Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liar's Dice is cheaper, and I have a housemate who loves it (including the player elimination). But I thought I'd fish about before I get it. Especially since my guru, Chris Farrell, says that there are better options than Liar's dice in modern games (without mentioning what they are, monstrously).

Should I be looking to Las Vegas instead? Other games?

It seems like it should be very similar, just without player elimination.

What about the Boulevard expansion to this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bent Nikolaisen
Norway
flag msg tools
Personal favourite is the Bluff incarnation of Liars Dice. Las Vegas is only similar in that you use dice. Las Vegas falls flat in a "kind" playing environment. It is best in the "six bastards around a table" setting.
Both are good though...
Oh, and Boulevard is a nice expansion with modules, but not essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Las Vegas is much superior and a lot of fun in any number including 2. The expansion is only essential if you like even more fun and options for your gaming experience. Most age groups can play and it has never fallen flat in my gaming group. Nobody turns down a chance to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No.

The two games are not similar except in that they both use dice.

Liars Dice is straight push your luck.

Las Vegas is area control. The dice decide what area you might get to control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Similar amounts of fun, groans, celebrations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: Decktet challenge!Microbadge: Spirit Island - BlightMicrobadge: You will start to feel very sleepy...
They are utterly different games.

I find Las Vegas to be slow, because there's too much downtime and nothing to pay attention to between your turns. There is no information from other peoples' turns that you don't just get from looking at the game state when it comes back around to you.

Liar's Dice is game of bluffing and hidden information. Turns are short, so there's not much downtime. And you need to pay attention when it's not your turn, anyway.

That said, maybe you want a relaxed game where one player can get up and make a sandwich when its not their turn. And Las Vegas has more explicit, out-in-the-open competition than Liar's Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inkey jones
msg tools
Liar's dice has player elimination - if that's not a big issue than it is easily the better game of the two.

And you can't really compare the two

But as games - I think Liar's Dice is much more fun. It's not a push your luck game at all. It is a bluffing game... but also a game of probibilty, and math [to be skilled]... and memory... and yet it is a load of fun

Las Vegas is a roll some dice and place them where you can. Some strategy. But no where near the same league as Liar's Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Djembe playerMicrobadge: Harmonica fanMicrobadge: Banjo pickerMicrobadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: Taoist
Nothing alike. Liars dice is a fine game. You can play liars dice with a Las Vegas set. Just print out one of the many boards and start rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls