillery fire [H, M, (H), or (M) fire] the DF of some units should be changed. Note that in these 2 cases this does not apply to A-class fire.
. . a] AFV could be 2x DF instead of making the H and M fire be 1/2 AF. This is better because with my rules H and M fire are divided by 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on the situation and dividing by 2 again might be confusing. It also makes it more obvious that AFV are stronger than Soviet Inf. Comp. against H-class fire.
. . b] Towed guns (including mortars) are 2x DF when fired at with direct fire*** and 3x DF when fired at by indirect fire. This is because they are small targets and it doesn't apply too A-class fire so that AFV are better than AT guns in a 1 on 1 fight. {Direct fire is defined as when the Art. unit can "see" the target unit or hex, indirect fire is when a CP is used to direct the fire.}

Notes . * . With my rules H, M, (H), & (M) will sometimes be attacking each unit in the target hex separately with the same AF, but combining 2 or more of them into 1 AF is very limited by extra rules.
. ** . "(H) & (M)" means that the unit can make indirect fire attacks.
. ***. In some cases it will be better or necessary to double the AF of the Light H & M units (with AF of 2 to 5) because the original game reduced them for some reason. The PzIVe and StuGIIIb have a "5 H 10" weapon with 5 or 6 guns, compare this with the 75 mm Howitzer's AF of 20 with 4 guns and to the 75 mm Inf. Gun with an AF of 2 with 2 guns. This is one of those cases where it would be better to double the Lt. H & M. Alternately, we could use 2 unit counters to represent these guns. The AFV would still be a problem because now their DF might be too high. 4/12/16

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, this is very nice! Have you worked up a WEC for this (hint, hint!). If not, I will put one together and post to this thread.
[ImageID=https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2952435/tactical-gamex] Submitted for your perusal, upgraded German field guns, mortars, and AA. Field Artillery (H) units are downgraded, as they are inflated values, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
voyager2lcats wrote:
Steve, this is very nice! Have you worked up a WEC for this (hint, hint!). If not, I will put one together and post to this thread.
[ImageID=https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2952435/tactical-gamex] Submitted for your perusal, upgraded German field guns, mortars, and AA. Field Artillery (H) units are downgraded, as they are inflated values, IMO.
I was working on it when my computer crashed and so I lost interest. Maybe soon though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
I added the following note to the OP to make the context clearer.

Note: these rules assume that H & M fire is divided by 3 [or 2 to 4] because the game made the numbers too high. Only point blank direct fire would be made at full AF. This means that a 40 AF H unit becomes a 13 AF in most situations. Also, it is hard to combine 2 H or M together, & harder for the Soviets.

Point blank direct fire is AF/1 = full AF. 40 ==> 40
Close range direct fire is AF/2 = half AF. 40 ==> 20
Most ranges direst fire is AF/3 = one third AF. 40 ==> 13
All indirect fire is AF/4 = one quarter AF. 40 ==> 10.

The Germans can add one 3 AF mortar to an H or M to get a few more AF. The Soviets can't.

Two H or M can only be combined if they are adjacent or stacked and spend 1 full turn getting ready [or if they fired together at the same target last turn].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls