Popular Tags: [View All]
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb

I Love this game and Star Realms as well so I decided to take the official solo scenario for Star Realms Promo and adapt it to this game.

SOLO CHALLENGE

You take the first turn. All normal rules apply

CTHULHU starts with 50 sanity. On CTHULHU´s turn ABJURE the card in the trade row furthest from the main deck. Place the abjured card face down in front of the CTHULHU. Then CTHULHU gains combat equal to the number of face down cards in front of it. Reveal a new card from the main deck to fill the empty spot in the row. The color of the card revealed determines CTHULHU´s ability for that turn (see below).

CTHULHU uses its combat to destroy locations whenever possible unless it can reduce your sanity to zero. CTHULHU always attacks the location with the most defense which it can destroy (you choose on ties). If you have no locations, CTHULHU attacks you directly. NEXUS and SANCTUARIES protect you and your other locations as normal. Once CTHULHU has used all of its combat its turn ends.

If you would make target opponent discard a card, instead you draw a card, then discard a card. If you would destroy target location, instead you gain 3 combat.

CTHULHU ABILITIES

If the card ABJURED IS:

YELLOW: You discard two cards
MAGENTA: Put a random card in your hand on top of your deck
GREEN: CTHULHU destroys target location. If you have none, it gains +2 combat.

EXTRA RULES

After CTHULHU attacks it gains an amount of life equal to half the number of face down cards it has (rounded down).

If an effect demands a discard count the CTHULHU RED & YELLOW ability to activate the effect.

If an effect demands an abjure count only the abjures you do with another effect.

LEVEL: INTERMEDIATE

Mix the Goons that are not used into the main deck. When the row is replenished if a Goon is drawn it´s abjured and hits you immediately with a sanity damage.

LEVEL: HARD

When CTHULHU removes the card from the row it abjures any card with a SANITY GAIN SYMBOL (the head with a possitive number within) and adds it´s number to it´s sanity.

NOTES

I had a blast with this and all my games have been very challenging. I ll test the cooperative rules as well and post them as soon as I see they are as challenging as this one.

Have fun! And if you have any question feel free to ask

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dheyrdre Machado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to try, but can you explain more about combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of your turn Cthulhu gets the farther card from the main deck (from the 5 cards in the middle row) and adds it facedown to it´s power. Then Cthulhu attacks with a strengh equal to the number of facedown cards it has. Basically this is a timer. The more it takes you to defeat IT the more powerfull IT will become as each turn IT will attack you with more strengh.

Let me know if this is the clarification you were searching for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Do you wanna play a game?
badge
We are all prisoners inside the cage of our own flesh.
mbmbmbmbmb
willdesigns wrote:
The color of the card revealed determines CTHULHU´s ability for that turn.
willdesigns wrote:
If the card ABJURED IS...
Only one question: Does the color of the card revealed or the card ABJURED determines CTHULHU´s ability for the turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dheyrdre Machado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willdesigns wrote:
At the end of your turn Cthulhu gets the farther card from the main deck (from the 5 cards in the middle row) and adds it facedown to it´s power. Then Cthulhu attacks with a strengh equal to the number of facedown cards it has. Basically this is a timer. The more it takes you to defeat IT the more powerfull IT will become as each turn IT will attack you with more strengh.

Let me know if this is the clarification you were searching for
Cthulhu attacks my sanity?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The color of the card abjured by CTHULHU determines the ability of his attack.

And yes, CTHULHU attacks your sanity. After all IT sleeps in Rlyeh. Once IT fully awakens it´s the end of human kind. So for now IT just drives you crazy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great, I can't wait to give it a try.

Quote:
If you would destroy target location, instead you gain 3 combat.
I think I might try making destroy location result in one less card on Cthulhu's tableau. Seems more thematic to me. I'll have to see if it shifts the balance too much.

Quote:
I'll test the cooperative rules as well and post them as soon as I see they are as challenging as this one.
Yes please! I look forward to this follow up. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Give a try to your variant and if you like it I ll add it as a variant to the rules

Havent try the coop rules yet but soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After Cthulhu plays an ability that makes me discard cards do I draw back up to my hand limit?

Cthulhu uses his Yellow ability forcing me to discard two cards.
I then:
1)Discard two cards and play my next turn with only three cards
2)Discard two cards and then draw back up to my hand limit.

I played that option 2 was correct but I am not sure if it actually is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I m afraid it´s option 1)

You play with only 3 cards the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
willdesigns wrote:
I m afraid it´s option 1)

You play with only 3 cards the next round.

Doh!!

That means I lost even worse than I thought I did.

Nice variant for solo play though,very challenging.

It seems like if you aren't able to get locations out quickly you get screwed pretty quickly. At least that what happened to me,I am not very experienced with this game yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The good thing about the rules is that you have certain control on what you are allowing the AI to do on it´s turn. Because it´s effect depends on what type of cards you let it execute. That is the beauty of the solo rules from star realms. They are very original and well defined so that no 2 games are the same and you always have a challenge ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bourg Ghislain
France
Dijon
flag msg tools
Nice variant ! I haven't tried it yet but it's interesting.

So, on Cthulhu's turn, he does 4 things :
1. abjure the last card of the row,
2. attack, with an attack value equal to the number of abjured cards in front of him,
3. gain an amount of of life equal to half the number of face down cards it has (rounded down),
4. draw a card to complete the row and activate one of three effect, depending on the colour of the drawn card

I think there's a mistake in your description. Just under the title "Cthulhu's abilities", you wrote "if the card abjured is".
Does it mean that the card which triggers Cthulhu's ability is
(a) the one he abjure at the start of his turn, or
(b) the card he draws to complete the row ?
This point is a game changer : if (a), I can't predict which Cthulhu's ability will be triggered. If (b), I can.

Also, I don't understand the extra rule "If an effect demands a discard count the CTHULHU RED & YELLOW ability to activate the effect."
> To my understanding, if I play a card with a "discard" condition, I must have discarded another card during my turn (not my opponent).

Finally, your variant makes me think of a set of variants combining two elements :

1. First, choose or pick which Elder God you want to fight.
Elder Gods would have different powers.

For example,
> Azathoth gets stronger and stronger : each turn, he takes the last card of the row and activates the ability corresponding to its colour. The "intensity" of his ability depends on the number of cards he has in this colour.
> Nyarlathotep hides in the shadows : to determine his ability, you draw a card.
> Dagon wants "summonin power" and his abilities depends on the cost of the cards he take : cheap cards trigger violent abilities while expensive cards trigger less powerful abilities
> Hastur's abilities depends on the type of the card he abjures (character, location, artifact)...

2. Second, choose or pick three objective (as in the app).
> Collecting certain cards
> Abjuring a certain type of cards during one turn
> ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fanMicrobadge: Witch of Salem fan
Can someone actually beat it? I am playing near 10 times with just basic rules and can only ones. Does I am playing this correct:
My first turn - I have 3 cards and 50 health.
Cthulhu's turn - He get 1 farthest card and 50 health, then apply abjured card's color effect, then he spend his combat ( usually 1, but if abjured card was green its 3).
My second turn - I have five cards
Cthulhu's turn - he abjured another card and get 2 combat...

Then Cthulhu's get 3,4,5,6,7,8... combat each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls