Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Capsicum,

Last night my geek buddy and I were finally able to set the game up and play it. We both quite enjoyed it and the last game was especially close (we were both left with the battleship and one frigate, mine with 1 hull point, his with 2 points and we were in the middle of the shifting asteroid fields!).

During our plays (3 total), we used all the advanced rules and none of the optionals, yet a few questions arose and we could use some help/confirmations:

1) even if you are playing with the advanced rules, you still cannot store more than TWO special dice on your command bridge, correct?

Destroyers and their special abilities:
2-1) the English wording in the special ability rule was not 100% clear (note: my geek buddy is a native english speaker). What we want to understand is if to use the destroyer's special ability you need to:
A) have one single destroyer ALONE in a square (i.e. NO other ship present, not even another destroyer)
B) have ONLY one or two destroyers in the square (in this case it would be similar to what you do with frigates), i.e. you only have destroyer(s) in the square
C) have a SINGLE destroyer in a square, which can be WITH or WITHOUT other ships.
In our games we played according to A which seemed the most restrictive.

2-2) can you make a range-3 attack using two dice? That is: using the first dice to double (hence 2 squares) and the second one for one square only, or viceversa? Is the same true for the frigates' special movement?
Put it another way: if you choose to use the special ability, do you have to choose it for the entire path (so if you want to attack/move at range 3 you can only do it with 3 dice)?

3) if a ship is destroyed by an asteroid permanent effect, does it count as eliminated by the opposing player?
Phrased a different way: my opponent has destroyed 7 class points worth of my fleet and I have a frigate (or any other ship) in an asteroid field with 1 hull point left. At the beginning of my turn I fail the asteroid field check (roll a special) and hence my frigate is eliminated: does he win the game at that point?
We played 'yes' as otherwise it would lead to some gamey situation where you are about to lose the game and decide to flee in an asteroid field and hope to die there instead of at the hands of your enemy (admittedly this is more a question out of speculation, since we do not think it would be that much fun for either player...).

4) when you are attacking from more than one adjecent square, ALL ships MUST participate in the attack, correct?
The main reason for asking is that if the defending player can play a counter-attack, he is free to choose which square to counter-attack and it may actually kill one of your other ships (i.e. not one from the original attacking square) and, paradoxically, may win the game (this almost happened a couple of times to us).

Special Weapons.
5-1) On page 8 it says that the weapon is chosen at the start of the game. The game comes with only one token of each weapon: if both players want the same weapon? Roll a die and award it accordingly?

5-2) This is not really a rule question, but more of a play-balance issue. The Vortex Missiles look VERY powerful, perhaps too much. The reason is that it does 4 damage ANYWHERE on the board (no range restriction as for the Proton Ray or the Drones) and it cannot be countered.
PS: my buddy probably does not agree since he wiped three of my ships each game with it!!!

Thanks!

Now, really looking forward to the KS expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mackie
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
The guys at Capsicum are pretty good at answering questions so hopefully have something official but will help out as much as I can. With the kickstarter coming soon would be good to get early access to the rulebook so questions like this can come up and the rules tightened up before printing.

1 Can store 4 special dice, the left hand squares are fore unused dice, could be special unused dice?

2-1 Think this one may be lost in translation and may need clarification this is how I interpret it, a square containing the destroyers may make a double attack but only the destroyers may attack, for example a square containing a Destroyer and a Frigate, you could make a normal attack strength 3 or make a special long range attack at strength 2. Same would go for Frigate movement.

2-2 Firing at range 3 should be possible using combined attack with two dice, using a long range attack at 2 square and then a adde a normal attack die at 1 square.

3 Yes I would say the enemy could claim that kill. The enemy has forced you into that position. Think you might have confused class points and hull points a bit in the question though.

4 Doesn't actually say in the rulebook. Would say you could make a partial attack if you wanted, seems logical

5-1 Seems fair, could roll for it, flip a coin, arm wrestle or other gentlemens agreement, or just buy a second copy, problem solved

5-2 Vortex missles can't be used in adjacent squares so just get up close and personal with the battleship.

Hope my ramblings help, main thing is have fun, don't let the rules bog you down too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris,

Thanks for your answers, really appreciate it!

For 2-1: beware that for Frigates movement, the square must be occupied by them ONLY to work...

Also, I edited question 3: thanks for the catch!

I agree with you across the board: I want their KS to be a success and if this helps, even better.

And no, no worries, we DID have fun!

And now let's see the official ruling on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduard Navratil
Czech Republic
Vizovice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, many of the answers are already here in the forum (save those in my mailbox).

Quote:
1) even if you are playing with the advanced rules, you still cannot store more than TWO special dice on your command bridge, correct?
That's right, you can store special results on designated spaces only- it's even in the rules... I had to ask this question too, as I had skipped the part as well.

Quote:
What we want to understand is if to use the destroyer's special ability you need to: A) have one single destroyer ALONE in a square (i.e. NO other ship present, not even another destroyer)
This is correct. It's even mentioned as an official answer in some threads.

I think that the rules above present restrictions to pile more decision points on players.

Quote:
3) if a ship is destroyed by an asteroid permanent effect, does it count as eliminated by the opposing player?
While this answer is not official, I believe you lose in the moment your fleet is reduced to one third or less no matter the means.

Quote:
4) when you are attacking from more than one adjecent square, ALL ships MUST participate in the attack, correct?
Again not official, and I do not have the rules at hand, but I don't think the supporting attacks are mandatory.

Regarding 5, we split the spec wpns pile in two and we each make a secret choice from the respective pile. And in our games, the proton ray is the most feared, as the battleship killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls